We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Comments

• madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    I ran out of pots weeks ago - paper pots is the answer.

Use this design, with A5 paper and you can fit 12 pots to each half sized seed tray when they are filled with compost.

Use recycled printer paper and make the folds really crisp and you get a fantastic pot that is strong enough to hold it's own alone, but still disintegrates when planted out or potted on.

That was fun, thanks! I tried with scrap A4 paper and the pot is tiny, 1.5 inches square and 2.25 inches deep, ideal for small seeds but pretty useless for larger ones. I'll try again with newspaper later!
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Afternoon all
    Due to the kindness of a certain someone on here, I'm now the owner of 50 morrisons flower buckets :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

hubby said 'thanks!' by the way as he looked at the pile, got out the drill and started putting holes in them for me:D
    Not that they're going outside yet as its still raining only with high winds too just for a change........starting to wonder if I should be building an ark.

Yesterday I tried to put a bird feeding station in mums sand dune back garden thinking there must be some soil under there........nope there's none. I'd sunk 30" of it in and could still move it several inches either way, going to lash it to the metal fence posts next visit.
    She can have tubs with flowers in, surrounded by sand dunes, my version of an oasis:D

My rhubarb in large pot looks unhappy, I'm assuming drainage problem as I only thought it would be in there for a few weeks when I had to move it so the new fence could go in. Must get it back in the ground on the next dry day I'm here.

Now what can I grow in morrisons flower buckets :D my growing is usually done directly in the ground.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    annie123 wrote: »
    Afternoon all
    Due to the kindness of a certain someone on here, I'm now the owner of 50 morrisons flower buckets :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

Aw that's great annie and really nice of whoever helped you. :T

All of our Morrisons have the square fixed type of buckets now, I think someone else here said their Morrisons said they were moving to this kind too?

Tesco's have big square things but they get sent back to get reused apparently.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I grow tomatoes,beetroot,green beans,onions in Morrisons buckets last year and they did fantastically.

This year I'm doing carrots and parsnips too (if those blooming parsnips ever germinate)
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • Phew! It finally stopped raining long enough for me to pot up my fuchsia plugs and sow the remaining beans plus a few extra sunflowers and sweet peas. Rearranged everything in the tiny greenhouse so I could get those in too as well as the Brussels and leeks to start them hardening off (and because our new kittens keep eating the damn leeks).

Just need the ground to dry out enough to sow the things that need sowing direct now!
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Afternoon all

Now what can I grow in morrisons flower buckets :D my growing is usually done directly in the ground.

Brilliant, that should keep you busy!! :T

I'm going to try mixed salad leaves, spring onions & radish in mine. Also Charlotte potatoes although mbe has warned me I'll get a smaller crop. Not sure what else yet??

Not doing anything though until this horrible weather improves :(
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Sambucus_Nigra Posts: 8,669 Forumite
    madmum33 wrote: »
    That was fun, thanks! I tried with scrap A4 paper and the pot is tiny, 1.5 inches square and 2.25 inches deep, ideal for small seeds but pretty useless for larger ones. I'll try again with newspaper later!

They are just right for one tomato plant. Or one squash plant.

I'm going through my stash of recycling paper as I type - making loads for schools this week as I suspect there will be little else to do this week.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Afternoon all

That's lucky. :beer:

I've acquired a butternut squash plant. :D Apparently, all the stuff I'm growing is too easy, so I'm looking forward to the challenge. It's a wee bit battered from all the travelling it's done, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I have also got lots of plants for my pond:

Water hawthorn, water soldiers, a water lily and some pond weed stuff from my dad's pond (couldn't take too much because he's got some nasty invasive pond weed that I don't want to inherit).

From the garden centre, under instruction, I got horsetail, a chameleon plant, water mint, variegated water dropwort, white Himalayan marigold, brooklime and bushy horsetail. Pics later when it's not so wet.

Got a couple of buckets of water and sludge from his pond, plus some snails and leeches. That should get it off to a decent start. I need to get some oxygenating plants like elodea and hornwort, which I should be able to do tomorrow, plus some zebra rushes which looked nice on Gardeners' World on Friday.

93 year old grandma pleased with flowers. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Either we've had the heaviest rain in the world over the weekend, or my pond is not leaking, as it was just about overflowing when I got back.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • diddly74
    diddly74 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    O woe is me! My mini greenhouse has blown over and spilled all my seedlings, pots and other paraphinalia all over the garden. :eek: Weather is 'orrible so I have tried to salvage what I can and have left the rest. Is it gonna be nicer tomorrow??????
    Donna
    Economy; careful management; providence. Whether you call it thrifty or frugality it all comes down to getting more for your money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure