Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    • 8,926Posts
    • 43,845Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 2:18 PM
    Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017 1st Jan 17 at 2:18 PM
    Welcome to another year in the life of Mooloo.
    I have been posting for many years now and have shared all the ins and outs of life, love, families and work.
    I started when I was struggling to bring up my children and their new babies under quite difficult circumstances.
    I am happy to say that I am in a much better stage of my life than all those years ago.
    I live with my 9 year old granddaughter with a Guardianship order for the past seven years.
    I have my own business running a sewing shop, and I have a rather tenuous relationship with my chap for 12 years plus.
    We are moving into 2017 with the new challenges of joining up the dots and hopefully moving forward to a single home in a couple of years.

So while I attempt to get things done I will continue to keep my life on track by being accountable for my actions by committing what is going on here.
    I will see if I can remember how to post a link from one thread to another.
    Last edited by Mooloo; 02-01-2017 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Change title
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
Page 19
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 46,270 Posts
    • 163,950 Thanks
    beanielou
    Which painkillers do you take?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 13th Mar 17, 10:41 PM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I am on Naproxen at the moment. It has made a difference as I was on ibruferen (spelling), before and it only took the edge off.
    I am going to try to reduce from 3 to 2 in a day and see if I can as I hate that I am back on tablets.
    I need to get my head back into a positive way so that I can be strong enough to do it all on my own again.
    Takings were lower today which is normal, but there was quite a few new people in. They were asking about jobs for the future and buying haberdashery. I've only taken £91 today but I have hope that it is on the up and up.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 14th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Woken to a pym notice when DS paid over his rent. Really pleased with the way he is keeping it up especially as he has lost his job. I know the GF is still working at a school but will not have been paid yet. I have told him to demand a p45 as the guy was intending keeping him on the book for three months and just not giving him any shifts. I told him that he needed the p45 now to prove that he is not earning and can adjust his applications accordingly for benefits etc. He doesn't get much luck on the work front, so I have told him to turn this into an opportunity to look for a job in another field and aim for a morning job if she has an afternoon one, as they still have the toddler to care for.
    I am wondering if my missing delivery will arrive today.
    I better get dgd up and go for my shower, I have been awake for an hour already and no idea how that time has flown by already. Mind you I have had a cuppa and used my SAD lamp for 20 minutes and moved the money around etc.
    So not the end of the world. Right shower Moo! Move!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well the missing delivery arrived yesterday afternoon. I interviewed and hired a lady for sewing part time, I had some of the stitches removed from my gum/lip area when I went back to the dentist and he said things are heeling nicely. I have to wait until June for the actual teeth to be made for the space above the implant but I am hoping that I will have it done by Biggest's wedding.
    We took £135 for the day, and I sold a thread from the new stand straight away which was a small thrill.
    On the down side DS was out of food and Down to 3 nappies. So he asked for a food parcel. Now normally I would raid my Armageddon cupboard and dig deep into the freezer but I was waiting for my deliveries and the cupboard was not going to yeild much so I ended up in Tesco and spent just less than £40. ( not much less than the rent he had given me the day before!)
    I am trying not to worry about that and praying that I will be able to sort my own funds out again and that he will get a job. He has applied for a job in the local pub yesterday when he saw new people moving in. I am hoping for all the good vibes to resonate in his direction and lift him a little.
    The house was reasonably tidy but still needs a good vacuum and sweeping again. I pointed it out and he said he would do it after I left. At least I was able to have a cup of tea and sit down.
    I feel quite sad that my grandson doesn't really know me and he will be 2 soon.
    Today is my day to help mum etc so I better get my act together and get dressed. Dgd and I have been having a battle to get her ready for school today and I feel weiry already
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Today has been very different to the plan. But for me I suppose that it is not a surprise. I struggled with dgd before school and lost my temper and screamed at her to get ready for school. I wanted to sit down and chill before I went anywhere but Biggest was waiting at My Mum's with the grandson so I had to go there. I left fog here and arrived in glorious sunshine 12 miles away.
    We sat in the garden having tea so I did get to chill, in fact her partner joined us all at Lunchtime as he'd been for a job interview and had the day off, so we took advantage of the Sun and had lunch at a local pub with a playground for dgs. It was very nice and Mum had her first ever drive in a convertible with the roof down.
    I didn't get much housework done though!
    I went to cut the lawn but I was out of luck as the mower started to smell of burning as soon as I fired it up so that was off. I am going to have to get a new mower I think. Not a great start to the sunny days then.
    But it is a lovely day and I am not going to let the mower dampen my good mood.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 46,270 Posts
    • 163,950 Thanks
    beanielou
    You could put a wee add on your local freecycle/FB page for a mower?

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • trix-a-belle
    • By trix-a-belle 15th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    trix-a-belle
    not your mower too mooloo, today was clearly the day for them. my dad came over to cut my grass as hes fab like that but mine jammed up and burnt out a couple of passes from the end, i've added it to my list of things i need but don't want to be getting
    - Mortgage: £ 53000 0! Mortgage Free!
    - Student Loan: £ 7100 0!
    Swagbucks, Neobux, GiffGaff, Roamler, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T4
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Mar 17, 6:59 AM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    My daughter's partner is going to take a look at the mower and see if he can fix it. I think that I may actually have the old one still at the back of the shed, I will look tonight after work. At least we get home in the light now.
    BF came over last night after all, but he didn't eat. I had a courgette, hallumi and cuscus dinner which had various spices and pastes unpronounceable and I really enjoyed it. Removing the stitches on Tuesday has made a huge difference to being able to eat.
    The next few days our routine is going to be jumbled up as BFs son is coming up to stay before he starts his new job in London, so BF is staying at his and there is no room for us at his, (well dgd anyway).
    It will give me the opportunity to potter tonight as I didn't really manage to yesterday. Having made the most of the weather instead.
    DGDs school trip is coming up fast, and then our holiday to Portugal is only 3 days later. I have to look at the paperwork and see what I need to do, I have to think about the drive and parking, transfers and if I have enough to hire a car when we are out there. I can't remember what I had booked or not, as we booked it such a while ago.
    I have mentioned to BF that when I get back I would like to go to Cornwall to see twin 2, if he fancies accompanying me for the weekend, he is thinking about it. Dgd will be with her Mum.
    I have a lot to do today at work so I am hoping that I can get my head down and have few interruptions and make a good dent in the list.
    I am also thinking of what to let the new lady loose on on the first day she starts and may very well get her to alter a few things of mine before I let her loose on customers things. I have a maxi dress that is too long and a coat sleeves too.
    Right thoughts started, bank balance checked, savings moved about, and email read. Tea drunk, time to move.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 16th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 47,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Glad you've found a sewing lady, Mooloo. I hope she'll work out well.

Meanwhile, not long until Portugal which will do you good i hope you have good weather while you're there.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 46,270 Posts
    • 163,950 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you've found a sewing lady, Mooloo. I hope she'll work out well.

Meanwhile, not long until Portugal which will do you good i hope you have good weather while you're there.
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Echoed by me

• Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    My day didn't go to plan, I struggled with all the jobs for some reason. I stayed until 5.30 but was tempted to go home at 4pm
    But I didn't. I am tired and I think I need an early night.
    On the plus side my mouth is much better and I actually enjoyed my meal tonight.
    I have had a message from school inviting me to assembly on Monday as dgd is getting an award. So I will have to attend that!
    My new sewing machine for home has arrived but I haven't opened it yet. My hands hurt today. Maybe in the morning before school.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 47,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I hope you got your early night - I always find any stressful medical or dental treatment leaves me kn@ckered.

And WELL DONE to DGD
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Would you believe that after a rest I opened the new machine and started to play. I made a zip up bag, lined etc from a craft club kit. I even started another until I realised it was 11.15pm. So I was so engrossed I didn't notice the time or the pain as the tablets took hold!
    This morning I was up etc and thought I would have a good run at work which I did in the end, sewing £182 worth by 5.30 but it was slow going to start with. But I am happy with the end result and we took £163 between the card machine and cash.
    Twin 2 rang me about Biggest's wedding, later twin 1 rang to change the date for collecting dgd.
    DS has a trial session at the pub in his village tonight. So fingers crossed for him and that his future is better.
    Molly came to see me today! Was so lovely to see her, even if it was with a job for me to do too! ( joking Molly, was great to see you even if it was briefly).
    This evening dgd and I went to the pub with my friend and her son. After years of trying to get funding for her daughter with special needs and being turned down, going for tribunal etc she finally has won her appeal. So we had a celebration.
    We are home now and my feet are up.
    Tomorrow is another day. Xxxx
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 18th Mar 17, 7:39 AM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I have decided that when I get back from Portugal and Dgd is with her Mum, I will go down to Cornwall to see Twin2, and take her dress down for a fitting. I haven't seen her for a year, so I will go down Easter Saturday and come back on the Monday. BF is not sure if he will come or not but I spoke to Mum and she will come with me if he doesn't. So I have booked a B&B via Booking.com as I have used them for quite a few hotels lately.
    I am just going to have to find the money.
    Luckily I have fairly full freezer and stores so I can eat from them and if I stay away from the Mr T on the way home I won't be tempted to take a ready meal as often. Shear laziness.
    I have already got the money for my holiday earmarked so I have time to put some money aside for the fuel for the drive down etc.
    I am not going to Oxford this weekend,?and I no longer need to take DS to his work so my fuel I already have will last me a little longer. I have been taking lunch with me this week so I am also not buying anything from the Baguette shop next door which saves £2.30-£2.50 a time.
    I am going to be able to pay myself this week again too. So as long as I keep my eye on the bottom line I think I will manage.
    I paid the £1,000 for my dental work so far this week, and I still have £1,500 in that pot, so I should have money left afterwards. Once the teeth are done I suppose that it will be swallowed up in the Wedding costs, like hotels and transportation for the twins etc as I cannot see how they will afford to come up otherwise and Biggest just keeps telling them to save, but on the money they are on they don't have the wriggle room.
    Right I better get ready for work and get this business working well.
    Have a good one
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Strange few days as all out of routine. I am here at home, as BF came here Saturday night.
    I didn't get any sewing done on Saturday as I had fittings and lessons etc. So I will have plenty of work to be getting on with tomorrow. I worked until 3.30 (normally shut at 2pm).
    We were given a box of sewing goodies from a customer and my Saturday girl sat sorting and bagging them up. The difference between staff is that one does it because it has to be done and the other because she loves playing with buttons. Ines idea of heaven and the others of hell it seems.
    I sold my old jeans machine, £20 to the sisters that come to my lessons who hadn't a machine at home to use. I hope that they will enjoy sewing at home too.
    Biggest's BF collected dgd for the party at her grandads. He has been fixing things for people to earn a few quid towards the wedding fund, , and had to come this way.
    Today I went to collect dgd from them, and then when I got back BF had cut the lawn with the old mower, the lighter one has gone to gardening heaven. Then he washed his car, and mine. He also had hung out my washing for me.
    Then when I had done lunch, and dgd went swimming with her friends we dismantled the single bed, now destined for dgs3, and dismantled and rebuilt the bunk beds from spare room into DGDs room.
    I am a long way off of getting the room sorted for sewing though.
    I am going to have to sew down stairs in the front room for a while longer as dgd and I have a serious junk problem to dissolve!!
    I spent a while this evening ironing in front of the tv, and then sat joining tiny scraps of fabric into sheets of fabric for creative ideas at a later date. Patchwork with a difference.
    I am off to bed now.
    My new sewing lady starts tomorrow.
    DS got the job in the local pub and will be paid weekly on a Friday. But their benefits have all stopped completely since his GF started her job. I am hoping that if they are Entitled to anything it can be sorted tomorrow but if not then I hope I don't have to pay for everything until their money comes in.
    I am now expecting a tripling of the DD that will go out of My account in a few days. Eeek.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 20th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    My sewing lady cancelled an hour before she was due to start saying she's not allowed a second job, apparently it's in her contract.
    So I am going to have to keep taking the tablets and work on by myself! Not what I had planned but at least I won't have to pay another wages yet.
    I will have to advertise again.
    DS has been given 30 hours a week at the pub!, and with his GF work 15 or 16 hours a week they hopefully will see results. Although biggest is helping out at the moment caring for dgs3 while one goes out to work at 2.45 and the other comes home at 3.10pm it means dgs3 and 4 get to see each other then, and that she can keep an eye on the domestic front.
    All we need now is to see what the financial situation will be when they start to get paid. Unfortunately the housing benefits have been suspended until they sort it out, so bank of Mum may be stretched too thinly next week when their DD goes out of my bank, .
    I believe that the GF went over the top about the Council letter, and she also was trashing the house looking for her shoes when Biggest arrived so there was a bit of a show down when Biggest told her to grow up, stop being such a drama queen and being so lazy etc and sort herself out.
    Biggest is also churning her way through half a dozen bags of dirty laundry, as it was all over the hall and stairs after the GF through her wobbly.
    DS said he was fed up with how lazy she is. It's all been very dramatic the past few days.
    I am tired and in need of sleep!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 21st Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I went to bed fairly early compared to lately, I had some weird dreams and woke feeling quite jaded. Thank goodness for a shower!
    Usual battle with dgd to leave her gadgets alone and get ready for school.
    I told her 3 strikes and out! If she comes down stairs on her gadget before school tomorrow she will loose it until we are on holiday in April.
    I can't believe that in 2 weeks time we will be in Portugal again.
    I booked the airport car park yesterday. £39.99 on an off site, bus to airport.
    I still need to get a car while I'm out there.
    I will look tonight.
    I need to focus on sewing now until 5pm!
    So much to do.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 22nd Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I managed to do quite a few jobs between 9am-5pm yesterday and sewed £204 worth of work. Helped by the amount of Trousers in to shorten.
    I am at home today and planning to do more work with my spare room as Mum is ok about my not going over today.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 22nd Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So my first things on my todo list was try to get my head back into a reasonable place as I am struggling today with the black dog. Weather like today, dull, dark and damp don't do me any favours.
    So out came the diary while the first washing load was on.
    So I wrote down the things that were making me feel stressed, dissatisfied, disappointed, and basically low.
    Then I tried to switch myself up.
    so I have something positive about each issue, to turn my attention back to positive things. It's not been easy though.
    I felt worried about a lot of things that I either have no control over or hadn't even happened!
    I was disgruntled and disappointed that the sewing lady let me down, and worried about the state of my hands and the increase in work loads.
    So what can I do?
    Well for one it means that I have saved £100 a week wages until I find another one. I need to chase up an appointment with the doctor to see what else can be done about my hands, as tests done so far came back clear.
    I can juggle my days and start sewing at 9.30 and not 10, and I can stay later, until 5.30 to help make up the 10 hours that I was going to pay her.
    I can up my wage by £10 a week and change my benefits etc after I get back from holiday.
    I will have to just tell customers that I am not going to be able to see their alterations until I return.
    So a sign needs to be done to let customers know what is going on.
    I am concerned about my son and his GF etc, but I should know that the benefits etc will eventually be sorted out and if they both keep up the work then their lives should improve, meanwhile I will just have to find the rent payment and add what I pay to the spreadsheet I have already done.
    This lead me to think about my budget and my up coming holiday.
    So I went onto the banks apps and moved the savings etc about so I could go to the cash machine and withdraw the money to buy the Euros for DGD and myself. Then a walk in the rain, and a bit of fresh air to get the Euros so I don't un whittingly use the money elsewhere.
    That lead me to sorting out my missing ehic cards, and the car rental too.
    So all but packing is sorted for the holidays in 12 days.
    I also was stressed about my home, and my level of clutter getting to me.
    So to rebuild my money pots I have to sort out my clutter and see if I can sell any of it.
    Biggest's wedding is looming and they have struggled to build up the funds since the episode of his wasting money last year, and they have asked for my help to meet the bills and the only way I can do that is to use my cleared credit card. I am stressed about that but it's rather too late to do much else, so the deal is that if I meet the deadline then they will have to pay the money owed to the card as I can't. This will be found by the amount they have been saving each month since October and so it should take 8!months for them to clear it.
    But I am determined to keep my eye on it all, and have asked for a breakdown of the cost, the deposits paid and the deadline for final payment.
    I am also going to use my clutter as a way of my side hustles to rebuild my savings.
    So deep breath and planning and I am feeling better now then I was.
    So next?
    I start on the clutter and sort out the wheat from the chaff so to speak.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 22nd Mar 17, 9:37 PM
    • 8,926 Posts
    • 43,845 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I spent all afternoon moving things from room to room and I have now got a working room for my sewing at home again. In the process I filled a sack of rubbish and one of recycled pieces.
    This evening I even did some sewing in it.but I also managed to set off the fire alarm with steam from my steamer!! And it just kept going off for over 20 minutes in the end I had to get BF to dismantle it! It appears that the steam is still not dispersed enough even though it is switched off and all the windows upstairs are open and the fan is on!
    I think I have done enough for one day. I am going to relax for a few minutes before I contemplate what needs doing before bedtime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter