Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 20,135Posts
    • 228,740Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 20th March 2017
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 20th March 2017 19th Mar 17 at 6:55 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. Its been lovely to see some de-lurkers and some newcomers; do please post even if it's just to say 'list completed'

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday RECLAIM YOUR LOUNGE

Level 1

Fling the window(s) open.
    Empty bins
    Attend to plants - wipe leaves, water
    Attend to flowers - whizz or water; root out floppy flowerheads
    Clean windows
    Wipe window frames
    Dust curtain tracks

Level 2

Plump cushions
    Wipe or vacuum sofas and chairs as appropriate
    Get a damp cloth and wipe switches and sockets
    Clear clutter out

Level 3
    Dust everywhere including skirtings, picture rails and dado rails
    Vacuum as far as you can (inc under furniture)

Extras

Usual S&S in the kitchen and bathroom
    HHI
    Month end approaches as does Easter. Add any cards you need to your shopping list.
    If you're buying chocolate eggs research online for the best prices!

Everything's Tuesday Kitchen and dining

Level one
    clear sills and sides and wipe down
    check fridge for 'less than fresh' food and fling/make fridge-bottom soup
    wipe out fridge

Level 2
    Wipe table and chairs
    wipe cupboard fronts
    wipe handles and light switches
    dust where dusting is needed

level 3
    mop/sweep/vacuum floor
    clean any windows and mirrors
    wipe down what lives on the worktops and pop them back

Extras
    Start on cupboard clearance - pick one, empty it, wipe it out and put back what lives there, tidily, having disposed of anything that's died in storage
    wash out the bin
    HHI
    month end is coming - get your expenses claims etc prepped

Wonderful Wiping Wednesday

Bathroom

Level one
    clear sills and shelves and wipe
    clean windows
    empty side of bath
    spray and scrub

Level 2
    scrub loo inside and out
    wipe pull cords
    wipe tiles and splashbacks
    wash bathmats

level 3
    Dust anywhere that needs it
    empty bin
    scrub basins and bidets
    swab floor

Extras
    scrub out cupboards and fling anything drying up and dying
    put towels in wM for a VERY HOT wash
    polish towel rails
    put out clean towels etc
    S& kitchen - keep it shiny

Thursday Thrills

Hall, stairs, landing

Level 1

Clear any detritus
    Bang mats outside
    Wash front door inside and out
    Sweep step

Level 2
    Clean windows
    Wipe sills
    Polish mirrors

Level 3
    Dust everywhere
    Vacuum/sweep/mop floors

Extras
    S&S kitchen and bathroom

Friday bedroom

L1
    Strip bed
    Open window
    Clear floirdrobe
    Empty bin
    Remake bed

L2
    Clean window and silk and frame
    Dust round

L3
    Vacuum floor and curtains
    Do out a drawer

Extras
    Empty and decluttr a drawer
    S&s
    Peg out a washload
    Last edited by Valli; 24-03-2017 at 6:31 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 2
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 20th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 33,624 Thanks
    ionafan
    Well, I hope that's the back of the migraine - I slept for an hour before lunch and a couple of hours after, and my head is finally feeling a lot clearer.
    Iona, if you have had a migraine for 3 days, why not ring your dr's for advise........
    Originally posted by kazwookie
    Thanks kazw. I've been having these "grumbling migraines" for years instead of getting the "flashing lights/vomiting/real headache/lie down in a darkened room for a few hours" variety that most people experience. I just find them ****** annoying and debiitating, and they always happen when I have a lot of work to do in a limited time, so obviously stress is part of the problem. There isn't an obvious cause like chocolate or wine,they just come on when I'm really tired, and the GP can't find any medication to suit me better than a couple of Migra**ve and a lot of sleep.

Hope you too are feeling less "meh" now, Bossy.

Quick update on my achievements today:
    All rooms downstairs cleaned and hoovered (thank you DH ).
    I even cleaned the lounge windows as per Level 1, after I saw the sun shining through and I have started making some Twink's for the Old Wives this evening - they can go in the oven with the sausage and chips for tea.
    The spicy tomato and dhal soup that I made for lunch was delicious: the two of us ate enough (allegedly) for four
    Still to do:
    - TDx1
    - fold one load of washing and hang it up to air
    - finish tidying the study bedroom (I have started but it doesn't look much different yet )
    - write another email or two, if time
    - cook and eat tea
    - do some reading, if time - but more likely I'll get up early tomorrow
    - remake our bed so that we can sleep in it tonight
    - go to the Old Wives' meeting this evening.

Will knuckle down to clearing for half an hour before I go and cook tea.
    • cowboymum
    • By cowboymum 20th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 3,211 Thanks
    cowboymum
    Right I'm in. Been AWOL again for weeks and my house looks awful!

Going to do level 1 lounge
    S and S bathrooms (I know the boys one is awful!)
    Kitchen window ledge clearing

That'll do - right got about 1 hour now!
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 20th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    So far flying has involved a lot of admin.
    One load through DW.
    One load through WM.
    One report finished and emailed.
    Mr N spoke to insurance and grudgingly agreed what they will give us for the written off car - more than they wanted to but less than we wanted, as is usual.
    Went to Clubbercise.
    Went out and to our surprise, bought a new car.
    Rang insurance again to discuss new car, hire car, road tax on old car etc. Shuffled lots of paper and wrote lots of notes down.
    Started another report.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 20th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 4,167 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Not a lot of flying achieved here apart from the dailies, as usual for a Monday. Recycling out, lounge dusted, things sorted for the morning.
    Another one here also fed up with the weather - It hammered it down this afternoon.

Am contemplating buying myself some wool as I really fancy knitting again. I'm supposed to be decluttering all the various craft stuff around the house, but I might call it an early mother's day present to myself
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 20th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 34,720 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all x

Work went really well and I actually knew someone else there. All the staff are lovely and chatted away. It made things so much easier. Came home and OH had done a little tidy up when he was home for lunch. So I've stuck the WM and TD on, sorted something to eat and made up tomorrow's lunches and fired them in the fridge.

A wee bit more WM and TD and I will lay out clothes for tomorrow and then I'm in bed shattered.com

Love, hugs spoons to all those needing them especially our poorlies xx
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • Valli
    • By Valli 20th Mar 17, 8:21 PM
    • 20,135 Posts
    • 228,740 Thanks
    Valli
    I have achieved my club 10 award (10% of my bodyweight lost) and am slimmer of the week. I now have TWO fruitbowls full!

Flying was WM, TD and DW x 1 (each)
    oh - and fluffy mule dusting!
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 20th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    I have achieved my club 10 award (10% of my bodyweight lost) and am slimmer of the week. I now have TWO fruitbowls full!
    Originally posted by Valli
    Fantastic, well done.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 20th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 29,991 Thanks
    dancemum
    Glad work went well FFP X

Saved some money with cheap energy club switching utilities

Outside cat water dishes cleaned and refilled

To let sign has gone up in ndn garden. Nice neighbour tenant vibes requested please.
    • Duckydo
    • By Duckydo 20th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Duckydo
    Glad the migraine is going ionafan, congratulations on the weight loss Valli and sending nice neighbour vibes your way dancemum.

Not a whole lot of flying done today, took the dog, DH and DD out for a very wet walk with a friend and her clan this morning. Decluttered a nap with DD after lunch, seem to be permanently exhausted at the moment. All dailies done,plus dog coat and towels washed.
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 21st Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 4,167 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Well done Valli for the fantastic achievement, and FFP for coping yesterday. x
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 21st Mar 17, 7:18 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning everyone. Thanks for the list. I am in. I did some flying yesterday but didn't get a chance to post.

Well done on the weight loss Valli.

Just off to clean the downstairs loo then I'll take a look at today's list.

Have a great day everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) November £781.81 Total £11814.84/£12000

• atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 21st Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 2,519 Posts
    • 15,999 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all,

I'm dancing round this house this morning, loving all the 80s music on radio 2 for the danceathon

Had about 4 hours sleep, we were up and down with coughs all night, and I dreamt very odd dreams, so I feel a bit woozy. More tea needs. Dinner is in SC, DW is on and WM is chugging away. Loads to do today so I'll say bye and crack on x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • froddington
    • By froddington 21st Mar 17, 8:35 AM
    • 6,580 Posts
    • 92,991 Thanks
    froddington
    Morning all - just popping in quickly before I catch the train up to Manchester for the last taught days of my course!

Valli - congrats; you inspired me to rejoin SW and I got my 1/2 stone last week and Slimmer of the Week too so thank you xx

FFP - great news on the work x

bossy - hugs x

Also virtual hugs offered to all who want or need them x
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2017 £2900
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 21st Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 29,991 Thanks
    dancemum
    Morning all x

Ds2's bed changed, new duvet installed
    Master bed stripped and bedframe dusted
    Kitchen S&s
    House dysoned (now on charge so I can take it to parents' home)
    LR windowsill wiped
    Windows flung open
    Bathroom S&s
    1xwm done and another is in. 4 loads left
    Cat cuddled
    Ds2 decluttered to school bus
    List made

Off to dancegran and Dancepops' to fly there soon.

Time for a cuppa. Who wants one?
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 21st Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 9,352 Posts
    • 118,578 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Valli well done x

All ironing is done and away
    All mending is done and away
    SC is on for dinner
    Kitchen is also done

Dentist later
    plus a volunteering visit to do! (I get to play with puppies today )
    Sun, Sea
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 21st Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Morning!

Well done Valli I think it's all come my way

I have framed myself - I think I fell asleep yesterday but motivated myself after collecting the kiddies from school to do a few bits. I spot cleaned the piggy cage, gave the kitchen a once-over and made a 'proper' dinner.

This morning I've cleaned the LR and my bedroom. Wiped a couple of Windows / French doors and stuck a wash on. Weather can't make its mid up here - alternating between glorious sunshine and wintry showers - blowing very cold though. So maybe I cba playing laundry hokey cokey and will just dry indoors today.

I've emptied the air-ram and cleaned the brushes and it's just recharging now, then I'll finish the downstairs floors. I want to bag up the old / small clothes I took out of DD wardrobe and will pop them in the car for the CS.

Planning a study afternoon. Hope the sun keeps shining because I've lent my study heater to a friend with boiler problems. If it's sunny my study will be nice and warm if not - well - brrrr!

Laters!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 21st Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 29,991 Thanks
    dancemum
    Bossy hope you stayed warm and studying went well this afternoon X

Before I left I remade both beds. Luckily as I have have just arrived home with a very sore back.
    Vacuumed ground floor at parents.
    Took their kitchen nets down, washed them, cleaned windows and put nets back up. Washed vases etc. Bigger job than it sounds. Played Hokey Cokey with my mum's wheelchair.

Just time for a cuppa and stick the bedding in the TD before DS2 comes home.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 21st Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 46,665 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Huge congratulations Frodders and Valli!

*Migraine be banished vibes* heading your way, Ionafan.

I have spent most of the day dealing with a frog that has been rivetting at me for 15 months. It's done. I feel freeeeeeeeeeee!
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 21st Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Afternoon all. Paid stuff finished for the day and I'm off out with DD later for an Italian....

Well done HB on getting rid of that frog.

This morning I cleaned the downstairs loo and all the bins downstairs.

Some good news here today. DH's most recent tests have come back clear. Obviously we've a long way to go as he's still really poorly but onwards and upwards hopefully.

Have a great evening everyone.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) November £781.81 Total £11814.84/£12000

• kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 21st Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 9,352 Posts
    • 118,578 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Mouth hurts from dentist, I was not expecting her to do what she did, but done now...............
    General cleaning round done
    Sun, Sea
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,472Posts Today

7,269Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin