Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 19th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,625Posts
    • 9,780Thanks
    iammumtoone
    unscented fabric conditioner
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    unscented fabric conditioner 19th Mar 17 at 9:43 PM
    I dont use fabric conditioner as my son won't wear the clothes due to the smell (I dont like it much either)

He also never wears clothes when he can get away with it due to the feeling of them, I think it would help him if they were softer (ie I used fabric conditioner)

Therefore am looking for a fabric conditioner that doesn't smell. Whilst unscented products do not smell of flowers/sea breeze etc in my experience they still smell.

Can anyone recommend anything to make the clothes softer with no smell.

Thanks
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

Page 2
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 20th Mar 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Wow thats unanimous, white vinegar it is then I will report back once I have tried it.

I always use less than the recommended amount of powder by a third (due to the smell and cost saving) I find that it still get the clothes clean. I wash most things at 60 deg so that probably helps.

How much vinegar does everyone put in?
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Glad that we've managed to convince/browbeat you to try.

I just put a glug in, as been using it that long I never measure. I think a capful, as in what you would with fabric conditioner, should be about right. On occasion I have over-glugged No harm done, and no vinegar smelling clothes ever.

I can't always get white vinegar here, so have successfully used grape vinegar, which is the local cheapest vinegar. I have also used brown malt vinegar before, when I had run out of white when I lived in the UK. Didn't stain the clothing, and worked just as well as the white vinegar, even in a white wash.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 21st Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 4,708 Thanks
    Biggles
    Wow so that's 20 litres of vinegar that's really brilliant at that price, I will get my DD to get me some as she has an amazon account
    Originally posted by JackieO
    It's marginally cheaper than the pint bottles you can buy at any Tesco, as mentioned above, which are 69p a litre (though that is British, not Chinese, in case that matters). And only then if she can combine it with other 'qualifying purchases' to take it over £20, when it's free delivery. Then it's only 64p a litre. If it's a one-off purchase, though, the addition of carriage is going to make it 88p a litre.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 14,776 Posts
    • 119,026 Thanks
    JackieO
    She bulk buys quite a lot of stuff from Amazon so when she next has an order I will get her to get me some, every little helps plus it saves me carting it back from the supermarket which I do my best to steer clear of if I can
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 21st Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    rach_k
    But aren't they different things? Calgon, for example specifically say it's not a descaler, whereas you say Tesco describe theirs as limescale remover. That suggests they aren't the same thing.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Sorry, it is Limescale Prevention Powder, water softener like Calgon although not the same chemical. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=261360732
    • wort
    • By wort 23rd Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    wort
    I have used the eco egg which is used instead of powder to clean your clothes that states on the box that you don't need to use softener. It's a plastic egg filled with pellets something to do with ions I think. It washes for ages before the pellet s need topping up too ,so is economic.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 27th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 4,625 Posts
    • 9,780 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    UPDATE

I have started to use white vinegar. going by the scientific measurement recommended by Anne Marie, a glug I also got some soda crystals and put them in as well to help soften the water with the main wash (I live in a very hard water area).

There is a smell when you take the clothes out but as promised this goes once they have dried.

I have noticed a bit of a difference, the clothes are softer but its not a major difference I will carry on as hopefully the more I use it the softer the clothes will get.

I have tried an eco egg but didn't like it, unfortunately it didn't get the clothes clean I'm not sure if I kept it, I will have a look maybe I could try that as well as normal powder.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 27th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 4,385 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    Even when you remove clothes from the machine after adding vinegar, the smell is only slight, so it won't smell like it does when you use it on your chips. As others have said it dries with no smell and does not leave a water repellent residue on clothes.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 2nd Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    UPDATE

I have started to use white vinegar. going by the scientific measurement recommended by Anne Marie, a glug I also got some soda crystals and put them in as well to help soften the water with the main wash (I live in a very hard water area).

There is a smell when you take the clothes out but as promised this goes once they have dried.

I have noticed a bit of a difference, the clothes are softer but its not a major difference I will carry on as hopefully the more I use it the softer the clothes will get.

I have tried an eco egg but didn't like it, unfortunately it didn't get the clothes clean I'm not sure if I kept it, I will have a look maybe I could try that as well as normal powder.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    So glad that you liked the glug scientific measure! Has taken me years to perfect! 0nce you've measured a few times, you get the gist, and no idea to keep a measure around, just causes clutter.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 3rd Apr 17, 9:08 AM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 4,708 Thanks
    Biggles
    But - returning to my post 10 - can anyone say whether fabcon, vinegar or any of the various substitutes actually do anything? A lovely smell, a softer feel, anything?

Has anyone tried using nothing in that little compartment in the drawer and found that there's really no difference at the end of the day?

I have reduced the amounts I put in and remain dubious of the benefits but lack the conviction to stop entirely, mainly because I'm fairly sure I won't be able to tell the difference! Has anyone tried living without fabcon?

In short - is it all a con by the detergent manufacturers?
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 3rd Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 3,745 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Have used Morrisons Pure, think the Co-op do a similar version
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 3rd Apr 17, 11:34 AM
    • 957 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I noticed a few people here mentioning 500ml bottles of white vinegar for around 45p. I buy my bottles from Aldi, at a cost of around 27p per 500ml bottle.

Not the greatest saving, but it helps in the long run.

According to mySupermarket, Asda sell 500ml bottles for 21p each.
    Asda 21p
    Aldi 27p
    Lidl 27p
    Tesco 39p
    Morrisons 48p
    Sainsbury's 50p
    Waitrose 55p
    ocada 55p
    Edit: Error on my part - the prices quoted above are for malt vinegar.
    Last edited by poppellerant; 03-04-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 3rd Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Hmmm I generally don't mind smell if anything I like it that being said I notice unless I do a quick wash with a tiny amount of powder my clothes look a little white powdery so this may be good but would be nice to have a smell too as I can get a little clammy around certain areas.

Not sure to just try this or is theres a tip to give it a nice smell without using fabric conditioner too, currently just put clothes on line which makes them smell nice but after wearing them short time they lose that nice on the line smell.
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 5th Apr 17, 1:21 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    But - returning to my post 10 - can anyone say whether fabcon, vinegar or any of the various substitutes actually do anything? A lovely smell, a softer feel, anything?

Has anyone tried using nothing in that little compartment in the drawer and found that there's really no difference at the end of the day?

I have reduced the amounts I put in and remain dubious of the benefits but lack the conviction to stop entirely, mainly because I'm fairly sure I won't be able to tell the difference! Has anyone tried living without fabcon?
    U
    Woollens tend to come out of the machine tight and squeaky and full of static but that's all I've noticed

I can't use fabric conditioner as matter of course as I'm pretty much allergic so use the vinegar when needed
    • tanyalasagne
    • By tanyalasagne 5th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    tanyalasagne

I once ran out and thought 'sod' it will go without, my clothes all dried board stiff, and were scratchy and unpleasant to wear - I would never go without again if I have a choice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter