Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 10th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 883Posts
    • 1,416Thanks
    coffeehound
    'My Posts' button
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    'My Posts' button 10th Mar 17 at 6:17 PM
    A lot of threads on MSE Forum quickly stagnate or don't reach a satisfactory conclusion because the original poster never returns.

It seems likely that this is often because the original poster simply doesn't know how to find their thread. Due to the high posting rate here, threads disappear from the front pages of their respective forum in a short time.

A prominent 'My Posts' button that is always visible in the Forum would help thread-starters find their posts and thereby give better continuity and resolution to threads.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Mar 17, 5:14 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:14 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:14 AM
    I agree.

I often chip in but then can't find the thread I've posted on and have to do a search by my user name.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 11th Mar 17, 6:11 AM
    • 12,079 Posts
    • 39,011 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:11 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:11 AM
    Just hit your username and then you will see all posts is there.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 11th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    I Love comps
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    The other option to keep up to date with threads that you are interested in is subscribe to them. If you wish to subscribe to a thread then visit the thread you wish to keep up with (even your own thread), and at the top of the thread click subscribe.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    Just hit your username and then you will see all posts is there.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    The other option to keep up to date with threads that you are interested in is subscribe to them. If you wish to subscribe to a thread then visit the thread you wish to keep up with (even your own thread), and at the top of the thread click subscribe.
    Originally posted by I Love comps
    I think a problem with these methods is they require some prior knowledge, whereas a first-time poster probably won't know about them. (I'd been here probably two years before working out you can click your username to find previous posts!) An obvious button to find previous posts is required IMO.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 11th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 12,079 Posts
    • 39,011 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    I think a problem with these methods is they require some prior knowledge, whereas a first-time poster probably won't know about them. (I'd been here probably two years before working out you can click your username to find previous posts!) An obvious button to find previous posts is required IMO.
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    I see what you mean but if a new user has no prior knowledge, they only have to post on here and users will point them in the right direction.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 5,311 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    You don't say which version you are on but I am on the old green version and just use the 'user CP' button from any page and it takes me straight to the list of subscribed thread with recent posts.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1226.3
    This week 77.42
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 12th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    You don't say which version you are on but I am on the old green version and just use the 'user CP' button from any page and it takes me straight to the list of subscribed thread with recent posts.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Yes the green version here too. The User CP button only brings up subscribed threads rather than recent posts.

I see what you mean but if a new user has no prior knowledge, they only have to post on here and users will point them in the right direction.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    That's just not happening though and instead people give up and never return to their thread. The fact that 40% of people who post on the forum only ever make one post illustrates the problem!

Last edited by coffeehound; 12-03-2017 at 8:15 AM.
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 12th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 8,649 Posts
    • 18,677 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    Yes the green version here too. The User CP button only brings up subscribed threads rather than recent posts.
    The way I would search for a previous, fairly recent post of mine ... necessary when a BG/Moderator moves a thread to another board ... is to do what sarah1972 describes above.
    Click on my username at the top of the screen (the "Welcome, username. You last visited ..." part), then click on the 'Statistics' tab, and then on the "Find all posts by (yourself)" option.
    This normally works for me, and of course if my post is not there at all it will tell me that my post, together with possibly hundreds of other similarly innocent posts, has been deleted because the whole thread has been deleted, just because one or two posts by others were deemed unacceptable. C'est la vie.

But I accept that this 'stepping through screens' is not that obvious to a newbie.
    However, all new users will of course now be on the 'blue version' (by default).
    As I use that version as little as possible (I want to avoid headaches and retain my eyesight ), I am not able to comment on how easy it is to find previous posts on that version.

That's just not happening though and instead people give up and never return to their thread.
    Strictly speaking, we probably don't know whether "people give up and never return to their thread".
    Yes, they might not post on it again, but it might simply be that they have returned to the thread, read the responses, received a satisfactory answer to their question, and have no need to post anything further.
    There are of course other reasons why some users never return to a thread they started ...

The fact that 40% of people who post on the forum only ever make one post illustrates the problem!
    No. It is simply a statistic. Like many other statistics about this forum, it is interesting. But the meaning behind it can be various and complicated. It does not necessarily imply a 'problem' that new users are having.

Whoever knew that there was a colour called 'LemonChiffon' ...
    Something new I've learned today.
    Last edited by Mandelbrot; 12-03-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 12th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Strictly speaking, we probably don't know whether "people give up and never return to their thread".
    Yes, they might not post on it again, but it might simply be that they have returned to the thread, read the responses, received a satisfactory answer to their question, and have no need to post anything further.
    There are of course other reasons why some users never return to a thread they started ...

No. It is simply a statistic. Like many other statistics about this forum, it is interesting. But the meaning behind it can be various and complicated. It does not necessarily imply a 'problem' that new users are having.
    Originally posted by Mandelbrot
    Yes I wasn't seeking to imply that all 40% make only one post for this reason, but the fact that I and other posters have had this difficulty shows that there is a problem. Something as fundamental to a forum as re-finding one's own posts really shouldn't be as difficult as it is here.
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 12th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 8,649 Posts
    • 18,677 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    Something as fundamental to a forum as re-finding one's own posts really shouldn't be as difficult as it is here.
    Agreed.

A slightly quicker way, if you are a frequent poster and depending on where you are in the system of course, is to click on your username in a particular post. That will bring a drop-down box, of which one of the options is "Find more posts by (you)".

This is on the 'Green' version. I can't remember if something similar exists on the 'Blue' version.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 14th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 8,198 Posts
    • 20,245 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Thanks everyone

These are points that are hopefully clearer in the blue forum version, which anyone who joined in the last 2 years (just about) will be on. The user profile gives various ways to get back to threads you've posted on etc.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 14th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 8,649 Posts
    • 18,677 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    Thanks everyone

These are points that are hopefully clearer in the blue forum version, which anyone who joined in the last 2 years (just about) will be on. The user profile gives various ways to get back to threads you've posted on etc.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    That assumes, of course, that you realise that you have to go into 'user profile' to see your previous posts.

I thought the point coffeehound was making was that a complete newbie might well not realise that, and a specific button to get the posts might be useful.
    I think I would agree with that.

The first aim of a user interface ought to be that it is used.
    If it doesn't flag up ... easily ... to the user what they expect to see, in order to do what they want to do, then it has essentially failed that test.

Anything else is, in my view, secondary.
    • shyestgirl
    • By shyestgirl 15th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    shyestgirl
    Hello. How do I PM you, please, so as others can't see?
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 15th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    Hello. How do I PM you, please, so as others can't see?
    Originally posted by shyestgirl

Click on the person you want to PM username and use the send PM option in the drop down list.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 15th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    Alter ego
    Quick links-subscribed threads works for me.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

521Posts Today

5,720Users online

Martin's Twitter