Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 25th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,394Posts
    • 1,333Thanks
    footyguy
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!
    • 25th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended! 25th Feb 17 at 2:02 PM
    Seems SSE have taken umbrage at Ebico getting into bed with Robin Hood Energy, and the long term partnsership is over:

SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time. As a result, we have brought our partnership with SSE to a close.
    read more here:
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/
Page 10
    • Smurrfmo
    • By Smurrfmo 17th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Smurrfmo
    Very cheeky of SSE to be writing letters like this on behalf of Ebico but that is for the two of them to resolve. As l need a no standing charge tariff I called Ebico and processed a move to the RH zero tariff. It saves a smidgen over the current Ebico tariff, time will tell whether it was a wise move on my part.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 17th Mar 17, 2:45 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    uk1
    I have had a meter reader arrive today so either that is a coincidence or it means our gas supply for our kitchen hob has moved to Ebico and Robin Hood and his Merry men. Time will tell. I don't care anymore.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 17th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Mee
    Glad I 'phoned Ebico
    Apparently Ebico were made aware of the SSE letter by a member of staff who is also an Ebico customer.

I didn't receive the Ebico transition letter because I'm not on their transition database even though I've been a customer for several years. They're investigating why.

I need to decide whether to go for their Zero tariff with 1% discount for DD or not... Apparently, it means a supplier change so can take up to 3 weeks - hopefully before 28/4!

I'm a really low energy user so will probably stay with Ebico.
    You can click the Thanks button if you want

• LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 17th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 5,442 Posts
    • 2,534 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I have had a meter reader arrive today so either that is a coincidence or it means our gas supply for our kitchen hob has moved to Ebico and Robin Hood and his Merry men. Time will tell. I don't care anymore.
    Originally posted by uk1
    Well I hope the meter reader goes round the front and reads the external gas meter himself without knocking on my back door as per the SSE reader. They only do this as there is no road access at the front and they are too lazy to park at the end of the street and walk the footpath.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 17th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    uk1
    Well I hope the meter reader goes round the front and reads the external gas meter himself without knocking on my back door as per the SSE reader. They only do this as there is no road access at the front and they are too lazy to park at the end of the street and walk the footpath.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    A few years ago whilst we were away a G4S reader decided to let himself into our garage and scrape some studs on his jacket along the side of my expensive car. Of course it was two weeks ie after we returned saw the damage, looked at the cctv and contacted G4S who didn't want to know. Don't you just love them ...
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 17th Mar 17, 9:56 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    Very cheeky of SSE to be writing letters like this on behalf of Ebico but that is for the two of them to resolve. As l need a no standing charge tariff I called Ebico and processed a move to the RH zero tariff. It saves a smidgen over the current Ebico tariff, time will tell whether it was a wise move on my part.
    Originally posted by Smurrfmo
    I don't think a 20-25% saving can be classified as "a smidgen"
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 17th Mar 17, 10:03 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    Apparently Ebico were made aware of the SSE letter by a member of staff who is also an Ebico customer.

I didn't receive the Ebico transition letter because I'm not on their transition database even though I've been a customer for several years. They're investigating why.

I need to decide whether to go for their Zero tariff with 1% discount for DD or not... Apparently, it means a supplier change so can take up to 3 weeks - hopefully before 28/4!

I'm a really low energy user so will probably stay with Ebico.
    Originally posted by Mee
    I applied a couple of days ago, and my supply is switching early April.

What happens on 28/04?
    If you read the info carefully, you will see as long as SSE are notified of an intended switch occurs before 26/05, you'll be fine

Although the sonner you switch, the sooner you'll save!
    (Do not switch if you receive WHD)
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 18th Mar 17, 3:10 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Originally posted by Smurrfmo
    Oh come on; SSE has been doing that for close on 20 years because they manage the Ebico tariffs. What's next? Is Ebico going to object to SSE charging the Direct Debit for equigas and Equipower? ROFL.

I don't think a 20-25% saving can be classified as "a smidgen"
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I'd love to see how you worked that out. Personally in the Eastern region, on an annual spend of £197.46p I would save £10.85p if I moved to Ebico Zero and paid by direct debit as I do now. In fact Iresa is very close to that with a saving of £10.41p on their fixed for 12 months tariff.

In consideration of the fact that the Ebico Zero tariff is only guaranteed until December 2017 and a price rise after that date likely, customers looking to save money could be better off switching to Iresa fixed for 12 months and not Ebico Zero variable.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 18th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    Stuart_W

I'd love to see how you worked that out.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Footguy has worked out the difference between Equipower and Ebico Zero because unlike you, they understand that the Equipower tariff will increase between 15 and 20% on 28th April.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 18th Mar 17, 11:25 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Footguy has worked out the difference between Equipower and Ebico Zero because unlike you, they understand that the Equipower tariff will increase between 15 and 20% on 28th April.
    Originally posted by Stuart_W
    So is it 15% or 20% or somewhere in between? There is still no confirmation that the increase applies to Ebico tariffs, no press reports and no official announcement, SSE only saying that it affects the standard tariff and the increase not applying to pay-as-you-go:
    You won't be affected by this price increase if:

You're on one of our fixed price energy tariffs OR
    You have a Pay As You Go meter
    https://sse.co.uk/price-change

All we have is unconfirmed reports from Ebico itself and unconfirmed reports of a letter relating to a price increase which I have still not received.

We have discussed this before you know.

In any event my recommendation of Iresa fixed for 12 months still applies. In the likely event that the Ebico Zero tariff price increases in December 2017, the Iresa fixed tariff will then be cheaper than Ebico Zero. At this time in the Eastern region in which I live, Ebico Zero paid by direct debit is only £0.44p per year cheaper than Iresa fixed for 12 months. Read back to my previous post.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 18-03-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    • bikeman
    • By bikeman 20th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    bikeman
    First I get a letter from Ebico saying I don't have to do anything and I will get moved to RH on Ebico Zero.

Then I get a letter from SSE telling of their price rise.

I contact Ebico and get told that their original letter was wrong and I do have to opt in.

When I try to opt in via the website I get :
    Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred while executing the custom error page for the first exception. The request has been terminated.

Cant get through by phone.

This a a shambles.
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 20th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    squiggles
    First I get a letter from Ebico saying I don't have to do anything and I will get moved to RH on Ebico Zero.

I contact Ebico and get told that their original letter was wrong and I do have to opt in.

Runtime Error

Description: An exception occurred while processing your request. Additionally, another exception occurred while executing the custom error page for the first exception. The request has been terminated.

This a a shambles.
    Originally posted by bikeman
    This is identical to my situation.

I do think ebico should have contacted me again letting me know the first letter was incorrect and I had to opt in rather than the stated do nothing.
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 20th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    Inigo Montoya
    My ebico zero started today - smooth for me apart from no DD set up but I can live with that as I can pay with cashback CC instead as long as they dont add a fee for CC payment
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 20th Mar 17, 4:59 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Anthorn
    My switch to Scottish Power is becoming problematic: I received an acknowledgement of my switch from Scottish Power on Friday but nothing from Ebico nor SSE. I phoned Ebico today which took quite some time to get through only to learn that they cannot trace my account. I'm phoning Ebico again tomorrow and if their response is the same I'll be phoning SSE. If their response is the same I'll be cancelling their direct debit which was used today. What's going on I just don't know. My switch is scheduled by Scottish Power for March 30.
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 20th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Patr100
    Lots of conflicting and confusing stuff. I only got the " We are moving to RHE unless you opt out" paper letter. No emails. No second letter from SSE yet. I only knew of that from this thread and links in it.

Anyway the RHE deal suits me so to opt in hopefully for sure, I have registered at the ebico choice website and await my "welcome pack" though surprised I have yet to have any email confirming as well.
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 20th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    My ebico zero started today - smooth for me apart from no DD set up but I can live with that as I can pay with cashback CC instead as long as they dont add a fee for CC payment
    Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
    This is what I was thinking, although if no DD is set up (which is exactly what has happened to me, too, on my Ebico Zero account) might be worth making sure the DD price is charged on the account - I have a 15.70p/kWh electric price but it becomes 15.87p/kWh if I am not paying by direct debit. My contract states the lower price, but if there is no DD set up I don't know if that is what will actually be charged. The 1% difference will wipe out credit card cashback.

It may just be that direct debits are not set up yet. Seems strange there is not option to enter DD details within the online account yet.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 20-03-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 20th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy

Runtime Error

This a a shambles.
    Originally posted by bikeman
    You needed to contact them by 15 March, as specified in the letter they sent you, albeit it wrongly suggested you needed to do nothing.

If you want to swich to Ebico Zero, simply switch via the Ebisco website, choosing SSE as your current supplier.

They will switch you in 3 weeks after application.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 20th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 3,394 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    footyguy
    This is identical to my situation.

I do think ebico should have contacted me again letting me know the first letter was incorrect and I had to opt in rather than the stated do nothing.
    Originally posted by squiggles
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/letter-confusion-so-are-we-reducing-or-increasing-prices/

...We had hoped to make switching to our cheaper tariffs as simple as possible for our EquiGas/EquiPower customers. However, unfortunately our former supply partner, SSE, has been unable to support the transfer of customers to our new supply partner. So, we must now ask our EquiGas/EquiPower customers to confirm to us that they want to make the move to Ebico Zero. Customers who have not yet let us know that they would like to switch to Ebico Zero, and do not tell us that they would like to do so, will remain supplied by SSE on the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff and will be subject to the increase in the electricity price...
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 20th Mar 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    My switch to Scottish Power is becoming problematic: I received an acknowledgement of my switch from Scottish Power on Friday but nothing from Ebico nor SSE. I phoned Ebico today which took quite some time to get through only to learn that they cannot trace my account. I'm phoning Ebico again tomorrow and if their response is the same I'll be phoning SSE. If their response is the same I'll be cancelling their direct debit which was used today. What's going on I just don't know. My switch is scheduled by Scottish Power for March 30.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Communication between SSE and Ebico is clearly down the toilet as we are all finding. I wouldn't bother wasting time contacting either at the moment. There is no harm in cancelling the direct debit as the tariff is the same for any payment method, you'll just have a final bill to pay, or in my case a final credit refund due. Just keep an eye on a final bill produced by SSE within a couple of weeks of giving your meter reading to Scottish Power. That's my plan. I need to submit my meter read on Wednesday.

It may simply be that during the 14-day cooling off period, nothing happens, so you've heard nothing from SSE because they've heard nothing from Scottish Power. Once the cooling off period has lapsed, it can then all move fairly swiftly if there are no complications.

But Ebico and no complications? Not much chance there.
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 21st Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    squiggles
    You needed to contact them by 15 March, as specified in the letter they sent you, albeit it wrongly suggested you needed to do nothing.

If you want to swich to Ebico Zero, simply switch via the Ebisco website, choosing SSE as your current supplier.

They will switch you in 3 weeks after application.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Thank you for taking the time to post this for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin