Waiting for a proposal - how did you stay sane?!

jtr2803
jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
edited 8 January 2012 at 3:10PM in Weddings & anniversaries
OK, don't all laugh but I would love (read as I am desperate for) my OH to propose :rotfl:, thought I would share my light hearted desperations with others as hopefully someone out there can sympathise!

We have been together 3 years this month and have lived together pretty much the whole time so we know each other very well now, due to the way in which we got together (long story) I, and a number of my closest friends, thought that a proposal would be fairly swift but it seems that isn't to be the case! Oh I've hinted pretty outrageously at times :A, we haven't long got back from 2 weeks in the Maldives and I really thought he was going to do it there but it wasn't to be....unfortunately he also quite directly told me halfway through the holiday he wasn't going to either....he has a fantastic way with words sometimes *rolleyes*. Other than that we have a fantastic relationship and he is my very best friend, he is affectionate, loving, he cooks for me, calls me at work to sing Stevie Wonders 'I just called to say I love you', he delivers my favourite cake to work when I am having a bad day and he often brings me home flowers :o. Is there any surprise I want to marry him so much? :D

So.....after all that waffle....did anyone else have an agonising wait before their proposal? Did anyone else just tell them it was about time they did it? How did you stay sane during the wait? I have a couple of friends who are getting married soon and they all got with their partners after us so I am doing the 'when is it my turn?' thing. Argh, I am so impatient!

:)

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
Spero Meliora
Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:

Comments

• Scotsbride
    Scotsbride Posts: 960 Forumite
    I prosed to my OH. The thing is it is incredibly nerve racking you are going to remember it for the rest of your life. he probably just wants everything to be prefect. after talking to my Oh that's what he said.
    :kisses3: Married 29th September 2012:love:
  • zoeisababe
    zoeisababe Posts: 319 Forumite
    Ha ha!!

This is going to sound even wierder...

Aron hasn't proposed...nor have I.

We are getting married December 2012. We have been together 13 years, I am 28 and he is 32, and we have 2 daughters and tbh I was getting sick of waiting.....so I joked a few times saying I'm gonna book it for 12.12.12....or.....I will accept th first drunken marriage proposal on a night out...and he still said "I don't want to get married"

caused a lot of arguments...but then it hit me... JUST BUY AND BOOK THINGS AND HE CAN'T SAY NO....So I did...the first purchase was our daughters dresses (2 sizes up), then I started buying more and more....we have viewed 2 venues together and been to a wedding fair...and tbh..I think he just needed a kick in the right direction.

And he has decided we are going ring shopping once venue is booked (hopefully this sunday!)

we have also been to Meeru island in the maldives twice, and I thought he would do it there....NOPE! lol
    :jMarried on 12.12.12 to the best man alive! - FACT!:j
  • mazy_m
    mazy_m Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ha ha i've been with my OH 5 years this year and we've lived together for pretty much all of it.... I know if I was waiting for him to propose i'd wait forever as I know he never will lol!!
    A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We'd been together 5 and a half years before OH proposed. I kept dropping hints but he said he didn't want to get married again - we're both divorced. He said hell would have to freeze over before he proposed. When he did pop the question it was on top of a snow covered mountain in switzerland where he'd taken me for a surprise birthday trip. He knows I don't like heights or being cold so said it must be hell for me...and it was all frozen!! It was actually a total surprise - I had thought he might propose that evening as I knew he'd booked a meal at a very fancy restaurant, so him doing it during that day totally took me by surprise. If he hadn't taken me on holiday I really wouldnt have expected a proposal, much as I'd have liked one, but because I started to think he might (egged on by friends who also thought the same) I'd have been well gutted if he hadn't!
  • nykied
    nykied Posts: 951 Forumite
    I got engaged this year and I'd been with my OH for almost 6 and a half years. He's been engaged before (as have I) and occasionally I'd have a drunken night out and say he didn't love me enough to marry me. He said he was waiting until we moved in together. We moved in together in August 2009 and I patiently waited until Christmas of that year. Then I waited until New Year 2010. Then Valentine's Day. Then my birthday (March 3rd). Then Christmas. Then New Year 2011. Then Valentine's Day. Then my birthday. I was upset that night as he obviously wasn't going to bother.

Then he proposed the day after my birthday. Who on earth proposes the day AFTER someone's birthday? :eek::rotfl:
  • alipops1986
    alipops1986 Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 June 2011 at 8:26PM
    Hello All,

I can sympathize, although you have waited much longer than me OP.

Myself and my beloved have been together 15 months and things honestly couldn't be better. We spend alot of time together in general and even work in the same building! I've never met anyone so similar to me and someone who i enjoy being with so much. Recently, about 2 months ago, we moved in together which has made things even more brilliant.

We have agreed to get married 'one day'. I don't see the point hanging around really, if we know we want to, we may as well begin plans now - i hate the number 13 so really wouldn't want to get married in that year so that leaves next yr or 2014!! Therefore, I am reduced to wait around...

The main issue is my parents have emigrated to literally otherside of the world a few mnths ago, so getting in contact to ask permission is a little tricky, altho we're flying out to see them in less than 2 month so who knows? I've seen a ring that i love massively, OH said we could get it and he'd keep it until he asks, but i'm not sure this is a good idea - perhaps make me more impatient?

He's definately worth biding my time for though!!

Alipops xx
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Thank you all for your replies, it is nice to know I am not alone!

Zoe we went to the new sister Island of Meeru but the restaurants and villas are all the same! I am so glad I didn't see anyone else propose or I think I may have cried :rotfl:

I read through a thread on here the other day, 20 questions I think it was called and was amazed at the number of people who will have been toegther for 4 years or less on their wedding day, it does make me worry OH will never do it :(. In April out of the blue he told me he did want to marry me but then on holiday he said something which makes me think the opposite so I am back to having no idea if it is on the agenda and I don't want to bring it up for fear of 'nagging'! I am 29 and he is 32 so we aren't teenagers anymore :rotfl:.

In my little bonce I have a deadline, if you can call it that, if he hasn't done it of his own accord by then I think we may need to seriously talk about it as I think it may drive me totally insane!

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • MrsDrink
    MrsDrink Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2011 at 8:42PM
    We met in 1999, moved in together 2003 (4 years later), I decided I wanted to be MrsD in 2005 (6 years of knowing each other)... In 2010 he finally agreed (just under being together for 11 years). So really I had a wait of 5 years. There was no proposal though - just 5 years of debating the pros and cons of marriage, with me asking if he wanted to marry me lol.

*edit*
    Oh and I definitely didn't stay sane throughout those 5 years... but it was worth it in the end when he finally told me he would like me to share his name. Awww!
  • ab7167
    ab7167 Posts: 680 Forumite
    I'm getting married 19th August 2011, we've been together since 19th December 2000. I just got on with it and had the children while waiting for the proposal, they are now 3.5 and 15 months. Probably not everyone's idea of the 'right' way to do things....

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    why not you propose hun, if you really want it, i don't think these days you have to wait for him.

As for me, i was very lucky, met hubby in the may 01, instant attraction, by the july we had joint bank account and started to look for a home together, my 20th birthday in the sep he asked me to marry him, and the sale of the flat went through and we moved in together the nov that yr and started planning our wedding. got married july 02. MY hubby is very much when he wants something he wants it there and then and will get it,lol.

My cousin on other hand was desperate to get married. ( same age as me 30 this yr) but her boyfriend jsut didn't seem to register. she didn't want to ask him, or to keep dropping hint's. she wanted a family but wanted to wait until they been married for a few yrs first. he's a fab guy but he just didn't seem to register how much she wanted to get married. then xmas 09 out of no where while walking the dogs over some beautiful mountains he pulled out a ring and asked her. i think for her it was in the end well worth the wait. they got married 4 months later and had an amazing wedding. ( i can't remember how long they have been together but it has been a while b4 they got married)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure