PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• Disaster for me yesterday. Himself went to buy milk, bread and yogurts, but spent £32 on things we didn't need. Teabags for example - I have half a huge box left and I rarely have tea at home (mostly at work).

I believe the word I'm looking for is livid!!!!

*off to update sig*
    I saw two shooting stars last night
    I wished on them, but they were only satellites
    It's wrong to wish on space hardware
    I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Morning all

welcome on board SpikeySoul :D

Well hubby has tootled off to play golf - so I ventured into the basement to fish out something for dinner tonight (he will get fed a main meal at lunchtime there ;) ).... and Im still working on getting some space made in the freezer:A :rotfl:
    So I have pulled out :-
    1. pork fillets in peppercorn sauce -got on whoops ages ago :p
    2. carrots, broccoli and cauli cheese -I made and froze
    3. some sliced green beans
    4. then grabbed potatoes n onions from the store ...
    So im going to slice n layer the potatoes n onions -bake em in the remoska, then put the pork n sauce on top to cook, zap the cauli cheese n beans ...tada.. dinner is served :rotfl:

12 days to pay day and Im still being tighter than a ducks doo daa :D ... The special supermarket leaflets arrived this morning -I have skimmed through them, and will have a proper look in a moment... but I have spotted 10kilo of potatoes for €1.99/£1.60 :j -so I might have to grab 2 nets -I could live on potatoes, and we get through loads now winter meals are on the menu!

I think we will only need milk and carrots again this week.. although if the place im getting potatoes from has the 10 kilo of onions for €1.79/ £1.45 I will grab one of those too ;) -other than that I still can't see anything I should need.

I have more bread underway, just waiting for it to finish rising in the bowl then into the remoska its going;)

right Im off to my crochet blanky -have a great day everyone :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • bullet_2
    bullet_2 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Well yesterday was a bit of a disaster as far as spending no money goes, we ended up spending £11.85, but I consoled myself that some of those things would have to be bought next week anyway.
    I've checked my cupboards and fridge and have decided to use up what's in them bar the meals I'm saving for next month, so have had to abandon for a bit my 1950's meal plan. Otherwise I'd have to buy more stuff and spend more money.
    So next few days are:
    Stir fry beef with rice and peas.
    Beef curry with rice and peas
    Lamb and lentil curried burgers with potatoes and broccoli
    Corned beef hash with turnips
    Bacon and pea bolognaise
    Bacon, pea and cheese pie with cabbage
    Home made veggie pizza
    Veggie curry.
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No-don't drop out this month-its only a blip! Call it £85 and do your best? Taking part and keeping receipts is great so a little blip now and then isnt the end of the world-don't despair!

Hi Angel,

Ive taken your advice and decided to stay with the challenge for this month. I know your right about it because, if I dont I will just spend spend spend on stuff I dont need and probably would end up wasting anyway.

i will call it £85, and leave it at that.

Jackie
  • ness_w
    ness_w Posts: 334 Forumite
    Well, a terrible start for us this week - OH went out to the shop for onions and nappies...came back with no nappies, no receipt and two bags of random shopping including lemonade (we NEVER have that), posh crisps, cammenbert. He reckons he has spent 'about' ten pounds - none of it on stuff we'll use in proper meals. Didn't bring back milk or bread either so that's another trip to the shops necessary!
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Sounds like I've managed to knock my DH into shape pretty quickly reading some of the posts on here.....

Before early last year he'd pick up loads of expensive and not very nutritious "stuff", and I never knew what he'd spent. From the middle of last year until a couple of months ago he picked up odd bits, but not a lot as he's now on very restricted "pocket money" for beer and fags -- and he quickly learned that if I didn't approve of the purchases he didn't get the money back for them ;)

The latest was a few weeks back, when on seperate 'outings' we ended up in the same shop at the same time. He proudly showed me a pack of meat he'd picked up (and was heading to the tills to pay for) when I pointed out (none too kindly!) that I didn't have freezer space, and that just three days earlier I'd stocked up on much the same item at less than half the price -- which he knew I'd done as he'd seen me repacking it all...... since then he's picked up absolutely nothing :T

I've just had to re-jig my freezers though !! Having done a stock take last Tuesday (when I realised I had enough - mainly Whoopsied - meat for about 8 weeks) I decided it would have to be an absolute bargain (as in I don't expect to see it repeated) to make me pick up any more before I've run what we've got right down..... and I found one of those bargains this morning !

Co-Op had 5 packs of their 'semi-happy' chicken thighs on Whoopsie to 45p/pack making for a total of £2.25 -- and the full price for the 5 packs should have been £10.72 :eek: So I can afford to do us 2 thighs each at a time which DH looks very happy about, making up 14 portions (minor problem with 3 of us, so I'll have to get creative and stretch the last 2 portions between the three of us) at just over 16p a portion :j So I've repacked them all into portions, moved the contents of a 'half used' tub of HM frozen yoghurt into a smaller tub to make some room, moved other bits around, and squeezed 11 portions into the freezers -- leaving 3 out for tonight :)

Now I really don't have any more room in there until I've used a fair bit stuff up :rolleyes:
    Cheryl
  • moodydonkey
    moodydonkey Posts: 5,218 Forumite
    Oh dear I am beginning to really get too into this lol have just spent an hour doing my shopping online just to see how much it's gonna cost me so I don't get a shock at the checkout tomorrow.
    I appear to have waaaaay too much time on my hands!
    Sadly, you don't have any badges yet but keep trying! See what you could get........... oh boo hoo I am crying into my wine. :D
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Afternoon all,
    [strike]
    Hmmmm, feeling the urge to go to shops and buy stuff to cheer me up - chocolate, cheese, crisps, that sort of thing (sooooo tired, left church halfway through as just did not have the energy to be there and look after DS too :().
    We only have Lidl, Coop or Tesco to choose from, or a nice lunch out (if DS fancies it when he gets back ;)- he'd need to drive us).
    I have been reading your posts to try and deter myself but am still thinking everyone deserves a treat every so often!!!!!
    I do need some more fruit juice too so we will see...................
    [/strike]

UPDATED TO SAY: To cheer me up and get some fresh air we went to lovely local place for lunch (DS drove, I paid from family budget not GC)- lovely lovely lovely cakes for afters ;), we all enjoyed it and feel so much better now. Will just have tonights planned dinner for lunch tomorrow so no waste :D x

Back on topic, my DH is quite well trained too, he does not have lots of money to spend and is pretty good with the small amount he has :) - he does not waste money either as he does not smoke (other than the odd cigar) or drink. I also think some men are easier to train than others and really feel for those whose OH's misbehave :naughty:.

Bye for now and take care all.

x OS
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    I had an awful shock when I went to a butchers the other day. I go there for bones mainly to make stock for Pup, but thought I'd get some oxtail..I'd share some with Pup cuz the offspring don't like it :p Anyhoo, the butcher said it was cheaper to buy diced steak :eek: & more so if I had kidney mixed in too!

So I had lovely chunky cubes of beef with two diced kidneys, a small gammon joint & two packs of bones for £12. The joint was marked Morrisons [as in the shop] & priced £4:99 but he was selling them for £2:50--it's for turning into cold cuts so a real bargain :j
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Earlier this month I did a grocery shop and then promptly lost the receipt, so I estimated how much I spent, I've now found the receipt and I'd over estimated by £4, I feel so happy.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business