Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Comments

• haz25a
    haz25a Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,

I phoned the Energy Savings Trust (Scotland) today and the woman was very helpful. She took all my details and said firstly my entitlement to benefits would be checked with the DWP and then my application would be referred to my chosen energy company, I chose Scottish Power.

She did say there was a long waiting list and it could be six or seven weeks before I hear anything. She also said that I shouldn't be asked to contribute towards any costs.

I will keep you updated and look forward to hearing other people's updates.

Thanks Martin Lewis!:)
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    I filled out the Energy Savings Trust (Scotland) online enquiry page Thurs 4th July. Friday 5th I had a phonecall from Home Energy Scotland via them followed up same day by email. By last Monday 8th I had a letter to say my details were being checked with DWP to see that I qualified and by Friday I had a letter to say DWP had confirmed I qualified and it was now being forwarded to Scottish Gas to arrange the survey. So far I cannot fault them. Now we just wait to see how long it takes Scottish Gas.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • haz25a
    I filled out the Energy Savings Trust (Scotland) online enquiry page Thurs 4th July. Friday 5th I had a phonecall from Home Energy Scotland via them followed up same day by email. By last Monday 8th I had a letter to say my details were being checked with DWP to see that I qualified and by Friday I had a letter to say DWP had confirmed I qualified and it was now being forwarded to Scottish Gas to arrange the survey. So far I cannot fault them. Now we just wait to see how long it takes Scottish Gas.

I was going to choose Scottish Gas as they installed and have always maintained my existing central heating system. I chose Scottish Power as they are currently my energy providers but I still have a homecare contract with Scottish Gas for my central heating. Wondering if I should of just gone with Scottish Gas now?:undecided
  • Scottishmummy
    haz25a wrote: »
    I was going to choose Scottish Gas as they installed and have always maintained my existing central heating system. I chose Scottish Power as they are currently my energy providers but I still have a homecare contract with Scottish Gas for my central heating. Wondering if I should of just gone with Scottish Gas now?:undecided

We have the homecare with SG too and they provide our energy however we have come to the end of our deal but I don't want to switch until we have this sorted. I have done comparisons and we can get cheaper elsewhere but only about £80. For the sake of a new boiler I'm prepared to pay that little bit extra for a wee while.
  • haz25a
    We have the homecare with SG too and they provide our energy however we have come to the end of our deal but I don't want to switch until we have this sorted. I have done comparisons and we can get cheaper elsewhere but only about £80. For the sake of a new boiler I'm prepared to pay that little bit extra for a wee while.

I think I might phone the Energy Trust back tomorrow and change it to Scottish Gas cos it won't have been referred to Scottish Power yet I don't think. :undecided
  • Many Energy Companies are "Jumping the Gun" by not waiting for a qualifying referral issued by the Energy Saving Trust.

I have spoken to the EST who agree in most cases this is undermining their efforts to refer clients who have already been acknowledged by the Department of Work & Pensions as qualifying for example the Free Boiler. They have even warned against divulging sensitive personal information to Energy Company agents calling at your property.

Energy Companies themselves are bypassing this stage and causing confusion by declining help such as Free Boilers using their own criteria purely on a commercial basis , IE they are picking and choosing clients to their own ends.

I have had several examples of Energy Companies declining valid applications without providing any explanation, when pressed they avoid the question avidly.

Until further guidelines are published please be vigilant.

Tony M
    Manchester
  • Scottishmummy
    haz25a wrote: »
    I think I might phone the Energy Trust back tomorrow and change it to Scottish Gas cos it won't have been referred to Scottish Power yet I don't think. :undecided

Have they confirmed you qualify via the DWP yet? If they have you might be surprised how quickly they refer. SG called yesterday but I was out. Tried again this morning so I now have an appointment for the survey to be done next week.:D So far, from first contact with the Energy Saving Trust that has been less than two weeks. Really hope the rest of it goes as quickly.
  • haz25a
    edited 17 July 2013 at 1:35PM
    Have they confirmed you qualify via the DWP yet? If they have you might be surprised how quickly they refer. SG called yesterday but I was out. Tried again this morning so I now have an appointment for the survey to be done next week.:D So far, from first contact with the Energy Saving Trust that has been less than two weeks. Really hope the rest of it goes as quickly.

I phoned them back yesterday and got it changed to Scottish Gas. They were really helpful and friendly. Thanks for the update and I shall keep posting updates too.
  • haz25a
    They did say there was a waiting list of about six weeks though.
  • GDADEA
    GDADEA Posts: 18 Forumite
    Terry98 wrote: »
    From the article it seems that only an Energy Company can provide the free boilers.

There are TV adverts with Johnny Ball quoting Affordable Warmth and Help Link offering similar deals. Do they get their funding from the Energy Companies as well?

Hello, It is not just the energy companies who can replace boilers, I am an Energy Assessor working for a local gas installer, we have fitted lots of boilers for free under ECO and there is no 6-8 week turnaround as others have said. Last week I was doing the benefit and energy efficiency check on Monday and the customer had their new boiler fitted Thursday of the same week. :j As long as you have proof of living in a privately rented or owned property (mortgage statement or tenancy agreement) and proof of eligible benefit (Tax Credit/Working Tax Credit/Pension Credit, Etc award notices) there is no reason to get tied up in knots to get the boiler replaced. Hope this helps.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback