Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 31st Oct 06, 11:44 AM
    • 8,104Posts
    • 42,234Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged)
    • 31st Oct 06, 11:44 AM
    0 WOW
    The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged) 31st Oct 06 at 11:44 AM
    The internet is a mine of free information and can be especially useful when wanting to learn a new skill. So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers pool of knowledge to find out free online courses. Whether it's a language you want to learn, PC skills or something random like juggling share your gems of info!

What to post

We need to know a bit about the course and please include a hyperlink to where it can be found.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 27-01-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 11
    • somasthket
    • By somasthket 14th Dec 16, 4:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    somasthket
    Hi,

I would definitely recommend doing the Business and Admin Level 2 & 3. Level 2 is quick.

Wondering if you can tell me about the Level 2 IT course, does it cover pivot tables, v-lookup and in how much detail?

Merry Christmas

K
    • Mee
    • By Mee 15th Dec 16, 10:13 AM
    • 794 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Mee
    Level 2 IT
    I completed the course in 2014/2015 and it did not contain 'how to' of pivot tables then. However, there are some excellent YouTube videos out there:
    Sali Kaceli and
    Simon Sez IT
    to name but two of my favs.

I could only do Bus & Admin L2 (2015/2016) - so would like to know when and which partner college offer(ed) L3.
    Would recommend Equality and Diversity.
    You can click the Thanks button if you want

• somasthket
    • By somasthket 15th Dec 16, 11:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    somasthket
    The Online Learning College offer Level 3
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 3rd Jan 17, 12:59 PM
    • 21,268 Posts
    • 36,776 Thanks
    SailorSam
    Free online Family Research course.
    I've had an email from 'Lilly', who do free online courses. One of the courses that is starting later this month is about researching your family tree.
    I don't know whether it will be any good, but you may want to check it out.

Free online course
    Genealogy: Researching Your Family Tree

Develop an understanding of genealogy – how to research your family tree and communicate the results – in this free online course.

• FREE online course
    • Duration: 6 weeks
    • 4 hours pw
    • Certificates available

Download video: standard or HD

About the course

This free online course will help you develop an understanding of basic genealogy techniques and how to communicate your family history. We will consider how to effectively find and analyse sources and explore the potential of DNA testing as applied to genealogy. We’ll help you add historical context to your family history and discuss how to record and communicate research findings in a clear fashion. The course is primarily designed for people at beginner to intermediate level.
    Learn how to find and store information on your family tree

We’ll get you to define what you want to research, and consider the best ways to go about finding and storing information on your family tree. A key challenge of genealogy – finding the right person among a number of possible candidates, with ever-changing spellings of surnames – will be considered.
    We’ll conclude by introducing the main types of tools genealogists use to communicate their research finds, including creating a family tree and look at how to write a meaningful family history.
    Share your own genealogy finds with learners worldwide

Throughout the course, you’ll follow the story of Chris, as she uncovers her own family history, and you’ll be encouraged to share sources and ideas particular to your area of genealogical interest and geographic focus.
    The course will not concentrate on a specific country’s records or how to source these, so it will be useful to anyone around the world.
    Develop your genealogy skills

The knowledge you gain from this course may prompt you to explore family history research more deeply or consider a career as a professional genealogist.
    You may even wish to take your learning further, with the University of Strathclyde’s online MSc in Genealogical Palaeographic and Heraldic Studies.

• Created by

Start dates

• 16 Jan 2017

<li class="run-dates__run-date"> Upcoming
    <li class="run-dates__run-date"> TBA
    • Date to be announced

Educators

Tahitia McCabe

Requirements

No special knowledge or previous experience of studying is required.
    This course will be suitable if you:
    • have no experience with genealogy or family history research;
    • have some experience with genealogical research but want to develop your skills and knowledge further;
    • are a more experienced genealogical researcher but want to learn new searching, analytical or communication techniques or
    • find it difficult to access opportunities for training and development.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 3rd Jan 17, 1:42 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 4,660 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I wonder if the course will cover both the English and the Scottish researching as they are slightly different in the way the records are available.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 865.3
    This week 67.1
    • juno
    • By juno 3rd Jan 17, 8:16 PM
    • 6,400 Posts
    • 9,073 Thanks
    juno
    Social Care TV are offering a free course in Depression until February 6th.

This is the course details

This is the link for the free course
    Sealed pot challenge #377
    Target £125 - 2009 total £117.57
    2010 total £151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
    • lemontart
    • By lemontart 15th Jan 17, 11:15 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    lemontart
    free digital photography course
    From Harvard this time

https://alison.com/courses/Digital-Photography

and another 4 listed here http://ketteringsnappers.freeforums.net/thread/856/more-free-photography-courses
    Last edited by lemontart; 15-01-2017 at 5:15 PM.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
    • LLC86
    • By LLC86 17th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LLC86
    FRE online course!!
    vision2learn offer completely free online courses for those living in England and over the age of 19!

I have just completed the Business & Administration course and loved it, the support is fantastic and you can do it whenever you like, as long as you hit your assignment submission dates! I struggled a bit with my first assignment but the tutors feedback was great, and I was allowed to resubmit until I got it right!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,206Posts Today

8,533Users online

Martin's Twitter