CC question re. Capital 1 APR

Hi there.

I currently have a Capital 1 credit card with a 0% APR, £1500 limit. I've maxed out the limit (I know) and am paying back the minumum every month. However, my 0% APR introductory rate is ending, going up to a 30% APR. Can you tell me what my minimum monthly fee will be now, if I keep my spending the same (i.e. don't repay any of the £1500)?

Also, I see 30% APR is very bad, which would be the best credit card to get, in order to bank transfer the £1500 debt to Capital 1, in order the repay the new card at a more reasonable level?

I know this is pretty irresponsible of me, I will work towards paying it off in the future. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Your minimum payment would depend on the T&Cs with Cap 1 - some cards are 1% plus interest & charges, others are different.

To keep spending would be foolish - if you use a CC, only put spending on it you would have done anyway with your debit card and then pay off in full.

There isn't a best card as such, any balance transfer card offering 0% promo offer would suit.

Have a look at the eligibility checker to see the likelihood of being accepted. (it is only a guide and never guaranteed)
    https://creditcards.moneysavingexpert.com/?balance-transfer&_ga=2.819185.1370069363.1515183781-1037682649.1480869123

There is normally a BT fee to do a BT though so make sure that isn't going to be more than the interest you would pay before it's cleared otherwise it is pointless moving it.

Don't beat yourself up about being irresponsible, everyone does things they reconsider in hindsight. How you deal with it going forward is more important and will define you/your relationship with money & finances.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Thanks for the advice :)
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I've worked out the minimum to be around £48 a month, if the APR is 30% the simple rate is 2.2% per month plus 1%.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Why did you choose a Capital One card in the first place? Do you realise that they are subprime lenders?

Assuming that you have a poor credit history and Cap One were the only card providers willing to give you a card, then your chance of getting a further 0% balance transfer card elsewhere are slim to none. In which case, you had better look to pay off as much as you can until you clear the debt otherwise you'll find yourself clearing the minimum payment each month and paying a tiny amount off your debt due to the high APR.

As in post #2, enter your details into the eligibility checker to see what the results say.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you can't get a balance transfer card you need to be paying more than the minimum or this will take you several years to clear.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Why did you choose a Capital One card in the first place? Do you realise that they are subprime lenders?

Assuming that you have a poor credit history and Cap One were the only card providers willing to give you a card, then your chance of getting a further 0% balance transfer card elsewhere are slim to none. In which case, you had better look to pay off as much as you can until you clear the debt otherwise you'll find yourself clearing the minimum payment each month and paying a tiny amount off your debt due to the high APR.

As in post #2, enter your details into the eligibility checker to see what the results say.

maybe it was the only card with a 0% term that they could get and their plans to pay it back in full have failed for whatever reason.

what has being a subprime lender got to do with availing yourself of a 0% interest term?
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 January 2018 at 4:07PM

Wow, I was completely unaware of this. I had a Capital One cashback card a few years ago, good interest rate, high cashback and a more than decent credit limit.

Had you not informed me of this I would have spent the rest of my life in ignorance that I had a "sub prime" credit card on my file! :o
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Really? I wonder if they know that I have a cashback card of theirs with an £18K limit.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    vacheron wrote: »
    Wow, I was completely unaware of this. I had a Capital One cashback card a few years ago, good interest rate, high cashback and a more than decent credit limit.

Had you not informed me of this I would have spent the rest of my life in ignorance that I had a "sub prime" credit card on my file! :o

I think Capital One lost its way here in the UK a few years ago.

I remember when they offered about half a dozen cards with a mix of features: low APR, cashback, balance transfers and credit building.

Now they only offer two cards: one for bad credit and an unexciting balance transfer card.

What is a sub-prime card?

Aqua is considered sub-prime, but one of its cards offers .5% cashback on purchases and free foreign spending.

I have an old type Natwest Platinum card. It's platinum, so it must be a prime card. :) It offers me no incentives to use it.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    I've got a Capital One non credit builder card £7250 limit. Standard APR is 19.9%. It offers 6.9% on balance transfers no fees for life of balance. They don't offer the card anymore.

I've also got a Natwest Platinum, it never offers me anything either, hardly ever use it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure