Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,299Posts
    • 10,477Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    OS ways and Poor Health
    • 11th Sep 16, 9:56 PM
    OS ways and Poor Health 11th Sep 16 at 9:56 PM
    Earlier today I joined a very good new thread on getting back to old style ways . I managed to take it in another direction by mentioning how ill health can impact on doing everything the old style way . As this was off topic to the original post . I will be posting on the original topic but without going off in another direction
    This seems to happen a lot of the time across the threads as many old stylers do have to cope with this problem .
    Many moons ago PREPARE AT HOME began a lengthy thread on being os with health problems and there have been a couple of other threads over the years .
    I am wondering if the time is right for another thread on the subject with the proviso it is not offering advice on medical subjects as that is for the professionals . We all do many things day to day to minimise fatigue and pain and though they are little things we have developed them to cope and others may not be aware of how helpful the little changes can be .
    I would be interested to see if others would like to join such a thread . I am not very techie as you will gather from my rambling post and have never started a thread before - I hope this posts !
    polly
Page 31
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    caronc
    Evening all,
    A bit of a non-day today - think I over did it yesterday and my back/hip are still painful so apart from my physio & rehab exercises I've not done very much.
    I had a good chat with my TU rep and they are happy to support me as they think I have a case. I know the two local reps well (mainly from being the "Manager" in various staffing issues) so both are both are indirectly aware of how hard this has it me which really helps. I still can't quite shake the niggle that people think I'm "at it" (the misery of hidden conditions) despite all the medical testing proving the contrary and my GP who shall we say "doesn't miss and hit the wall" with malingers being 100% behind me.
    I'm actually feeling pretty calm about tomorrow though that might change in the "wee small hours" but I'm in a situation I can do nothing about health wise which I think helps

Hope everyone has had a decent day and thanks for the postive vibes x
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    caronc
    Evening all,

Well your positive vibes must of worked as today's meeting went well. Still some questions my manager needs to pin HR down on re potentially supporting my absence for a bit longer but tbh it is unlikely. However, until they answer the query things are stalled though probably only for a few days. I think my manager is finding this as hard as I am as we get on really well, ironically of the two of us I have more experience from the employer's perspective than she does

I'm sorry I can't remember who was thinking of applying for PIP but please take the step. I got my decision today and I've been awarded it and for more than I thought I would As I said before I found the process ok and the assessment not too difficult. I'm going to use the arrears payment to pay for someone to sort out my back garden mainly the veggie bit as I wasn't well enough to put it to bed last year and it is beyond me to sort it out at the moment. It may seem an odd thing to do but I love my garden and it will help my sense of well-being to have it in order
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120
    • katkin
    • By katkin 15th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 7,141 Thanks
    katkin
    I'm glad it wasn't too bad caronc and the outcome of the PIP is positive. Hopefully the work thing won't drag on too long and you can get on with a new normality.

Agree, getting your garden sorted so you can benefit from it will be a big help. Think of the veggies and salad etc you can grow. Take care x
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 16th Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Good news about the meeting and the PiPs carnoc!

I'm still waiting to see what happens to my application - sent off the paperwork about 4 - 6 weeks ago, and I know they have it...every day I wait to see of Postie brings e a date for the F2F (even better would be an award without the F2F...but that is unlikely!)

I am exhausted today...we have had visitors for a couple of days. They stayed in a beach chalet but visited every day. It was nice that they visited...but there was so much talking!...and even sitting in my comfy chair and listening can be exhausting!...Before they left to pack (they go home very early tomorrow) one of them said it was nice that this time they got to see me smile! (apparently their last visit 3 years ago was one where I sat smile-less every day!)

I also managed to get a load of laundry done today so that is one job less to do! I can now settle down and sleep for a long weekend!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    caronc
    Good news about the meeting and the PiPs carnoc!

I'm still waiting to see what happens to my application - sent off the paperwork about 4 - 6 weeks ago, and I know they have it...every day I wait to see of Postie brings e a date for the F2F (even better would be an award without the F2F...but that is unlikely!)

I am exhausted today...we have had visitors for a couple of days. They stayed in a beach chalet but visited every day. It was nice that they visited...but there was so much talking!...and even sitting in my comfy chair and listening can be exhausting!...Before they left to pack (they go home very early tomorrow) one of them said it was nice that this time they got to see me smile! (apparently their last visit 3 years ago was one where I sat smile-less every day!)

I also managed to get a load of laundry done today so that is one job less to do! I can now settle down and sleep for a long weekend!
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    Hope you hear soon, I think virtually everyone gets an assessment so don't be disheartened when you get your date through. I had a chat today with someone I know who knows more about PIP than I do and she thinks one part of my award is incorrect so I think I'll contact DWP next week and see if they'll look at it again
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • 13,787 Posts
    • 127,514 Thanks
    mardatha
    I find talking to visitors very tiring Prinzess, my oldest son talks all the time when he comes, and it wears me out. But I can't say anything because I like to see him
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 17th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 9,420 Posts
    • 101,839 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I'm another who finds visitors exhausting - human visitors, anyway; I'm more than happy to have canine guests.

We had a Mensa meet-up to attend last night; there was no way for me to wriggle out of it, and I'm absolutely wiped out today. Trouble is I get very stressed before the event, have to work hard to keep up with the conversation during it (I'm hard-of-hearing, and even with a hearing aid, I struggle if everyone's talking at once), then I spend the entire night afterwards replaying it all over and over in my mind to analyze what I said wrong, did I manage to offend anyone, did I make myself look stupid, or make some awful social gaffe - all that sort of stuff. Like I said, exhausting......
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I have much catching up to do !
    Caronc that sounds like good news . If something seems wrong in the decision it can go for MR , it depends how much difference a successful challenge would make . I'm assuming it's points awarded for the descriptors but I may be wrong . Thanks for your kind messages - flare is finally fading but I seem to have lived on sugary food for the past week and feel pretty annoyed with myself ( and quite sick !!! my fault alone )

Prinzess It seems pretty well everyone will have face to face this time around . It's an attempt to start a new benefit from scratch and is the first time ever tried .Everything is on a massive scale now so it makes sense to review everyone .
    I can't remember if you requested a home assessment . If so that adds a bit to the wait as it takes longer for the journey to visit each claimant than dealing with interviews at the centre .
    From start to finish DDs claim took 5 months but it was worth the wait .
    Heads up for MAR and any others interested . New series of Vera 8pm tonight ITV .
    LW as least you got to the meeting - small victories are worth much .Sending a painless hug atta distance - think sheep onna stick but it doesn't shift the cobwebs .
    Take care all .
    polly xx
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    caronc
    I have much catching up to do !
    Caronc that sounds like good news . If something seems wrong in the decision it can go for MR , it depends how much difference a successful challenge would make . I'm assuming it's points awarded for the descriptors but I may be wrong . Thanks for your kind messages - flare is finally fading but I seem to have lived on sugary food for the past week and feel pretty annoyed with myself ( and quite sick !!! my fault alone )

Prinzess It seems pretty well everyone will have face to face this time around . It's an attempt to start a new benefit from scratch and is the first time ever tried .Everything is on a massive scale now so it makes sense to review everyone .
    I can't remember if you requested a home assessment . If so that adds a bit to the wait as it takes longer for the journey to visit each claimant than dealing with interviews at the centre .
    From start to finish DDs claim took 5 months but it was worth the wait .
    Heads up for MAR and any others interested . New series of Vera 8pm tonight ITV .
    LW as least you got to the meeting - small victories are worth much .Sending a painless hug atta distance - think sheep onna stick but it doesn't shift the cobwebs .
    Take care all .
    polly xx
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Good to see you back!

Yes I think it's worth asking for a reconsideration so plan to start the ball rolling tomorrow if I can find my "oomph" Unfortunately back in "attack mode" so having to very carefully watch my movements so it's doesn't trigger and I go over Makes me feel like !!!! but my sister came by this afternoon for a natter which cheered me up no end
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 20th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hi all . Ostara blessings - Welcome to the real Spring following the recent met office version .
    This has to be one of my favourite times of the year . Things seem more hopeful even if not always so in reality . Today is grey and windy but everything is literally springing back to life in the garden , the birds are busy and all feels good .
    I hope all had a restful night , I'm still having problems actually getting to sleep every few nights , was reading at 4pm this morning .
    Once I get to sleep I don't tend to wake during the night so that's a blessing .
    Tomorrow morning DD has a very early morning appt at a different hospital and will be having a thorough investigation of the shoulder and joint problems that have caused so much pain and even further restriction mobility and function wise . Fingers crossed that will lead to a diagnosis and the plan is to then structure treatment , physio etc around the findings . There is a surgical option but as she is so young it's hoped that will be on the back burner for some time in the future as it requires her to come off some of her meds for a while including the MTX which is what keeps her on her feet in a fashion and makes a real difference .
    Cranky I'm still catching up and was sorry to read of your friends passing and can totally understand how the dental appt must have come as a double blow .
    Have you managed yet to discuss the House Troll with your GP ?
    New Brighton was another childhood destination for us , it involved a long train journey and the Ferry Cross the Mersey . I vividly recall walking the length of the prom in my athletic youth form Woodside to NB . My dad was head chef at the Woodside Hotel back in it's glory days mid fifties to sixties and many times I went to work with him on the ferry . Not the dark side , we always called it " over the water " I wonder if people still do . Blue remembered hills eh !
    Anyway waffling again . I'll make a brew put my coat on and spend 10 minutes with the flowers and wildlife and then do something boring but necessary indoors .
    polly x
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 20th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 13,787 Posts
    • 127,514 Thanks
    mardatha
    Mine is on hold polly, we've got weather warnings for snow/hail/ice/ thunder & lightning. Spring is cancelled until later in the week
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 20th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Welcome back Pollyanna!

Yes, on the form I mentioned that should a face-face be necessary then I would need a hoe visit. My ESA has always been done without a face-face....my DLA was given initially without a face-face but was then renewed and I had to have one, it took a few phonecalls but eventually they accepted and I had a NIGHTMARE visit. (Mum was with me throughout and we still talk about the HCP ,.....now we can laugh a little....back then we were seriously considering reporting them....but we got the letter which said lower rate both components indefinite award and decided to keep silent!
    )
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    caronc
    Evening all,

Spring has been deferred here too 'tis bleeding baltic - heating is on and I have my fleecy slipper boots on, a t-shirt , a jumper and a cardi and I'm not roasting.....and it has to drop further overnight

Prinzessilein - hope it goes through without assessment but please prepare yourself that your PIP application will likely involve a face to face assessment

I phoned PIP today apart from taking ages to get through I was able to have a good chat with the case manager- she thinks it could be worth my while to ask for a MR (was going to anyway) and has marked that as lodged so I need to start writing it up.

My TU rep is hoping to visit me tomorrow re the Ill health retirement so another hurdle.

However on the plus side I've got my vestibular rehab first appointment date through for a fortnight today - let the recovery battle commence
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 21st Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 9,420 Posts
    • 101,839 Thanks
    LameWolf
    LW as least you got to the meeting - small victories are worth much
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Thanks. We've decided not to attend these any more; it's just too stressful for me; it's supposed to be enjoyable, but there's no enjoyment whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. So why am I putting myself through that? When it comes around next year, we shall just make our excuses.

On a better note, I had another stressful day yesterday - a "meet'n'greet" visit from a new client for the dog minding - basically the owner brings the dog over to meet Mr LW and myself, we talk about the dog's likes, dislikes, general routine, etc, and the owner makes a decision as to whether they want me to look after the dog for them; we get a lot of time-wasters, people who haven't really decided what they want to do, ones who want to visit half-a-dozen carers before deciding, we even had one who didn't actually know when they wanted to go on holiday!
    But yesterday's visit has resulted in a booking, straight away. I shall have a really beautiful, bouncy, lovely Staffie staying with me from 3rd to 8th April.
    LameWolf
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 13,787 Posts
    • 127,514 Thanks
    mardatha
    My god, the very thought of that dog is making me tired. I can only just cope with a very dignified , snooty, sleepy persian cat !
    I used to be in Mensa and went to one meeting. Just the one. It was full of prats who thought they were very special, all talking over each other. Never again!
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 21st Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Caronc - I fully expect a F2F...I had one for DLA renewal, so it is likely I will have one for PiP too. ....I just wish the letter would come! The waiting is horrible!...I also wish that the system allowed for 'lifetime' awards. I know that there are benefit cheats, but some people (like me- and others here) have conditions from which there is no marked improvement likely.

Anyway....hope everyone is having a good day!

I'm an ex-Mensa member too...I was a member for a couple of years, but only went to one meeting - not really my sort of thing. (They met in a noisy pub).

A bouncy Staffie sounds fun...for all of two minutes!

I went out this morning and stopped to watch some seagulls. There were 5 of them, and one of them had managed to snag a half baguette. It was too big for him to carry so he was pecking away at it on the street - and the other 4 were trying to steal it! Every so often one would make a grab with their beak and he would scream at them to get away....it was better than any TV show!

The weather is taking a brighter turn...it won't be long and we can sit out in the communal garden with a cuppa. Mum has one of the raised bed areas - we will have to check on her herb garden soon too, see what needs doing.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 26th Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 9,420 Posts
    • 101,839 Thanks
    LameWolf
    How's everyone?
    Enjoying some spring sunshine, I hope.

I managed to pull a bucketful of weeds out of the front garden yesterday, the ground is still very wet and our soil is beastly claggy, but it looks a bit better for the effort.

I'm debating whether to try and do some more today, or will that knock me into Wednesday week? Common sense says not to do it today, but the sun's shining, and it could be wet tomorrow.....
    LameWolf
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    caronc
    LW - me (not being sensible) would be going for it it might be winter again tomorrow

It's been a glorious couple of days here. Yesterday I visited friends who live up a hill so have the most spectacular views and a gorgeous bundle of 11 week old labradoodle so lots of puppy snuggles was a pretty perfect afternoon with wine sitting in the sunshine followed by HM Chinese food
    Today I've been shattered but it was so worth it........
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 27th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 9,420 Posts
    • 101,839 Thanks
    LameWolf
    LW - me (not being sensible) would be going for it it might be winter again tomorrow
    Originally posted by caronc
    I did - and OMG am I paying for it today.
    Pacing? Wassat then?
    LameWolf
    • caronc
    • By caronc 27th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 10,258 Thanks
    caronc
    LW - you've got to make the most of the sunshine and stuff the consequences

I had a both frustrating and satisfying morning, frustrating as a job the before would have taken an 1/2 hour tops took most of the morning but satisfying 'cos I got it done. So my mattress has been turned, under the bed swept and my bed made up with a lighter weight duvet. Needless to say a serious lie down afterwards was needed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter