We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Noooooo noooooo

Hope its sorted before thursday.

Well we have had REALLY heavy showers, and 2 lots of rumbling thunder...and now the sun is out lol..

Runner so glad you are back....missed you.

It is suprising how empty the thread feels when someone doesn't post..

Our main computer in work went awol, so hubby has gone to pick it up, along with doing some other errands so hope he gets there before they close ..
    Work to live= not live to work
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Went to lottie, weeded half a bean bed (the dwarf borlotties, half of which disappeared to slugs the first night grrr) and OH dug up some new spuds. He prepared the free patch of soil for some leek seedlings we've been given, and had just decanted them into a bowl of water to gently tease out the roots when the rain started! Rush for car as my handbag and camera vulnerable, but time we got to lottie gates it was tippling down. Sat in porch at home with G&T and a couple of ciggies, heard the thunder, but not particularly close. Seems like the rain is petering out now, but we did get a nice downpour. So won't need to water lottie (and a friend's lottie) this evening, but if rain stops OH may go back and finish planting the leeks.

We had intended to put hoops over the carrots and parsnips in old baths, the carrots are hitting the enviromesh that we have stretched over the bath tops, but the rain put paid to that too. Tomorrow my car goes for MOT so morning is gone. ;) Afternoon we have to try get stuff out of old home as chap is coming to clear it on Tuesday! :eek: We think completion is Friday, so please cross yer fingers for us! :rotfl:

Glad to hear your garden is coming along well Rummer and that Rumlett is big enough to enjoy it now! Higgledy posted on Face Book about June and July are good months to sow seeds of biennials - wallflowers and foxgloves and so on. He seems to have a good selection, but given all we have to do over the next few weeks I'm not sure I'll be ordering seeds for those this year. We should have gone to caravan to sort out the boat before now, but with uncertainty over completion date plus I've not been well it's not happened.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2015 at 7:15PM
    Picked up a Tropaeolum speciosum (Scottish flame flower); lacking a hedge planted at base of my ceanothus. TBH, I will be amazed to see it again, like the Meconopsis this is a plant which either vanishes in a jiffy or runs wild in the garden and there's no way of predicting how it'll go!

Also got Agapanthus ‘Enigma' a bi-colour evergreen so it won't be winter hardy outside with me. The pot is bursting which may encourage flowering.

Gave all the evergreens a foliar feed of epsom salts to cheer them up after the rains have leached the soil.

Other than that, weeded and took a number of bags to recycling centre so patio looks a lot tidier now.

I'm swithering on buying a water-feature, quite like this one as it's self-contained, just needs a power cord, so can be drained and covered during the winter.

WEAQPWFMT039__85299_std.jpg
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm swithering on buying a water-feature, quite like this one as it's self-contained, just needs a power cord, so can be drained and covered during the winter.

WEAQPWFMT039__85299_std.jpg

Moving water is difficult IMO. Too much, and the effect goes from restful to, "OMG, the ball c0ck's jammed!" :eek:

...And people of a certain age may find themselves wanting to "go" constantly. :o

In 2013, we visited two gardens where people had spent serious money on water. In one, the detrimental effect on next door's peace and quiet was very apparent, and in the other, it was like a scene at the municipal water works. Of course, both owners were very proud of their achievements!

I want to do a ponds and stream combination here, but practical considerations will mean that the amount of water movement will be limited to a trickle.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    IHS I feel that no garden is complete without a water feature be the water moving or still. Water is so calming. At the moment we have a pond in the wildlife section of the garden and I love it. However with Rumlet now mobile we are going to fill it in until he is old enough to be sensible.

It was so lovely being out in the garden today :D the back beds have been weeded, grass cut and the lawn edged. Over the next few days we will tackle the bottom, side and front gardens. SO much to do and so little time!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We are next to the burn & it doe make you drowsy, but also it makes you want to wee - the noise of flowing water, so you wake up bursting!

Our water fall is beautiful & quite a spectacular thing but it is a bit of a walk down, but worth it.

Sunny here but spent all day looking for something I sold on ebay - it's chaos & I am not a happy bunny. No plumber again - we hear he was celebrating most of yesterday & today he will be feeling ruff. He was supposed to be here last week on Wednesday, but he is so unreliable.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Phone came back on again at some point today, but we were out spending a minor fortune, having finalised the kitchen at last. :(:):cool::o;):p:eek:

This will mean more plastering for Mr Rod, once we have hauled out the old wreck of a kitchen....

We carried on to Exeter, where we visited a wood stove supplier and fitters. They gave us much better vibes than the huge place near here.:j They have a smaller range, but that's because they only deal with products which, in their 30 years experience, won't give them too many warranty problems. They also do the Welsh Chilli Penguin stoves, which hardly anyone else does in this area, and Contura, which I'd not seen before. :)

Then on to Howdens where, as usual, the crummy little Tiverton depot only had one of the item I wanted, and that was messy/a bit rough.:mad: Fortunately, it was only the airing cupboard door, so a bit of negotiation on the price.... without them knowing we'd only be seeing one side! :p

Next, I must wash the van, as it has its service and MoT tomorrow. We need it for one more year, but I know the steering rack has a ??? over it and buying+ fitting one of those is more than the vehicle is worth. smiley-sad008.gif
  • choille
    :beer:Congratulations on the kitchen Dave - that's an achievement.:beer:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We have a stream running through and around part of our land, unless it's piddling it down it's just a small trickle.. So no water sounds lol.

Davesnave.. A very productive sounding day, especially now the kitchen units etc are sorted.

I am now thinking about autumn flowers/ plants I can buy as plug plants to bring on and sell, been looking at Jersey plants direct and I am a bit undecided on which ones to take a gamble on?? Any suggestions on which ones might make me a few pennies???

Some wired weather at the moment, and so sad about the people who died up in pen-yr-fan mountain struck by lightening...such a tragic accident.

I am in the bath as I type lol.. And then off up the ranch...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • choille
    I think 'wired weather' is a Freudian slip - terrible tragedy indeed.
    Autumn plants? I wouldn't know. I'm surprised that money can be made growing on plug plants. But you have a much larger population so that will make selling anything more productive.

Can you not make up planters? Go for instant colour? Do different shades & get some nice cheap containers or spray plain ones? Make wooden ones - up-cycle summat?

Chucking it down now & I've got a flare up of my chronic gut condition so feeling pretty bad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback