Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Megan
    • By Former MSE Megan 2nd Jul 15, 2:29 PM
    • 412Posts
    • 1,578Thanks
    Former MSE Megan
    Fake MSE sites
    • 2nd Jul 15, 2:29 PM
    Fake MSE sites 2nd Jul 15 at 2:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

In light of recent sites mirroring or closely copying our site and forum, we're setting up this thread for you to come and tell us about any more that pop up.

To do this can you please include...

Name/URL of the site:
    Any other info (Does it have nasty looking pop ups? etc):

We'll keep an eye on this thread and let the Tech team know about any fake sites.

Thank you!
Page 2
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 24th Aug 15, 4:55 PM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 3,690 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    I wonder do the fake MSE sites get fake spammers ??
    • Tarian
    • By Tarian 16th Sep 15, 10:34 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Tarian
    It doesn't help that the new MSE "skin" looks a bit "fake" - but that's a result of following the recent fad for re-designing websites to look minimalist.

Surely "Fisher Price" style "First Websites" with large, monotone panels/slabs and white space are easier to copy ?

Minimalism might please arty types, but lack of detail, colour, borders, rounded buttons, shading etc looks lazy and unsophisticated.

NatWest and RBS customers said that their website redesigns look "fake" - and one can see why.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 14th Nov 15, 11:21 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I think this site is fake. It's a poor imitation of the MSE forums that I used to know.
    Last edited by Nick_C; 14-11-2015 at 11:32 PM.
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 24th Nov 15, 3:19 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Warning: Money-Saver.net is NOT MoneySavingExpert.com – we don't take...
    Some have voiced concerns about an unknown transaction being taken by a firm they wrongly believe to be MSE...

Read the full story:

Warning: Money-Saver.net is NOT MoneySavingExpert.com – we don't take your cash

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 24-11-2015 at 4:23 PM.
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 24th Nov 15, 10:27 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    Some have voiced concerns about an unknown transaction being taken by a firm they wrongly believe to be MSE...
    Originally posted by MSE Helen
    How??
    The other website doesn't even look like MSE and doesn't even have the same name...
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2014 #192
    (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)

Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£1230.72 / £10k) (12.31%)
    • fermi
    • By fermi 9th Dec 15, 3:06 PM
    • 39,159 Posts
    • 46,984 Thanks
    fermi
    Not a clone, but at the very least scraping the forum's content for their own ends,

http://www.donotlink.com/hkjv
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 25th May 16, 1:47 PM
    • 5,340 Posts
    • 5,350 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    It's terrible when somebody copies your hard work and passes it off as their own.

I can't imagine that MSE or Martin would ever condone such activity.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • Tiggeronlytig
    • By Tiggeronlytig 10th Aug 16, 5:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tiggeronlytig
    Fake Link Being Advertised On Facebook
    Hi

Found this link on Facebook. Looks like you are endorsing this scheme? I think its a fake. Please advise.

Can't post the link because I'm new !!!!!!!!!!

Which links to this website

Magnum Options

Again I can't post the link because I'm new.

The links goes to an exact copy on the MSE forum endorsing the scheme.

Anyway looks like a money making scheme being endorsed by Martin and MSE forum. Thought you should know a get the advert removed from Facebook.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

8,288Users online

Martin's Twitter