Changing habits, wanting freedom

Comments

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That is BRILLIANT. Well done.
    And you obviously were not horrendous or they would not have passed you. Happy dance in your honour.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£325.00 (65%)     INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£060.00 (13%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Dolphin1
    Dolphin1 Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well done on passing your driving test!!! :j
  • What wonderful news!!! Congratulations!!

:j:beer::j:beer::j
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Huge congratulations!
    Better is good enough.
  • Congratulations on passing your test and getting OH on board!
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Congratulations!!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    WOOHOO!!!!

Well done you!!!

Celebrations all round :)
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi all and thanks for all the lovely messages!!
    Managed to get insured on OH’s car for next two months (until car insurance is due for renewal) Obviously wanted to take it out straight away ignoring the fact it was rush hour and headed out to my mums. What I didn’t know setting off is driving his petrol car is VERY different to the lovely easy diesel I learnt in….. was plenty of reving and stalling! What I also didn’t know is there is a cd stuck in the player which makes a horrendous noise. Managed to negotiate all the lights and then had to turn up a very steep hill with traffic going both ways and cars lining each side. I had to keep pulling in to let another car come down and this is the point I stalled…. Tried to restart the car which meant the cd went off screeching at me… I panicked assuming the handbrake was broken or the clutch and started to slip back towards the car behind me. As this car needs a lot more gas to set off than the one I learnt in I was having a massive panic. Tried to tell the guys behind me to just go round and leave me to calm down and one of them got out of the car and came to my door to ask if I was okay. Explained it was first time out on my own in this car after test and he told me to just take as much time as I needed. Managed to set off and get to the top and then to my mums where I was a nervous wreck but very grateful for those guys being so kind in car behind! Next day I practiced lots with the clutch on the local streets to try the difference and then on sat OH drove to his work and I drove back and then back again to collect him… its out the in the countryside with lots of fast roads and about half hour drive but I survived! (did realise why everyone flashed me on the way to collect him as had accidentally knocked the headlights to full beam but ah well)
    So if you weren’t scared of me on the roads you probably are now haha!
    Doing well with the pennies this month seem to have a bit of a rhythm and my spreadsheet is working :) But now I have a dilemma and need advice. So we own a little car which is perfectly fine and we don’t owe anything on but its not really up to the drive OH has to do to work and with the dogs and fact our holidays are usually camping and we have the two dogs. So we had talked about getting another bigger car that fingers crossed can keep for a very long time. Spoke to my dad and since my credit rating is good would get a very low interest loan. I know I could manage without a car but just having it that one Saturday made me realise how isolated I feel at weekends when OH at work and im just stuck up at the house.
    So thinking I keep little car and we look at spending about 5,000 on a new bigger car for OH as main family vehicle.
    This would be after mortgage is sorted again in april (probably adding OH to it and going for 5 year fixed rate)
    Fingers crossed debt will be bit lower by then anyway but considering interest rates go lower the more you borrow am I daft in think of borrowing to cover the car and credit cards and looking at taking it out over a shorter time rather than trying to pay all credit card this year and keep up with a loan payment??
    I’m confused as to what is best to do, I wonder if put it all on a loan payment if then would be able to set aside savings over this year as payment would be lower than what we are throwing against debts?
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello jvr

Sooooo much has happened since I last posted, though have popped in to read on the sidelines occasionally;)
    Congratulations on passing your driving test!
    Sorry you didn't get the job :(
    Amazing - all the help you/your mum are giving in supporting someone who clearly needs support. :T

Car loan - can't advise really, from the position we got ourselves into after several rounds of consolidating and then a crash in income :( but I know that we couldn't manage without 2 reliable cars. If the maths makes sense and you were strict with no further addition to debt (and if it reduces term) then I'd say yes it's possible? BUT be careful in making decision? Just my thoughts.

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Congratulations on your test and good to see you getting out on the roads. It's those miles on your own that will give you the confidence and make it second nature.
    Hope your mum is getting on ok with the boy and getting some support herself when she is being so amazing and helping him.
    No advice on the car I'm afraid, have been car free for years (living in city) though do remember that cabin fever feeling when had no car in the middle of the country. See how your sums stack up and do what works best for you. Don't forget all the running expenses etc not just the cost of the loan, if you go down that route.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure