Problem with Gift Card purchase on Ebay

Options
2»

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems that way, however I would still say its not a guaranteed win, The seller could argue it was used by the buyer

But as eBay have no fair way of assessing that, they will simply tell the seller to accept the return and refund the buyer. Unfortunately that's how eBay works on cases where it isn't clear cut.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    don9999 wrote: »
    Yes I have raised a case.

And yes it was a physical card that I received, on which was the code.

The seller seems to be calming down now and willing to discuss.

I still don't understand how it could have happened though.....

There is a post on the "discount codes & vouchers" page ( which I have flagged to MSE to remove ) which links to pages offering to generate voucher codes for various different retailers. Obvious scam , I have no idea if the codes generated by such sites would work or not, but if they do you may have randomly come across a duplicate
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    There is a post on the "discount codes & vouchers" page ( which I have flagged to MSE to remove ) which links to pages offering to generate voucher codes for various different retailers. Obvious scam , I have no idea if the codes generated by such sites would work or not, but if they do you may have randomly come across a duplicate

OP has said this was a physical card, not a generated voucher code.
  • dlusman
    Options
    OP has said this was a physical card, not a generated voucher code.

But it is a code on the card that is then entered onto Amazon. I would imagine that codes on cards are similar format to those sent via email
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    But it is a code on the card that is then entered onto Amazon. I would imagine that codes on cards are similar format to those sent via email

This wasn't a code, this was a physical card. You scratch the back/front of the card to reveal the code. For Ebay purposes, this is eligible for buyer protection.
  • dlusman
    Options
    This wasn't a code, this was a physical card. You scratch the back/front of the card to reveal the code. For Ebay purposes, this is eligible for buyer protection.

Yes - but the code has already been used. The OP asked how this might be possible. It is possible that the code could have been generated and used by one of these fraud sites
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Yes - but the code has already been used. The OP asked how this might be possible. It is possible that the code could have been generated and used by one of these fraud sites

You said
    I would imagine that codes on cards are similar format to those sent via email
    I am saying they aren't (for the purposes of buyer protection).

What is your point? No one knows if the code has been used, or was never valid.....
  • dlusman
    edited 9 June 2017 at 10:20PM
    Options
    You said I am saying they aren't (for the purposes of buyer protection).

What is your point? No one knows if the code has been used, or was never valid.....

correct. no-one knows - The OP asked how it was posible that the code MIGHT have been used. I supplied a possible reason ( that it had been previously generated by a fraud site - before being issued legitimatly by Amazon ) . I made no comment about buyer protection
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure