Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Feb 17, 11:03 AM
    • 16,210Posts
    • 96,770Thanks
    maman
    Can anything be done about CAPTCHA?
    • 13th Feb 17, 11:03 AM
    Can anything be done about CAPTCHA? 13th Feb 17 at 11:03 AM
    One day last week I started getting the CAPTCHA 'I'm not a robot?' screen when posting on mse. I know I'm not the only one as another poster asked about the same problem on another thread.

Looking at my history I'm obviously not a spammer so no idea why.

It's incredibly irritating and if I forget to do copy and paste the post can be lost (and we all know how annoying that is!). I have to verify that I'm a human and sometimes it publishes my post first time, sometimes it doesn't.

I'd appreciate a response and an explanation please.
Page 3
    • maman
    • By maman 25th Feb 17, 1:06 PM
    • 16,210 Posts
    • 96,770 Thanks
    maman
    3 Robot screens and 5 photo screens this morning, just for one post.
    • Painkiller
    • By Painkiller 25th Feb 17, 5:48 PM
    • 4,385 Posts
    • 2,027,613 Thanks
    Painkiller
    Removing all hyperlinks from my thread before submitting it, then editing them back in once the thread has been posted seemed to prevent the CloudFlare reCaptcha from appearing for me.
    • Potato Fist
    • By Potato Fist 26th Feb 17, 3:41 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Potato Fist
    The reason people are receiving the CAPTCHA pop up is because you are posting on the forum using a mobile service to access the internet and as mobile services encrypt your data you need to verify that you are a human because your encrypted data triggers the security on the website that prevents spam bots.
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 26th Feb 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    The reason people are receiving the CAPTCHA pop up is because you are posting on the forum using a mobile service to access the internet and as mobile services encrypt your data you need to verify that you are a human because your encrypted data triggers the security on the website that prevents spam bots.
    Originally posted by Potato Fist
    How then do you explain the fact that I have always used a mobile service to post and it is only in the last week Captcha has cropped up.
    Additionally it does so randomly and not on every post.
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 26th Feb 17, 4:27 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84

I've had it at home on my laptop twice.
    • tru
    • By tru 26th Feb 17, 6:07 PM
    • 8,518 Posts
    • 42,243 Thanks
    tru
    I always use my laptop, the same one I've used for around four years, with same internet connection. The CAPTCHA thing has been happening for around two weeks.
    Bulletproof
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 26th Feb 17, 7:22 PM
    • 37,576 Posts
    • 5,975,331 Thanks
    One-Eye
    I got it for the first time today - I had been feeling a bit left out

The particularly annoying thing about my experience is that I got it several times in a row on the same post. It appeared each time I used "Preview Post" whilst I was formatting my post, and again when I finally submitted. Surely after confirming that I was not a robot once, I am unlikely to have turned into one in the next few seconds.

Unlike some others, it did not destroy my work. After passing the robot test the preview and the submission worked normally.

It may be of some interest that I got it when I had inadvertently left my User-Agent set as "mobile" - the normal setting is "desktop". (Many regulars on the Competitions Time forum utilise User-Agent add-ons for browsers to stop annoying videos from playing when entering certain comps).
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 26th Feb 17, 7:25 PM
    • 26,622 Posts
    • 12,871 Thanks
    Cardew
    As I said in an earlier post, it occurred on my desktop - connected by ethernet - with Windows10 and Firefox
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 26th Feb 17, 7:30 PM
    • 37,576 Posts
    • 5,975,331 Thanks
    One-Eye
    Regular contributors are getting really fed up now. Changing the way links in posts open was a minor annoyance.

Cloudflare is driving users away.
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Feb 17, 1:18 PM
    • 16,210 Posts
    • 96,770 Thanks
    maman
    It's now a week since mse andrea responded and nothing has happened. If anything it's getting worse.

Like others, I've made absolutely no changes to my PC. This is definitely a mse issue.

I'm going to fill in another form and keep nagging away. Other than giving up on mse there seems to be no other option.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 28th Feb 17, 9:23 PM
    • 25,813 Posts
    • 32,483 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Just been trying to add a reply to a post, 3 times bloody captcha comes up, you pass the test and the page does not come back. Gave up. I wonder if people have given up and gone elsewhere.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 28th Feb 17, 9:26 PM
    • 25,813 Posts
    • 32,483 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    It may be for you but not here, lappy, wifi, all same as the last few years.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 16,210 Posts
    • 96,770 Thanks
    maman
    Don't want to tempt fate but no CAPTCHA today so far......

Disappointed that mseandrea hasn't come back to explain though. That's poor customer service.
    • tru
    • By tru 2nd Mar 17, 7:25 AM
    • 8,518 Posts
    • 42,243 Thanks
    tru
    I came on here last night and had to log in, I never log out so thought it was a bit odd. I posted this morning and there was no CAPTCHA so I assume it's been sorted?
    Bulletproof
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 2nd Mar 17, 8:01 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Sicard
    So maybe my gift of a crate of digestives to the tech team may have worked.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • maman
    • By maman 3rd Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 16,210 Posts
    • 96,770 Thanks
    maman
    Two days on and the problem does seem to be sorted.

I've changed nothing this end so it must have been that mse had their settings too high or something.

Very bad form that no one has come on to explain or apologise for the inconvenience.

I find it infuriating that mse employees spend their time making up fictitious, hypothetical threads but haven't the time to respond to genuine ones.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 8,325 Posts
    • 20,421 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your help on this. Hopefully you've not had issues with this for a while.

If you have can you let us know when and what you were trying to do at the time?

Thanks!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

822Posts Today

6,905Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin