Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stormbreaker
    • By stormbreaker 17th Sep 11, 11:49 PM
    • 2,112Posts
    • 6,011Thanks
    stormbreaker
    Baby Pom Pom Blanket/ Rug
    • 17th Sep 11, 11:49 PM
    Baby Pom Pom Blanket/ Rug 17th Sep 11 at 11:49 PM
    Has any one made one of these? Does anyone have a pattern?

Similar to this http://zanthie.tumblr.com/post/759910340/pom-pom
Page 1
    • wendall
    • By wendall 18th Sep 11, 8:55 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    wendall
    • 18th Sep 11, 8:55 AM
    • 18th Sep 11, 8:55 AM
    I have not made one but they do look lovely, not sure if i could make all those pompoms.
    • mr_knight
    • By mr_knight 18th Sep 11, 10:32 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    mr_knight
    • 18th Sep 11, 10:32 AM
    • 18th Sep 11, 10:32 AM
    I want one of these. Look fab. I had a google and found this: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/how-to/how-to-make-a-pom-pom-rug-plus-a-recycled-pom-pom-maker-toolsmall-102978

I predict this could be a fab thing to make in a few weeks if Dr put me on bed rest, could make a small one for the nusrery. Hmmm lets have alook for some wool then
    • cherydee
    • By cherydee 18th Sep 11, 11:39 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    cherydee
    • 18th Sep 11, 11:39 AM
    • 18th Sep 11, 11:39 AM
    I thought you meant the rico pompon baby blankets.... I have made 9 of those.... but not a rug !
    • stormbreaker
    • By stormbreaker 18th Sep 11, 11:53 AM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 6,011 Thanks
    stormbreaker
    • 18th Sep 11, 11:53 AM
    • 18th Sep 11, 11:53 AM
    I thought you meant the rico pompon baby blankets.... I have made 9 of those....
    Originally posted by cherydee
    What are these?. Now thinking pom poms might not be such a good idea for babies? Loose wool might be a choking hazzard and how could they be washed. I just thought they looked good and easy done whilst watching TV! but did not think of the practicalities
    • cherydee
    • By cherydee 18th Sep 11, 1:32 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    cherydee
    • 18th Sep 11, 1:32 PM
    • 18th Sep 11, 1:32 PM
    Same as this ebay item number 270804347270 and you can get the wool in baby colours. A bit tricky at first to knit with but knits up fast and some people cannot get used to knitting with it hence that's why I've done 9. I have not got a pattern as such but I can tell you how many stitches I cast on etc.
  • nic1lou2
    • 18th Sep 11, 8:16 PM
    • 18th Sep 11, 8:16 PM
    I have knitted the pompom scarves (made loads last christmas!) and have a few babies due in the family in the near future so I would be very grateful please if you could let me now how many stitches etc for the baby blankets. Thanks very much
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"

Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!

Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!
    • sethsgran
    • By sethsgran 18th Sep 11, 8:45 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 4,743 Thanks
    sethsgran
    • 18th Sep 11, 8:45 PM
    • 18th Sep 11, 8:45 PM
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__pompom+makers_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=266080102381&clk _rvr_id=266080102381&crlp=6041589877_228459_228459 &UA=%3F*I%3F&GUID=7e0a48ab1320a0aa14611821ffadbe98 &agid=1851548797&tm_kw=pompom+makers&siteid=3&MT_I D=10&tt_encode=raw&keyword=pompom+makers&geo_id=21 &ff4=228459_228459 if you do decide to make the pom poms. I have recently made a cute baby blanket using the pom pom yarn. Similar to this one, cant find the link to pattern I bought. http://www.yarnmarket.com/projects/Baby_Blankets_Afghans-Baby_Snowball_Blanket-6777.html
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
    • cherydee
    • By cherydee 18th Sep 11, 9:16 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    cherydee
    • 18th Sep 11, 9:16 PM
    • 18th Sep 11, 9:16 PM
    I have knitted the pompom scarves (made loads last christmas!) and have a few babies due in the family in the near future so I would be very grateful please if you could let me now how many stitches etc for the baby blankets. Thanks very much
    Originally posted by nic1lou2
    This pattern uses only the Rico Pompon 200g wool (not the mini pompon type) it take 1½ balls and is £8.99 per ball so not cheap. (you can buy the cheaper type wool at Poundstretcher but the gap between the pompoms is different, so does not work)
    Using 4mm (No.8) needles cast on 40 stitches - so cast on row is not too tight - cast on 2 then 1, 2 then 1 between the pompoms and so on (this is just for cast on row) following rows knit 2 stitches between the pompoms. Knit until blanket measures 25 inches. Cast off row is the same as cast on row so not too tightly finished - cast off 2 then 1, 2 then 1 and so on.

To finish off ends..... i was told 2 ways .......either weave in the loose ends and stitch in place (I did not think this gave a nice finish) or the way I finish off ends which can be tricky and that is to trim the pompoms on the loose ends right down....more or less cutting them off and sew them in as you would with normal wool, seems to give a better finish. Hope this is easy to follow as not very good at explaining. Contact me if unsure.
    • stormbreaker
    • By stormbreaker 18th Sep 11, 10:00 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 6,011 Thanks
    stormbreaker
    Wow you learn something everyday. I have always used two pieces of cardboard cut out like doughnuts!
    • sethsgran
    • By sethsgran 18th Sep 11, 10:14 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 4,743 Thanks
    sethsgran
    I backed my blanket with flannel fabric then did a running stitch across the blanket, about every 4 inch I sewed a row. This fastened the blanket to the flannel. Then I added a contrast binding round the edge.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • nic1lou2
    Thanks so much Cherydee, am definately going to have a go at that - although I have never joined pompom wool but will definately give it a go..........can't wait to get started now!!

Thanks again
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you are up to........"

Dieting ........... is no piece of cake!!!!

Weight loss since January 2011 - 5st 5 lbs!!!!!
    • cherydee
    • By cherydee 19th Sep 11, 10:22 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    cherydee
    Thanks so much Cherydee, am definately going to have a go at that - although I have never joined pompom wool but will definately give it a go..........can't wait to get started now!!

Thanks again
    Originally posted by nic1lou2
    A little tip, when I'm about to start a new ball I trim the pompons off first before I join them and then if I accidently cut through the yarn when trimming the pompons off its no big deal .........but if I trim the pompons off when I've finished the blanket and cut through the yarn I am usually left with not much to sew in (if you get what I mean)

At the moment I have orders for 2 white and 2 blue baby blankets.
  • annie303
    Help!
    CHERYDEE - can you expand on your cast on instructions please - I don't understand the 'cast on 2 then 1'.
    Does 'cast on 2 then 1' just mean cast on 3?
    And then cast on 3 between the pompoms?
    I'm dying to have a go, but can't work out what you mean.
    Thanks in anticipation!
    Last edited by annie303; 27-07-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I missed off the contact name.
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 2nd Aug 15, 12:45 PM
    • 6,975 Posts
    • 17,155 Thanks
    Anglea
    For some reason I can't view the original photo on Post 1 as just showing up a page of ads so don't know what it looked like.

I've made a pp blanket on a knitting board in a similar way to this video

http://wonderfuldiy.com/wondeful-diy-easy-pom-pom-baby-blanket/

• yvette smith
    • By yvette smith 26th Jan 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    yvette smith
    made on a frame
    hi the best way to make these blankets isnt by making lots of pom poms they are made on a frame and woven. once they are woven you tie each square off then cut to make pom poms. i have made loads of these blankets for babies but be careful not to use them once the baby is old enough to pull at things as the strands do tend to come out. i have started using safety glue to strengthen them. once you have mastered doing one they get a lot easier though. If you just made it using lots of pom poms sewn together it would take a lot longer and be more difficult to join together
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

2,982Users online

Martin's Twitter