Transitional protection universal credit

Hi

I am wondering if anyone has info about transitional protection re UC if managed migrated from tax credits. On entitled to we would get nothing under UC but do get tax credits at present. When managed migrated does this mean we would get a transitional protection and keep tax credit amount i.e. Would we get UC of £0 plus tax credit of current rate as a transitional protection top up?

Thanks

Comments

• Thanks. The bit that confuses me is this:

"Your transitional amount won't be reduced until your Universal Credit entitlement falls to £0. Even then you won't lose all your transitional protection amount at once, it will be removed at the set taper rate, currently 65%. This means you will lose 65p of your transitional protection amount for every £1 you earn."

So reading that a taper applies if your UC is £0 but what happens if your UC is £0 from the outset - is the taper applied from the outset.

Also any changes such as increase in earnings would in theory decrease UC entitlement but it would not in fact decrease it if youR UC already stood at £0. So in that case, does a taper kick in anyway?
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Thanks. The bit that confuses me is this:

"Your transitional amount won't be reduced until your Universal Credit entitlement falls to £0. Even then you won't lose all your transitional protection amount at once, it will be removed at the set taper rate, currently 65%. This means you will lose 65p of your transitional protection amount for every £1 you earn."

So reading that a taper applies if your UC is £0 but what happens if your UC is £0 from the outset - is the taper applied from the outset.

Also any changes such as increase in earnings would in theory decrease UC entitlement but it would not in fact decrease it if youR UC already stood at £0. So in that case, does a taper kick in anyway?

They haven't published the detail on transitional protection - difficult to answer your question until that is published.

IQ
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Icequeen is right.

From memory a user on the rightsnet forums (who liaises with the DWP at the top levels) said all they've been told is that the Regs or SIs will be laid before the House in the Spring - but AFAIK all are still no wiser as to precisely when this will be.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure