First Direct cutting ISA rate again

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find it, so I thought I'd pass it on.

F
rom 12th January 2016, First Direct is cutting the interest rate on its ISA to 1.29% for all balances, a drop of 0.2% for those currently on the highest rate.

It's on their website, but I found out when they wrote to me today and included a sheet entitled "Savings... our rates", upon which it outlined the cut. Also included was a booklet entitled "A good place to save", which proudly proclaimed that their Cash ISA offers "variable interest rates...."

Back to the mattress :rotfl:
If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)

Comments

• colin79666
    colin79666 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Covered here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=401374&page=205#4095

That said it probably deserves its own thread :)

I was lucky and managed to transfer out into another account before the issue closed so at least I can sit back for a year unless rates shoot up. Probably isn't long before FD cut their regular saver as well, they definitely seem to have decided to go after a different customer profile now. I keep getting secure messages about credit cards and loads yet if they actually bothered to look at my accounts they'd see I'd be far more interested in a decent savings rate!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Back to the mattress :rotfl:[/SIZE]

Or get 5%/4%/3% with current accounts.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Or get 5%/4%/3% with current accounts.

If we have £120K which current accounts offer this please?
    Is that gross?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    lisyloo wrote: »
    If we have £120K which current accounts offer this please?
    Is that gross?

I can't remember the exact figures, but with sole and joint accounts, you can put that sort of sum in multiple current accounts @ 5% 4% & 3%. Yes - those figures are gross.

For starters:

TSB Classic Plus & Nationwide FlexDirect 5%
    Club Lloyds 4%
    BoS Vantage, Tesco, Santander 3%

There are also several regular savers @ 6%, 5% & 4%, all linked to current accounts.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    See http://bankaccountsavings.co.uk for current accounts

Out of the current accounts offering interest, TSB/Lloyds also offer high interest saving accounts along with it.

Other regular saving accounts offering 4-6% are HSBC, M&S & FirstDirect
  • lisyloo
    Sorry I can't see how you'd get anywhere near £120k, maybe £60k for a couple to get 2.4% after tax.
    Can anyone quickly list out how you get a higher figure? The Mae article says £30k, so I'm doubling that to £60k for a couple.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Sorry I can't see how you'd get anywhere near £120k, maybe £60k for a couple to get 2.4% after tax.
    Can anyone quickly list out how you get a higher figure? The Mae article says £30k, so I'm doubling that to £60k for a couple.
    For a couple it's £60k in Santander 123 alone, then all the other options too.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • lisyloo
    Yes, I'm aware there are other options with tiny allowances, just can't see how to get to £120k.
    Will let you know what I can get to, but if anyone does know then please share.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's more than £120K, as both can have £50.5K in sole accounts. Then add all the joint accounts, starting with £20K in a 123 alone. Plus joint accounts at Lloyds, TSB, and Nationwide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure