Travel insurance for a child that isn't mine?

2»

Comments

• stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    debsterrr wrote: »
    Both children are 12.

And I only booked the holiday a few days ago so just started looking at insurance now.

All the more important to get insurance asap because you are in cancellation and if its not changeable or refundable you would lose most of your money as its going next month. Usually the closer you get the more you lose.
  • zagfles wrote: »
    There's a lot of hysteria on this point. It's not always advisable, if for instance you've booked cancellable flights and hotel reservations there's no urgency to get travel insurance till before you travel.
    Why do you consider it "hysteria"?
    If I book a holiday beginning in 2 months and I take out insurance to cover the dates of that holiday today the premium payable will be exactly the same as if I was to wait until the day before I travel to take out the policy and I will be covered for cancellation from today so there is no financial downside from doing it early.
    There are potential upsides however.

As fully cancellable flights are generally far more expensive (BA LGW to Orlando next month for example is £620 for non changeable or £1950 for flexible) not many people take up the option for cancellable tickets.
    Even if the price difference isn't that extreme, there will still be some difference and this alone may put a lot of people off buying a flexible ticket.

It's also worth remembering that it won't matter that you bought cancellable flights or hotel bookings if the airline, charter company or hotel folds up and you didn't have ATOL protection for the flights or if you didn't have S75 protection by paying with a credit card.
    Even if you got your money refunded via ATOL protection. This process normally takes many months to process where as insurance policies normally pay out far quicker.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 7 September 2017 at 12:25PM
    zagfles wrote: »
    The other thing to look into is there are now silly rules about taking other peoples' children out of the country - you might need a letter from her parents giving you permission to take her. Not sure how this works - I can't see how a letter could be proof of parental consent as anyone could have written the letter, but you'd best look into this.

This ^

It is called a loco parentis letter. It needs to have the parent/guardian's passport details, full names & address/tel number on along with those of the child and the parent assuming responsibility for the child. Include the dates of travel and countries being visited.

Has the child got an Esta?

Edit - this will help you with the letter https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/348110/Letter_of_Consent_for_Minors_travelling_to_UK_Apr08.pdf
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,279
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Why do you consider it "hysteria"?
    Because you get people saying stuff like you must, it is essential etc. No, it's not essential in all cases. It might be a good idea most of the time, that's about it.
    If I book a holiday beginning in 2 months and I take out insurance to cover the dates of that holiday today the premium payable will be exactly the same as if I was to wait until the day before I travel to take out the policy and I will be covered for cancellation from today so there is no financial downside from doing it early.
    There are potential upsides however.
    Of course there's a financial downside. You've paid the insurance premium. A waste of money if you end up cancelling before you go, if you have nothing to claim for because all your flights & reservations were cancellable.
    As fully cancellable flights are generally far more expensive (BA LGW to Orlando next month for example is £620 for non changeable or £1950 for flexible) not many people take up the option for cancellable tickets.
    Even if the price difference isn't that extreme, there will still be some difference and this alone may put a lot of people off buying a flexible ticket.
    I've been on a few long haul flights where the cheapest tickets available were fully cancellable tickets. There weren't any non-flexible tickets left with the same airline, and other airlines' non-flexible tickets were more expensive. In some cases, with a small admin fee, but the fee was less than the cost of an insurance policy.
    It's also worth remembering that it won't matter that you bought cancellable flights or hotel bookings if the airline, charter company or hotel folds up and you didn't have ATOL protection for the flights or if you didn't have S75 protection by paying with a credit card.
    Even if you got your money refunded via ATOL protection. This process normally takes many months to process where as insurance policies normally pay out far quicker.
    Pay with a credit card then! Usually no extra for longhaul.
  • zagfles wrote: »
    There's a lot of hysteria on this point. It's not always advisable.
    zagfles wrote: »
    No, it's not essential in all cases. It might be a good idea most of the time, that's about it.
    So it's not always advisable but it is a good idea most of the time?

If you think it's a good idea most of the time, I don't understand why you think it's hysteria to advise someone to take out travel insurance as soon as they book their holiday?

Whilst it may well be true that flexible tickets are sometimes cheaper than non flexible ones, I'm sure that this is the exception rather than the rule.
    I fly long haul 14 or 15 time per year and have done so for the past 25 years and I've never had it happen so it can't be that common an occurrence.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,279
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    So it's not always advisable but it is a good idea most of the time?
    Err...yes! Not "always", not "essential", but a good idea most of the time. Not all. I think it's clear enough now isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure