Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
Page 2179
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 19th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 31,280 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Blooming Heck Kerri - I ran a bath - does that count

Hope you aren't too sore - vey impressed x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC 300/191.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 8,740 Thanks
    caronc
    Lamb chops, mash, toms, mushrooms, carmelised onions and probably some gravy if I CBA
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 150/150
    • millicent
    • By millicent 19th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    millicent
    Beef in red wine tonight served with brown rice (managed to drop my phone in the river today and DS used all the basmati encasing my phone ��)
    45,754.63 > 9,136.36 (May)

80.1%paid

Here is a purse of moneys... which I'm not going to give to you.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 7,374 Posts
    • 46,052 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Blooming Heck Kerri - I ran a bath - does that count

Hope you aren't too sore - vey impressed x
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Absolutely

Beef in red wine tonight served with brown rice (managed to drop my phone in the river today and DS used all the basmati encasing my phone ��)
    Originally posted by millicent
    Oops, hope the phone is ok

Dinner so far seems to be a handful of cocktail sausages and a GnT
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• karcher
    • By karcher 19th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 6,760 Thanks
    karcher
    After a breakfast of LO Pizza and cheese toasty, I had numerous (I lost count) slices of toast with butter and cheese triangles followed by a jacket spud with more cheese triangles and a mixed salad just to redeem myself

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 58,723 Posts
    • 338,237 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I thought "cauliflower cheese" as I've some milk to use up and there's some daft rumour around about 10/day, so that felt like it had the makings of a smug point.... but then I saw the price of the cauli (1) and I thought I'd buy some frozen, but then realised I'd not got room for it - so decided to take a new-fangled radical approach of using up the mixed veg I've already got cluttering up the freezer.

That's quite a few wins there: get rid of that nasty looking basics mixed veg + some of those 10/day + use up the milk.

So tea was 3 small yorkies, with a pile of mixed veg in cheese sauce poured over the top. Tasty .... I'll never ever buy those bags of veg again I don't think, they're most unexciting without cheese sauce.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 19th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 33,389 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Dinner tonight was Enchiladas with Salad
    CURRENTLY READING THE CURVY GIRLS CLUB - MICHELLE GORMAN
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 55
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - 430/667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • JIL
    • By JIL 19th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 17,296 Thanks
    JIL
    Husband had roast chicken, I had Linda McCartney sausages, with stuffing, yorkshire puddings, mashed potatoes broccoli, cabbage, carrots and cauliflower.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 19th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 23,777 Thanks
    suki1964
    I thought "cauliflower cheese" as I've some milk to use up and there's some daft rumour around about 10/day, so that felt like it had the makings of a smug point.... but then I saw the price of the cauli (1) and I thought I'd buy some frozen, but then realised I'd not got room for it - so decided to take a new-fangled radical approach of using up the mixed veg I've already got cluttering up the freezer.

That's quite a few wins there: get rid of that nasty looking basics mixed veg + some of those 10/day + use up the milk.

So tea was 3 small yorkies, with a pile of mixed veg in cheese sauce poured over the top. Tasty .... I'll never ever buy those bags of veg again I don't think, they're most unexciting without cheese sauce.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Make a good thick cheese sauce, coat the frozen veg. Make breadcrumbs from bread or crackers ( add crisps if you have then) and it's veggie bake
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 44,444 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I've had a 'picky' day today, last night I had one of the best restaurant meals I've ever had, at the local Indian (which is actually Bangladeshi).
    The curry was just divine. Plus free naan.

The waiter overheard it was my friend's birthday celebration and a complimentary chocolate gateau came out. With candles - and "Congratulations" on the piped muzak.

I've never had a bad meal there but that really was extra-special.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 20th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 9,416 Posts
    • 101,607 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Today is Ostara, the Spring Equinox (though you wouldn't think it from the weather) so something in HM white wine sauce - probably Qu0rn fillets, and some roast roots if I can find the energy to prep them.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 11,463 Posts
    • 144,249 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Just back home after a not good train journey, old carriages, vastly overcrowded and young men high on something in the compartment between carriages kicking off and continually banging on the partition and shouting, not aggressive, just 'inappropriate' and LOUD!!!

Will investigate the fridge to see what's left in a minute, I know there's bacon and I know I have eggs so I'll raid the cupboards and see what I can come up with, maybe a frittata or possibly something resembling a carbonara.....watch this space!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 20th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 9,929 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Well I made a Quiche Lorraine and the filling leaked out over the baking tray.......Grr!

So it's plan B. What that might be I have no idea. I had hoped to go weekly shopping tomorrow so it might be egg, bacon and chips tonight.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 7,374 Posts
    • 46,052 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Have just picked today - brekkie was 5 rich tea biccies, lunch was a cheese and tomato sarnie and I've continued to pick on a couple of biccies and cocktail sausages through this afternoon....oh and a mars bar from my race bag yesterday.

Normal service will resume tomorrow, tum just a bit out of sorts after yesterday (2hrs+ clenching ones abs tends to do that ) so I'm just going with the flow today.

Feeling a bit guilty as post race 'meal' was a maccy d's with my running partner, so I've well and truly added on anything I burned off - still off to yoga in a bit ...that counts right?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 16,976 Posts
    • 41,239 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just put beef and mushroom in red wine casserole in the oven.
    Half a pint of red wine!

It makes the most delicious .gravy, I serve it with mashed potatoes.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 20th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 31,280 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Meat Free Monday here

Simple Supper Double Egg and chips, threw a few mushrooms in too as they needed using up.

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC 300/191.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 8,740 Thanks
    caronc
    Mini pork burgers cooked on top of a couple of big mushrooms, roasted tomatoes and (Ikea) rosti cakes
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 150/150
    • katkin
    • By katkin 20th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    katkin
    Home late from work, I had far to travel and ferries were involved. Just about to pop defrosted freezer roast pork and cabbage, leeks and bacon into the oven. LO new tatties for hubby can get roasted off in there too. I even found a wee portion of apple sauce all portioned and wrapped with the pork in the freezer. Hungry so looking forward to it.

I love my freezer!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Mar 17, 8:30 AM
    • 11,463 Posts
    • 144,249 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Tomato and Basil Soup for lunch using some of our frozen tomatoes (of which there are a lot) with roast chicken for me and toast for He Who Knows and supper this evening is going to be a Quorn Steak strip and Mushroom Stroganoff using 0% Greek yoghurt served with green salad and new potatoes and I've some tinned peach slices in juice with more 0% Greek yoghurt to fill gaps if there are any after that!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 21st Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 33,389 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Dinner tonight is Turkey Escalopes with Ham and Cheese with Salad and Coleslaw
    CURRENTLY READING THE CURVY GIRLS CLUB - MICHELLE GORMAN
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 55
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - 430/667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,291Posts Today

8,548Users online

Martin's Twitter