Clydesdale Bank Maestro Debt Card 19 digits

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know why Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank issue Maestro debit cards with 19 digits?

I had problems paying a Virgin C/Card online tonight using the 19 digit card. Virgin say they cannot process cards with 19 digits on their website???

Comments

• Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kev1980 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know why Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank issue Maestro debit cards with 19 digits?

I had problems paying a Virgin C/Card online tonight using the 19 digit card. Virgin say they cannot process cards with 19 digits on their website???

I can't answer your question:eek: But I too have wondered that as well. Some companies can't process 19 digits, I wanted to pay a deposit on mine for a B&B booking and they said the machine couldn't process it!
    someone might let us know:p
  • ray123
    ray123 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    They should be able to input the details manually without any problems. Eg. Amex is 15 digits, visa/mast 16 digits, maes 19 digits - where I work, all these cards are accepted and put through manually!
    Perhaps the issued is that they dont accept maestro cards?
  • draings
    Options
    Had an issue in paying car insurance this morning using Clydesdale Bank 19 digit Maestro Debit card. Steven from the Glasgow service centre advised after trying to enter my card twice onto his system, my card number was too long. He also confirmed he discussed this issue with his supervisor who also again confirmed the card number was too long. I advised I used the card daily to pay for goods and services without any problems. He said the ESURE system could only use cards with a maximum of 16 digits, and he further advised that I discuss the issue with my Bank (which I did), or pay with a credit card, for which I refused.

I contacted Clydesdale Bank service centre and their head office in Glasgow, they insisted the vender should accept the 19 digit card, albeit the bank was in the process of changing to the 16 digit card system. However they advsied if I wished to upgade my current card (which incidently works fine with all other venders such as TESCO, Morrisons, Shell ASDA, all ATMs etc) to the 16 digit veriety, they would have to stop my card today, to allow them to order the new 16 digit card that would take approximately 7 days to arrive. I asked how I would carrying my banking busines, and was advised that I would have to get myself to a branch to carry out all my bank business in the intervening 7 day period. I protested and a complaint was recorded at their head office. The branch subsequently called me back and offered as a favour to me (their all heart) on this occassion, they would not stop my existing card until the new card was recieved - BIG FAVOUR!! this is a customer expectation to overcome a problem.

Getting back to ESURE payment issue (one and a half hours later), I called ESURE again spoke with and advised the agent that the Clydesdale bank insisted there was nothing wrong with the 19 digit debit card banking system. The ESURE agent took my bank details again and advised the transaction worked, they appologised for the inconveinience caused and also said that it appears they have a training issue. I fully believe the ESURE agents are told not to accept a customers 19 digit Maestro debit cards and to force these customers down the credit card route at all costs unless the customer creates a fuss/complaint.

Its immoral and wrong for venders to treat customers in this way. Banks are no better, we've been with this bank for nearly 40 years and the service now supplied is defitately going down the pan. It is definately the best route (if you have the time) to persevere.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    draings wrote:
    I fully believe the ESURE agents are told not to accept a customers 19 digit Maestro debit cards and to force these customers down the credit card route at all costs unless the customer creates a fuss/complaint.

Why would they do this? My understanding of card processing (from working within a bank rather than a card processing provider) is that debit cards are a (small) flat rate charge but credit cards are a percentage of the transaction (I forget how much exactly, ~3% springs to mind.). Unless the transaction is very small it would be more costly to take a credit card.

The simplest explanation is that 19 digit Maestro cards are/were relatively rare and many companies are just not set up to process them. Incompetence? Possibly. But some kind of Esure conspiracy? Almost certainly not.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a bit of moot point - Clydesdale/Yorkshire are one of the last banks to issue Maestro and now only issue 16 digit card numbers.

If your having problems, call them up and they will send you either a 16 digit Maestro or a 16 digit Debit Mastercard to replace your card.
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    Why would they do this?
    My brokers charge extra for credit card payments.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure