Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • wland
    • 11th Feb 15, 5:03 PM
    • 11th Feb 15, 5:03 PM
    Anyone any ideas on this?

Currently I can't ring up Barclays so can't find out
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Feb 15, 12:49 PM
    • 17,666 Posts
    • 13,369 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Feb 15, 12:49 PM
    • 12th Feb 15, 12:49 PM
    I don't know much about student accounts as they didn't really exist when I was an undergraduate, many years ago, but from what I see on here you wouldn't be the first person who has been left with their student account long after graduating. The banks seem to be a bit slapdash about identifying who should be switched to a graduate account and when it should happen. If it's advantageous to you to stay on the student account then I'd let sleeping dogs lie until Barclays bring it up.
    • buttonmoon
    • By buttonmoon 19th Feb 15, 11:06 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    buttonmoon
    • 19th Feb 15, 11:06 PM
    • 19th Feb 15, 11:06 PM
    I've still got my barclays student overdraft limit 13 years after graduating. I have kept it for just in case of emergency (but would pay 9.9% between £500 and £3000) I have got a graduate additions account (I don't know if they do this any more) with a £500 interest free overdraft. When I popped into my bank recently they told me if you have a normal Barclays Bank account they will only give you £200 max interest free overdraft!

After I graduated they did reduce the interest free bit of my overdraft gradually over 2 years I think.

I would wait for them to contact you!
    • Missminimal
    • By Missminimal 10th Feb 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Missminimal
    • 10th Feb 17, 12:34 PM
    • 10th Feb 17, 12:34 PM
    Anyone else have any experience of keeping a graduate account long after graduating? I cannot find a definitive answer on how long you are able to keep this type of account?
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 2nd Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 2nd Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2nd Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    According to their website they should have upgraded your account from a Student to a Graduate (or Higher Education Account....an account designed for Graduates they say)

If you have an existing Student Additions Account with Barclays, your account will be automatically upgraded to the Higher Education Account following your graduation. We will contact you to let you know when this is happening.
    If they haven't contacted you I would keep it until they do if there's a fee free portion to the overdraft.
    Last edited by Dobbibill; 05-03-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,302Users online

Martin's Twitter