Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 17th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 767Posts
    • 192Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Weight loss
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    Weight loss 17th Mar 17 at 6:26 PM
    This may be a stupid question.

Are there any tablets from doctors or health shops that are available to lose waist and belly fat? Can’t seem to lose weight through walking or jogging.

Any advice please.

Thanks
Page 2
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 19th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    • 9,226 Posts
    • 13,839 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I can pretty much agree with your calorie burning, and would think that we are exercising at around the same level, which would IMO be too difficult for most people to achieve.
    I tend to use the cross trainer or bike for my cardio work (five times a week 35 minute sessions). Rather than use the calorie counter on the gym equipment (which does not take into account weight), I use the number of Metpoints per minute, which for 20 minutes on the bike was 9.2, which when taking into account my weight, means that I burned 309 calories in 20 minutes and then another 131 calories during my 15 minute cooldown. The twenty minutes was mostly at level 11 (95RPM), with a block of five x one minute intervals.
    In addition to this I also use resistance machines and free weights, two or three of these after the cardio work.
    I am steadily losing weight, but considering what I eat, it is not exactly dropping off.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Until a few years ago, I just used to run, but I found that I was injured about 3 months of the year, I so started to cycle as well, then later I also started hiking. What really surprised me about the hiking was that it was a huge calorie burner, and also I could do it every day (time permitting). I just got back from a run, and the next thing that I am going to do is add weight training sessions to my schedule, I've got a multi gym and dumb bells that I haven't used for a while. I didn't have time before, but I dropped down to working only one day a week in January, as an alternative to early retirement.

My biggest downfall is wine, but I am working on reducing that now, it isn't just the calories, its also the alcoholic units that I need to reduce.
    Last edited by chucknorris; 19-03-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now also hike, cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.

For the avoidance of doubt Chuck Norris is an actor and an ex martial artist (not me)
    • andygb
    • By andygb 19th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 11,750 Posts
    • 25,323 Thanks
    andygb
    Until a few years ago, I just used to run, but I found that I was injured about 3 months of the year, I so started to cycle as well, then later I also started hiking. What really surprised me about the hiking was that it was a huge calorie burner, and also I could do it every day (time permitting). I just got back from a run, and the next thing that I am going to do is add weight training sessions to my schedule, I've got a multi gym and dumb bells that I haven't used for a while. I didn't have time before, but I dropped down to working only one day a week in January, as an alternative to early retirement.

My biggest downfall is wine, but I am working on reducing that now, it isn't just the calories, its also the alcoholic units that I need to reduce.
    Originally posted by chucknorris
    Mine too, I particularly like red wine from the South of France (Rhone, Luberon etc).
    If you want to start a bit of weight training, then training for endurance is probably the way to go, doing three to five sets of 12 to 15 reps of lighter weights. I use 10KG dumbbells, to do bicep curls, and whilst it doesn't sound very heavy, you certainly start to feel the burn around number 10 or 12 of the reps, and the last set is a killer.
    I am also experimenting with going to the gym before work in the morning, having not eaten since 6.30 the previous evening. I did four sessions this week and didn't feel too bad. I have heard that guys lose weight if they eat after exercise and girls lose weight if they eat before (a couple of hours before) exercise.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 19th Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 19,181 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    There are no pills that fix this.

I suggest a new pair of kitchen scales & weigh exactly everything you eat.

Frankly, it's an eyeopener & helps not just count calories but also makes it a lot easier to get back on the wagon if you find you've slipped off.

Once you've shed a few pounds you'll have more voom to take exercise with & that starts a virtuous cycle of exercise because it's fun leading to being able to eat almost anything (within reason!).

Start with a food diary, weights & calories. And all the measurements - waist, arms, belly etc, so you have a clear start point.
    Best of luck!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 18,048 Posts
    • 45,994 Thanks
    Pollycat
    You cannot spot reduce fat.

Whilst specific core and abdominal work will increase strength and stability in those areas it will do nothing about the layers of fat covering.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    So why are there exercise dvds, books & trainers on TV touting exercises on bums, tums etc?
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 19th Mar 17, 3:15 PM
    • 23,087 Posts
    • 89,304 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    So why are there exercise dvds, books & trainers on TV touting exercises on bums, tums etc?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Because people will pay for something that promises to work even if it doesn't. Like the 'magic' pills and potions that promise almost instant weight loss without changing what they eat.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 19th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    fireblade28
    It's false marketing. You also notice they use great looking people who defo didn't get to look like that doing the workout!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 18,048 Posts
    • 45,994 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Because people will pay for something that promises to work even if it doesn't. Like the 'magic' pills and potions that promise almost instant weight loss without changing what they eat.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    It's false marketing. You also notice they use great looking people who defo didn't get to look like that doing the workout!
    Originally posted by fireblade28
    Well, I've been doing light exercises with small hand weights and can definitely see a difference in my 'bingo wings'.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 19th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Because generally people fall for it, and you cannot make much money selling gimmicks by telling the truth. Hence they bend it as much as they can legally get away with.

Like the cheap exercise equipment you see on shopping channels. They employ people will good physiques to demonstrate it. But I think its a pretty sure bet the models never actually use any of that junk.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 19th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Well, I've been doing light exercises with small hand weights and can definitely see a difference in my 'bingo wings'.
    You can build muscle in specific areas but not lose fat.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 20th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 11,750 Posts
    • 25,323 Thanks
    andygb
    Because generally people fall for it, and you cannot make much money selling gimmicks by telling the truth. Hence they bend it as much as they can legally get away with.

Like the cheap exercise equipment you see on shopping channels. They employ people will good physiques to demonstrate it. But I think its a pretty sure bet the models never actually use any of that junk.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap

So, how do you build a six pack if you "never actually use any of that junk"?
    I used a Bullworker when I was in my twenties (around twenty five years ago), and it certainly worked on building defined muscle groups.
    People do not have good physiques without working at it. Sure, you can be skinny but you won't have any muscle definition.
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 21st Mar 17, 9:58 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    fireblade28
    I used a Bullworker when I was in my twenties (around twenty five years ago), and it certainly worked on building defined muscle groups.
    People do not have good physiques without working at it. Sure, you can be skinny but you won't have any muscle definition.
    You build it using weights so you increase the size of your abs and diet so that you have 10% bf or less so that you can see them. I don't think most people understand what it takes. Most skinny normal people have a body fat of like 20% which is double what you need to see abs.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 21st Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Personally I do side crunches with a medicine ball, planks and hanging leg raises.

Though you will see nothing unless you have a sufficiently low bf%.

People do not have good physiques without working at it..
    Who said otherwise?
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 29th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    cycling 100 miles in one go.
    .....an odd way of putting it.
    • givememoney
    • By givememoney 1st Apr 17, 5:48 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    givememoney
    When my DD married 10 years ago we both went to Weight Watchers for a few months and both lost a couple of stone without doing any exercise whatsoever.

Needless to say we have both put it back on since. Not all in my case but some
    • Bob_Dean
    • By Bob_Dean 4th Apr 17, 3:33 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Bob_Dean
    When you are hungry try drinking a pint of water. This can help you to cut snacks from your diet.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Apr 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 6,484 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I used to walk miles (once walked from London to Brighton in one go) but always stayed the 'big girl'.

Joined Slimming World & have lost 3 stone so far. I go swimming three times a week for an hour.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • fangoose
    • By fangoose 6th Apr 17, 11:29 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    fangoose
    Warrior diet for me. Eat evening meal only a d exercise dying the day before eating. 2 stone in 3 months. Not bad for an old 'un.
    you really don't need loads of meals a day and if your routine revolves around an evening family meal this is ideal as you can eat whatever you want
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 7th Apr 17, 11:38 AM
    • 7,672 Posts
    • 15,443 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    I think weight training helps a lot with toning and tightening up through the waist and tummy. Also for the first time lately I'm doing intensive core training - which I HATE - but I think it is making a difference. Also eating more protein and fat and less carbs (not necessarily the full atkins but just focusing on eating more protein where possible). And for my money sugar (including alcohol) is the absolute worst thing for spread around the waist and belly.

You can take pills if you want but unless you make lifestyle changes you'll be back in the same boat next year.

• nitya
    • By nitya 18th Apr 17, 1:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nitya
    Try to avoid Oil foods, Junk foods. Make a habit daily exercises like walking, jogging,at least 15-20 minutes per a day.
    By Doing Exercise you can reduce weight and make you healthy.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 21st Apr 17, 5:55 AM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Try to avoid Oil foods, Junk foods. Make a habit daily exercises like walking, jogging,at least 15-20 minutes per a day.
    By Doing Exercise you can reduce weight and make you healthy.
    Originally posted by nitya
    Avoid junk foods yes, but fats (including in oil form) are essential macronutrients that need to be consumed in appropriate amounts.

I would advise medium or intense exercise 3x per week, rather than non taxing exercise every day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,071Posts Today

7,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin