Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • invisibility
    • By invisibility 13th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 11Thanks
    invisibility
    I'm a 24 year old ex-teacher and I feel I have no prospects
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    I'm a 24 year old ex-teacher and I feel I have no prospects 13th Mar 17 at 1:55 PM
    Brief outline of me:

Straight As at GCSE and A-Level
    2:1 Politics degree from a good uni
    PGCE in 11-18 education
    18 months working as an A-Level Politics teacher and pastoral tutor
    Now unemployed but definitely not wanting to teach again

Why am I unemployed? Because I had a long time off on sick leave and I am still unable to work, but that doesn't mean I don't spend a lot of my day researching about careers and prospects, etc.

I've been having a look around the job market since Jan, and applied for some as well. I'm getting frustrated because I don't feel like I am qualified for anything (perhaps apart from teaching).

I was looking at pastoral jobs, which I'd like, becuase I enjoyed that side of my job, but at every pastoral interview I've been to, there's always been someone better than me. More experience, older or internal. It's hard to keep applying when it keeps on happening.

I'd quite like an admin post in education, preferably at a university, but I've not got an interview for any of the 10+ I've applied to, even though these were GCSE level entry jobs. I don't have direct admin experience but teaching has a huge amount of admin work involved so whilst I haven't worked in an office, I have the necessary skills for an admin post.

I would be willing to do a masters degree if I thought it would significantly enhance my prospects but I've yet to think of one that would do that.

I have no idea what to do. I feel either under or over qualified for everything and not employable. Any advice on how to improve my prospects?
Page 1
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 13th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    You're 24, you've plenty of time for a second or third career yet!

Have you looked at graduate schemes?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 7,624 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    You are totally unemployable, a failure, a nowhere person.

No that is not me talking, that is you!!!

You are 24, you obviously have marketable skills, it is just matching these to suitable employment. You will have to drastically change your attitude - that job looks interesting, what could I bring to it that would impress a prospective employer - positive mindset all the time. Don't get an interview? Well only 10% of the applicants did, so not so bad.
    • Velvet Glove
    • By Velvet Glove 13th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Velvet Glove
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    Sometimes it all comes down to the CV. Are you mentioning in that or the cover letter about your admin experience? I know and you know how much admin is involved in teaching these days (I take my hat off to you - that and children is my worst nightmare!) but recruiters don't always.think like that. What I do is put at the top of my CV details of what they've put in their 'criteria' and then details of my skills in there. PM me if you'd like to see an example.
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 13th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:26 PM
    Perspective:

You are 24.

You have (probably) at least 40 years left of working.

That is a long time to be "stuck".

You will get there, just be patient, improve your CV and hope for the best.

If you are not getting interviews, the issue is most likely your CV not matching to the job. Either try and be more realistic over you applications, or improve your CV so it matches more to every job you apply to.

If you are getting interviews, then the issue is most likely your interview skills, in which case there are courses that can help (if not, ask a friend for interview help).
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    I too have applied for maybe 50 jobs now with no interviews. I think its harder to find a job than it used to be. Have you looked into public sector? There are often roles related to education where an understanding of education is required but you don't actually have to teach. Outreach to assist traveller families to access education, attendance officers etc. To be honest you are still young at 24 and have a degree, so you could easily do a professional course in something and change direction. It can be hard changing path, but once that first company gives you a chance you will soon take off. My husband did that at 30 and is now doing really well so I've seen first hand it can be done. Would you relocate? Could open up more doors.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 6,070 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    I was looking at pastoral jobs, which I'd like, becuase I enjoyed that side of my job, but at every pastoral interview I've been to, there's always been someone better than me. More experience, older or internal. It's hard to keep applying when it keeps on happening.
    Originally posted by invisibility
    This jumped out at me - especially the older bit. Don't you think your youth, as a more accessible role model, could be a selling point for pastoral jobs?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • EconomicsGirl
    • By EconomicsGirl 13th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    EconomicsGirl
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:16 PM
    You could work for an MP, a political party or lobbying / policy roles, these will be mostly London based. You maybe over qualified for admin. Charities may have relevant roles.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    I don't have direct admin experience but teaching has a huge amount of admin work involved so whilst I haven't worked in an office, I have the necessary skills for an admin post.
    Originally posted by invisibility
    No you don't. There's a world of difference between filling in a few forms and having in depth knowledge of Excel.
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 13th Mar 17, 9:29 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    glosoli
    No you don't. There's a world of difference between filling in a few forms and having in depth knowledge of Excel.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Not every administration job requires an in-depth knowledge of excel (or any other program), as I am sure you know...
    • analyticalglory
    • By analyticalglory 14th Mar 17, 2:15 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    analyticalglory
    Maybe try working online on sites like Upwork. It will help you get back in the game. At least until you have a better prospect.
    • skint_chick
    • By skint_chick 14th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    skint_chick
    Also if you're unemployed you should consider some volunteering, check out local charities and organisations in the area you're considering to see if you can get some volunteer work to see if that would be a career path for you. It will get you something else on your CV as well to show that the sick leave was only relevant to teaching.

I changed career 3 years ago in my late thirties and it's going very well and I still have almost 30 years to achieve all my goals! You've achieved a lot in a few years so I think you are being overly critical of yourself in a very difficult job market when you're trying to change direction. You just need to think how you can maximise your chances by seeking out other routes to the type of position you want.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
    • marlot
    • By marlot 14th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 2,173 Thanks
    marlot
    Where are you based in the country? If West Midlands you'd be welcome to come into our office (Civil Service, Coventry) and you can speak with a number of my graduates and apprentices about what they do.
    • invisibility
    • By invisibility 14th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    invisibility
    Can't seem to get multi-quote to work so apologies for this being a general reply rather than to each individual.

Thanks for the interesting and helpful replies. Much appreciated.

Graduate schemes - I have indeed looked at them but a lot of them closed before I left my job, so I may have to rely on next year's intake.

CVs - I've hardly had to use my CV at all, actually. Hardly any applications have asked for it and most have stated that they don't accept it. Good point about spelling out the amount of admin in teaching though - I could do with clarifying that.

Career change - I know I'm at a good age to consider a career change, I suppose I just don't know what I would retrain as! I can't think of many things I want to do which would require an additional qualification or something like that. I would like to give career's advice and there is a qualification I can do but I'd have to pay out of my own money and jobs are so sparse.

Pastoral jobs - I thought my youth would be an advantage too! But on the TES forums (for teachers) I posted a similar thread to this and got told I was far too young and inexperienced to be considering pastoral roles... :/

Upwork - I sadly don't know what freelance skills I could offer! Politics A-Level tutoring isn't in high supply

Volunteering - I am really keen to do this. I have registered my interested with several on the Do It website, but I think I'll give them a direct call as I haven't heard back. I've applied for ones with admin experience! I have far too much charity shop experience for that to help me in anyway.

Marlot - Thanks so much for the kind offer but unfortunately I don't live near Coventry - I'm up near Manchester. Do you deal with recruitment? I refresh the Civil Service jobs website every day. The application process seems very rigorous! I've seen jobs on there in the past that I've been interested in (but still employed so more looking speculatively) and I'm hoping they will come around again. Executive Officer posts with the Department of Education in Manchester are of great interest to me. I feel I would be well qualified.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 14th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    My advice is always to follow further education up with an industry recognised certification in the field you'd like to pursue a career. I figured this out 2 years in to uni, dropped out and spent 2 years in night school getting 5 or 6 IT/Networking related certifications and the response was immediate.
    Started 07/15. Car finance £16,150 :/ , Mortgage: 130k - Savings: £600
    • mummyyum
    • By mummyyum 15th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mummyyum
    Have you considered Special Needs teaching? It is very different to mainstream...lots more pastoral care and involvement with the childrens wellbeing. You could register with an agency such as Sugarman to try out special needs and see what you think. I'm sure you would get a placement virtually straight away. Good luck.
    • Cirias
    • By Cirias 20th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Cirias
    Can you not go back into teaching but maybe at a different school or different subject? It seems to me that you should utilise what experience you already have and plug away at it to build up your work history. While you're teaching you could then put the feelers out for what else might be around, or you may even find an opportunity at the school and be able to apply internally.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,540Posts Today

4,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin