Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Andrew SLC
    • By Andrew SLC 13th Mar 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Andrew SLC
    Student loan company
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:07 PM
    Student loan company 13th Mar 17 at 8:07 PM
    can anyone give me some advice on a matter I'm having with student loan company.I got over paid on a grant I got off them in 2010, they sent me a loans form to fill in which I filled in and sent back to them.
    They got the course wrong and the time period I was studying worry. Which is why I was over paid.
    They are saying I have to pay them back even though it's their error, but I'm saying I'm not in a contract with them as I signed a loans form (which is wrong) when I've got a grant off them (all my paper work says grant).
    Any help would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Mar 17, 10:41 PM
    • 18,142 Posts
    • 13,846 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:41 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:41 PM
    I can't comment on the legal position but the moral one is clear: you received money that you weren't entitled to, you should have paid it back at the time, you didn't but now they have asked for it you shoud pay it back now. As you seem to be looking for reasons not to repay it I think we can work out where your morality lies.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 14th Mar 17, 5:55 AM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 3,344 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:55 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 5:55 AM
    I agree with agrinnall - you know you should repay any over-payment.

Be careful how you proceed with this - you have said you have signed forms which were wrong - if this went further they could say you deliberately agreed to incorrect information.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,199Users online

Martin's Twitter