We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

where to buy trees from...

Options
2»

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've used Tree2mydoor before and have been happy with their pricing/service/delivery. Just checked and they have both crab apple trees and weeping cherry trees. :)

As this is MSE and it's bare root season, I feel bound to point out that better value is available elsewhere, if buying now.

A young, un-named crab apple should be under £3 if bare root.

Similarly, an un-named cherry would be about the same price (postage extra)
    http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Hedging__Trees__Shrubs___Conifers_C_D_4.html

In the garden, rather than in orchards and small woodland, or hedges, it's probably worth spending more on named varieties of both. In that case, this page gives an idea of the sort of price to expect:

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Ornamental_Trees_12.html

It's best not to buy larger trees. Four or five feet is good. Small ones settle-in more easily and soon get going. All need a little extra watering in their first summer, if it's dry. I didn't water a plum I planted last spring and I've paid the price....:(
  • Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't recommend Chris Bowers.
    We have planted an orchard and woodland, and everything we bought from Bowers was wrong.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, that link from tree2mydoor looks very expensive! I recall getting 6ft bare root trees for the same price.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Arthog wrote: »
    I can't recommend Chris Bowers.
    We have planted an orchard and woodland, and everything we bought from Bowers was wrong.
    To be fair to CB they do have some kind of guarantee and ask people to contact if things aren't right. What was their response?

For new internet orders, I Google the address companies give and check out their physical presence. In the case of Chris Bowers, their address goes to somewhere not large enough to hold their stocks, and there's no way to visit the production facility, wherever it is.

I don't like that. I'd much rather deal with a company that's accessible physically, even if I'm not intending to visit.
  • Scilly
    Scilly Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you got what you wanted eventually!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure