PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Turning Plain Flour into Self Raising

I think its possible to use plain flour in a recipe where it calls for self raising, by adding (I think) baking powder. Can anyone tell me:

1. if you can actually do this and
2. how much baking powder to how much flour

I know my local shop is only 5 minutes away but I KNOW I will buy more than just self raising flour if I go round there :o
Enjoying an MSE OS life :D

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Click Here for a post and an answer. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks squeaky ... several different answers there so I'll have to experiment. Now how many tea loaves will I have to make to get it right ... I think we'll be having a taste test session here today ;)
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You're welcome :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • The measurements are on the back of the Supercook tub - to 8oz (225 g) of flour add 3 teasps for sponges, steamed and suet puds and 1 teasp for fruit cake, batters, biscuits and pastry. That will be level teaspoons and sift it well!
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Brilliant, thank you. Now off to soak fruit in tea all day so that I can bake a tea loaf this evening.

I'll write these instructions on a label to stick on my container of baking powder (we moved all our baking materials into square stackable containers to create more space in our cupboards, but I forgot to transfer the instructions for this one :o ). The new system works well for most things though.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There's an answer Here that I did before. I knew this question had been asked before - just needed extra coffee to switch my brain on. This post tells you the different amounts needed for different types of loaf / scones etc
  • demented_2
    demented_2 Posts: 455 Forumite
    I have been having a Senior moment and forgot to buy some SR flour this month. I don't want to go over my monthy budget of £80 for shopping and nip out to buy some. I have got plain flour and bicarb in the cupboard but have completly forgotten how to make SR flour. The other half has gone out so can't ask him. I want to make a cake today for us to have this evening, which needs SR flour, do any of you guy's or gals know the ingredients and proportions?
    Also the dog's just had an op on her foot and needs cheering up, I made a
    Liver cake for her last week and she absolutely loved it. The Vet said that i should make another one for her for a treat, That recipe also requires SR flour.
    Thanks Demented.
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi demented,

This link should tell you all you need to know. I hope the dog is feeling better.

Pink
  • demented_2
    demented_2 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Wow that was quick. Thanks Pink-winged I shall now go and make some. The dog is still groggy but has managed to go out for a bit of fresh air. The Liver cake will cheer her up and the Fruit cake will cheer the OH up after hearing what the vet bill was. LOL.

:T :T
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    hi demented :)

if you've only got bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) you'll need some cream of tartar* as well to make self-raising flour
    more info HERE

Substitution for 1 teaspoon commercial baking powder: 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar plus 1/4 teaspoon of cornflour

*or you can use buttermilk, yogurt or soured cream/milk as your liquid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport