Batman2017 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    keep us updated with how you get on
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If they have so many dogs I'd go directly to environmental health at your council.

It's not normal in a domestic situation.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    If they have so many dogs I'd go directly to environmental health at your council.
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I think I'd say nothing to the neighbours and go straight to the council, with a detailed noise diary.

The first thing the council asked when I complained about a neighbour's cockerels was "have you consulted with the neighbour on this"?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Supersonos wrote: »
    At the moment, my wife is favouring a message on Facebook as she really doesn't want us to speak to them face to face as she thinks they'll just be rude. I'm not sure about this (we're not friends with them on FB).
    Facebook? Definitely not - not if you're not actually friends with them! It's not the place to be approaching people, it's a social site. I'd find it extremely weird to receive a message from my neighbour on my own personal FB page and would probably immediately block them after saying can we talk about this in person please. Very intrusive. Besides which, the message may just go into their 'others' folder (or whatever it's called now) and you'll never know if they received it if they choose not to respond.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Supersonos wrote: »
    The fact they don't really mix with anyone does lead us to believe they probably don't care about anyone else.

Just cos someone doesnt 'mix' doesnt necessarily mean they dont GAF. I dont mix with anyone in my village where Ive lived for 10 years, and Im 99% sure I seem odd to them, but nevertheless I care about disturbing the peace of others. So might your neighbours.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • LavenderBee
    Options
    OP, as you mentioned you get on with other neighbours, is it worth asking any of them if they have a problem with the noise too? I just wonder if there may be someone locally who has a better starting relationship with them (I know you said they keep themselves to themselves) who could broach the subject in a more sympathetic way.

As a dog lover and owner I would be concerned about a pack of dogs who are barking to get back in the house, there's a bit of pack mentality going on there as I suspect one is setting off the other 5-7, but they must be in a state of distress to some extent too :( And if this is the case, it seems the solution to all of this is quite simple, open the bloomin' door!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep a diary as previously advised.
    Go to your local Council's website, find the address for Environmental Health, find the head of the department and write directly.
    Worked for us with someone who had 4 Jack Russels and never walked them. Nothing, but nothing, makes a racket like 4 JR's penned in a yard all day! They were eventully taken away and rehomed separately, according to the RSPCA.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    OP, as you mentioned you get on with other neighbours, is it worth asking any of them if they have a problem with the noise too?

Oh yes, it annoys a lot of the neighbours! It's been discussed at length on many occasion.
    Batman2017 wrote: »
    keep us updated with how you get on

We put a very short, polite note through their door. They knocked on the door and were very nice about it. Agreed the barking is too much and is driving them mad, too.

Hopefully now something will happen.

Thanks all for the advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 3 October 2017 at 10:10AM
    Options
    As an aside I just can't understand them letting the dogs bark all the time.

I'm a dog lover, I have two but barking drives me to distraction, and at all hours I'd be late for work, tired , grumpy etc.

Why oh why don't people look after their animals, my two dont bark and if they do there is a reason but well trained, looked after dogs dont incessitantly bark for no reason either attention, insecurity, warning, boredom etc etc.

They need a kick up the wotsit and need to start respecting their neighbours.

In terms of what to do I'd knock on the door and say the dogs are really disturbing my sleep and enjoyment of my property and could they address it . Their response will give you an idea of what kind of people they are and if they are rude, negative, not interested then say you'll be keeping a noise Disturbance diary and sending it to the council.

I WOULD ALSO GARNER THE SUPPORT OF OTHER NEIGHBOURS AND COLLECTIVELY GET SOME ACTION. YOU CANT BE THE ONLY ONES UPSET BY THIS.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I'm starting to think responsible dog owners are a vanishing minority in this country. Should it really be so easy to own something that is potentially annoying, potentially dangerous and requires many years of financial and time commitment?

Sat at a bus stop recently and saw two dogs take a dump which their owner did not clear up; a small girl with large hoop earrings playing a ball game with her dad who was smoking, and a mother holding pushing a pram and smoking. Wish we had a Scum Police to sort this out.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport