Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Options

Comments

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello AC. I've been a bit MIA again but have been thinking about you all. I've caught up now too so congratulations on staying with it. You'll soon be off into your dream life. It occurred to me too how forward thinking you've been with having a property to sell. So many friends of mine kept remortgaging during the good times who basically have no equity now. That bubble burst quite loudly.

I've also been thinking that there are some cheaper b&bs that have the pool and sauna (as suggested earlier) but also have a gym. You really could have a little sabbatical before your 6 month one to really get your life on the path you want it to be. If you have to be out of your room at certain times of the day then incorporate that into your gym, pool and sauna time?

Just a suggestion. It's great to see things picking up pace now.

Regarding nationwide, I really have no faith there, but I hope you get to speak to an empathetic manager if you do persue it.

I actually feel a little sad that you won't be mentioning places around London that I'm close to, but I know it's all for the good for you.

MTx
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 November 2016 at 11:37PM
    Options
    Hellooo muffin :)Thanks for your kind words :)
    Hope you are well. While watching the footie this evening, I emptied a crate full of papers/ bank statements/ junk etc. Ripping things up etc.
    I saw 2 of my previous remortgages in that box. One from Halifax , and one from skip ton. I actually Remember the person I saw at the Halifax , and he was literally sighing at my application. He knew by my salary/ status that the loan shouldn't be given . If I was somebody else , I would've called him miserable . In fact , he was ahead of the game. TBH , I should've asked for help long ago. If I could've avoided remortgaging at all, I wouldn't be in the mess I've got myself in. Then again, I've always been a plodder on lowish wages, so I guess something had to give.:)
    I'm gonna empty another crate of rubbish tomorrow, hoping to have a lot of stuff done by the weekend.

What is it with me and timing? First of all, selling my house pre-brexit .
    Then , having to work all week next week solo, combining early and late shifts. Job is easy, but as you all are aware I hate the late shift getting home. I could've done with the week off TBH , to finalise everything in comfort.
    I got a call from an estate agent in parkstone ( letting side). I was trying to avoid my colleague hearing what's going on. This meant, I pretended to have a bad signal. I moved out of the 'office', and guess what- lady couldn't hear me and the signal died. I hate that building.

So, if all goes well, in 3 days the notice goes in. Then serenity and panic combined:)
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect we have very similar attitudes to being less than 100% fit. A mixture of pride, stubbornness and stroppiness. Otherwise you would be having at least a few days off sick.

I like the combination of serenity and panic, but can't make a neat word out of the two.

I shall try again when I'm at the dentist tomorrow. Finally stood my ground and refused to go away without an appt. What a waste of energy. Rude words to everyone wearing the cloak of stupidity.
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Get a more solid plan in place first !

Once you have go for it why not !
    Your never too old to travel and experience the world. Go for it life is so short, go out and enjoy it.

Good luck I say make a plan and go for it !!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    wendym wrote: »
    I suspect we have very similar attitudes to being less than 100% fit. A mixture of pride, stubbornness and stroppiness. Otherwise you would be having at least a few days off sick.

I like the combination of serenity and panic, but can't make a neat word out of the two.

I shall try again when I'm at the dentist tomorrow. Finally stood my ground and refused to go away without an appt. What a waste of energy. Rude words to everyone wearing the cloak of stupidity.

Good luck at the dentist today Wendy .
    Very rare for me to take time off, until I got mg.
    That's what really annoyed me about getting penalised for being sick.
    They know where they can stick their final warning ,come Friday if exchange goes through .:)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Aced2016 wrote: »
    Get a more solid plan in place first !

Once you have go for it why not !
    Your never too old to travel and experience the world. Go for it life is so short, go out and enjoy it.

Good luck I say make a plan and go for it !!

Thanks ace. You've come a little late to the thread. Decisions have been made :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 November 2016 at 11:09AM
    Options
    "Seranic" ?? :rotfl:

AC. I would say your timing is pretty good. When all debts and expenses are cleared and the dust settles you will have well over £200k.

You definitely bought at the right time. Today you wouldn't stand a chance.

I did something similar way back in the 70s.

I was earning peanuts. Bought a wreck. On paper it look like financial suicide. Within months interest rates rocketed. I was in dire straits. I could hardly afford to eat never mind buy the necessary building materials, let alone pay contractors. I borrowed DIY books from the library and rolled up my sleeves. At one point the downstairs was uninhabitable. I lived for three months in the middle of a Derbyshire winter in my bedroom with a just an oil filled radiator, an electric blanket, kettle, toaster and camping gas stove.

I lived to tell the tale. It took me 3 years to get it done. When it was finished I put it on the market and sold in 4 days, for more than double what I'd paid for it.

So when people told me how lucky I was I just smiled and said nothing. I wonder how many would have done what I was prepared to do, selling my car, walking miles to work, no holidays, very few outings, no new clothes......

Same with you AC. You've had a tough ride with your health, money issues and your job but it will all be worth it. Yes the last few months have been tricky but in a few months time it will all be behind you.

You will have folks telling you how lucky you are to be able to do "just up,sticks and retire so early". Some will be envious, some might make snidey comments, little realising what it took to get you there. They wont realise the sacrifices you had to make, the hard times you went through.

Like me, just bite your tongue and smile. Let them get on with it whilst you get on with your new exciting life.

After that first house I bought a cute cottage in the most fashionable and expensive part of the city. I was 28. People made all sorts of comments, wanting to know how I could possibly afford it. I gave up trying to explain. They didn't want to know about the blood sweat tears and hardship it took. They wanted an easy ride. They preferred going out, spending their money on fancy holidays, flash cars etc.

Does this sound familiar.........:rotfl:

One particular nasty person insinuated that the only way I could have afforded it is if I was "on the game".......

Hey ho. I learned to just smile sweetly and ignore the sneers. When they simply wouldn't shut up I would just tell them I was a "trust fund babe" or that I was loaded. I realised that it was envy talking but they weren't prepared to make the sacrifices and work the way I did.

It takes courage and hard work to make our dreams come true. I dreamt of a lovely house in my favourite part of the city. You dream of an easier and more interesting life.

I made my dream come true and so will you.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Thanks ace. You've come a little late to the thread. Decisions have been made :)

Strange post from a newbie I thought, especially when you look at her/his other posts. Takes all sorts I guess.

Another day nearer AC, hope the sun is shining down south as it is here in Co. Durham, still chilly though at 8C.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Howdy LL / Harz:)
    Thanks again for great encouragement . That's the trouble LL ..jealousy .
    Yourself and I ( and everyone here on this thread ) , are not jealous people
    Trouble is , so many are.
    I probably mentioned a while back , that I am the probably the poorest of my friends .Definitely salary wise . Most of those have families ,and 1 has his own business ( or is it 2 businesses?,) ).
    I wish them all well . Always have time for decent people .
    When i eventually settle down , I will try to keep the equity a secret

I love this weather ,btw :)
    Hopefully 2 days to go ..
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Very cold here too, slight frost this morning. Nice and sunny now though, but no heat in the sun. Still it's nice to see blue skies.

The trees have been glorious here but I noticed they are finally starting to shed their leaves. Will have to get the gutters cleared soon.

Off to the hairdressers to get glammed up. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport