compensation for cancelling court case - Scottish SB debt

13»

Comments

• As has been correctly stated, in Scotland the debt 'ceases to exist. I have stated on here many times in the past - you may have missed those posts - that 'written off' is a misleading term and creates confusion for the borrower. Writing a debt off is just an accounting exercise for a lender. It means nothing to anyone else. A debt is 'written off' to bad debt which means the lender expects to get no further income from it or if they do it will be pennies in the pound from a debt sale or severely reduced payments from the borrower. It most definitely does not mean it 'ceases to exist'. I have seen many posters on here over the years being misled into believing the debt doesn't exist anymore because it's been written off and are then surprised, annoyed and many ranges of emotion for their misunderstanding.

So - why perpetuate this misunderstanding?

I see your point (now you've actually explained yourself properly), but as thomathy has said it's not particularly relevant to this thread. The debt has ceased to exist so therefore its value must be reduced to zero - written off. Yes, there are instances where 'written off' could be used where the debt still does legally exist, and yes this may in some cases lead to people being surprised by debts they thought no longer existed, but in this instance 'written off' is still a correct and relevant term to use.

Not all of us have the time (or inclination) to trawl through the previous posts of everyone who comments on here, so failing to put your comments in context over several posts has only served to confuse people and distract from OP's situation.
  • Even with an explanation you are still not grasping it - never mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure