Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• Thanks for the response.

I haven't signed up for Monzo, just presumed it would be too tight to try get it in time.

I'm in Scotland so Metro bank may be out of the question. Is there any major negatives with high street travel agent cards? (Thomson, Travelex etc)

Thanks again
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Cee.mass wrote: »
    Is there any major negatives with high street travel agent cards? (Thomson, Travelex etc)
    Yes, they will cost you a lot in fees and/or exchange rate loads. Compare to the cost of using your existing credit and debit cards before purchasing any of these.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    Soldo provides supplementary cards for minors and good value for overseas use. Monthly fee begins after three months. Please let us know how it goes if you try it.

https://family.soldo.com/en-uk/c/family/

The problem with Soldo now which has been the problem since they became their own payments processor, is the speed in which credits get into the account. While they do receive Faster Payments on the day it is sent according to my statements, credits appear on the account the next working day. That means that if you credit the account by Faster Payments on a Friday you're stuck till Monday. These days that is way too slow.

Not a problem if credits are done by bank transfer and the Soldo account can be credited a few days before the money is needed but for credits which are urgent look elsewhere.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    After some advice, please.

I am off to Canada soon and have received a Monzo card as my cash card. I am taking Canadian Dollars as well and also my credit card.
    I have put £100 on the Monzo card to start me off but on reading the info that came with it saying the card is only beta as yet so take another card as well, I'm a bit wary of putting any more money into it.
    Thoughts please. I haven't been abroad for years so things have changed a lot.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    After some advice, please.

I am off to Canada soon and have received a Monzo card as my cash card. I am taking Canadian Dollars as well and also my credit card.
    I have put £100 on the Monzo card to start me off but on reading the info that came with it saying the card is only beta as yet so take another card as well, I'm a bit wary of putting any more money into it.
    Thoughts please. I haven't been abroad for years so things have changed a lot.

When is soon? Why are you taking C$??
  • Last time we were abroad a few years ago (Corfu) we used a Halifax Clarity card and a Caxton prepaid card with no problems. It seems from the advice like we'd be better taking a Monzo card now. I dont find the website as as clear as the Caxton website and it seems there are less ways of loading money on the card. I guess I can download and use the app (not used to apps but can learn!) but what's this about Beta and taking an alternative card? Not very reassuring. If the card is contactless, what if you're shopping somewhere in rural France that's not set up for contactless? Also, do you need to be always signing on to wifi to check the app? Revolut seems to be the same. Loot seems to allow loading on the website but has the mag stripe transactions switched off so take another card. What does that mean? Would we just be better sticking to the Caxton which seemed to work everywhere last time?
  • WAYT
    Last time we were abroad a few years ago (Corfu) we used a Halifax Clarity card and a Caxton prepaid card with no problems. It seems from the advice like we'd be better taking a Monzo card now. I dont find the website as as clear as the Caxton website and it seems there are less ways of loading money on the card. I guess I can download and use the app (not used to apps but can learn!) but what's this about Beta and taking an alternative card? Not very reassuring. If the card is contactless, what if you're shopping somewhere in rural France that's not set up for contactless? Also, do you need to be always signing on to wifi to check the app? Revolut seems to be the same. Loot seems to allow loading on the website but has the mag stripe transactions switched off so take another card. What does that mean? Would we just be better sticking to the Caxton which seemed to work everywhere last time?

https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

Monzo will soon start charging for ATM withdrawals abroad.
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    WAYT wrote: »
    When is soon? Why are you taking C$??

going the end of October and taking a small amount of cash just for the first couple of days. Why would any of that make any difference?
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • WAYT
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    going the end of October and taking a small amount of cash just for the first couple of days. Why would any of that make any difference?

Because Monzo starts charging for ATM withdrawals abroad some time this year.
    Buying C$ here is expensive and a waste of time. The chance of no ATM machines working at the airport on arrival must be close to zero.
  • Hi

Apologies if a repeat post but we're due to visit Hawaii (Oahu) in 3 weeks time and we want to get a couple of pre paid cards. I'm thinking of getting one Visa and one MasterCard but seem to be having difficulty finding a Visa travel money card. Can anyone recommend/suggest one?

Thanks in advance
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure