letter of consent to travel

what is needed in type of wording on a letter of consent for my son/and us their g/parents to take his children abroad without their mother, he is seperated from her and a friend said it would be required is it?anyone know
my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The mother would need to say "I .......... the mother of ........... do consent to my child ................. leaving the UK for a holiday with Mr. ......... and ........(name of grandparents)."

It should then state the dates of the holiday and the destination and should be signed and her name also printed.

If your son has parental responsibility he should not need this letter and in any event not all destinations require it but better to be safe than sorry.

It is also worth checking with the embassy of the country you are going to as to whether they have any specific things they want in.
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    we are off to the usa and they have never argued over the children, he has them most weekends etc we were just worried incase we were asked for a letter of consent perhaps its not required in this case.I FAIL TO SEE HOW THIS WOULD STOP AN ABDUCTION AS ANYONE COULD FORGE A SIGNATURE.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • Check with the airline, I took my niece with Easyjet and wrote to them to ask them and they said it's not a problem, but I think RyanAir to do require the letter.
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    A person in whose favour a residence order has been made can take the child out of the UK for up to a month without needing the permission of anyone else. S/he can also delegate responsibility to someone else who can then take the child out of the UK for up to a month, but it is advisable for her/him to seek permission from anyone else with parental responsibility, since another person with parental responsibility for the child could challenge the decision to delegate in court if s/he disagreed with it.

Where there is no residence order in force, the consent of everybody with parental responsibility is needed before the child can be taken out of the UK, even for a holiday. If consent is refused, the parent who is looking after the child would have to apply to court for a specific issue order to give her/him permission. Anyone who does take a child under the age of 16 out of the UK without the appropriate consent may commit an offence under the Child Abduction Act 1984.

Best to get written permission from his Mum - just in case
  • now i understand what to do to get my son abroad the problem we having is i can not get my son a passport.
    my son is 15yrs old and lives with his father. his mother changed his name by peed-poll 10yrs ago and his mother will not give the deed-poll papers or even consent for him to have a passport. does anyone know what to do as i dont think it is fair as he lives with me so why does the mother have rights and not me the father.
  • it best to check with the relevant countries embassys as it often has to be an official notarised letter which may have to be sent to the embassy first to be accepted

i know that this used to be the case for the dominincan republic a few years ago but it changed recently

it can also be as long as the child is travelling with the same people in and out of the country there is not a problem

i always take my sons birth certificate with me when we travel as a single parent but i have taken him to thailand mexico margartia columbia brazil dominican republic cuba without any problems
  • Mr_Lahey
    Mr_Lahey Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    I have full custody of my children but when i went travelling with them i took this just in case, along with a photo copy of their mothers passport:

To whom it may concern,

I (mothers name) – UK Passport Number xxxxxx, natural mother of (Son's full name) born on xx November 2001 and (Daughters full name) born on xx September 2004 hereby give full permission for both children to travel with their father (my name), UK Passport Number xxxxxxx wherever he might decide.

(My name) has full custody of both children and as such I fully endorse and support any decision he should make in respect of where they travel.

For further clarification I may be contacted on (+44) (her number)

Yours sincerely

(her name)

I might add it was never requested.
    The Summer Holiday of a Lifetime
  • Hi I am in a similar situation, I have private foster care of an 11 yr old boy, he came with his mum to the UK as an asylum seeker 8 yrs ago and they now have indefinate leave status so are allowed to stay and same rights as anyone to all the benefits etc, my problem is that he has been with us for 2 yrs now and see's his mum every half term, xmas etc, but I want to take my kids abroad for a holiday this summer and want him to come too, I have spent many hours googling this but cant find anything about how I get him a passport, his mum passed the british citizen test, but I think she may have to apply for a british passport, which costs a lot more than for a normal citizen,before he can, any advice on this would be great.
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 January 2010 at 6:59PM
    Rules differ from country to country, however if there are no custody issues, similar to Mr Lahey, when my son travels alone only with his mother or only with me or on his own, (no custody issues) we draft a letter based on the below. Often there is a requirement that the document be notarised, however we have yet to bother with that requirement, although adding a witness can easily done.

In addition with the letter below he carries colour copies of all three passports signed by us both and a copy of his birth certificate to confirm parentage.

(Mothers name)
    (Address)
    Tel XXXXX XXXXXX
    Mob XXXXX XXXXXXX

(Todays date)

To whom it may concern.

This is to confirm that I (Mothers name) holder of UK passport number XXXXXXXXX give my permission for my son (Childs same) holder of UK passport number XXXXXXXXX to visit his father (fathers name) holder of UK passport number XXXXXXXXX in (Airport/City/Country).

(sons name) will be travelling on flight (flight details) on (date) and arriving at (Airport/City/Country) on (date) where he will be me by his father (fathers name)

(sons name) is in possession of return ticket number (ticket/E-ticket number) departing (Airport/City/Country) on (date).

(fathers name) contact numbers in (Name of City and Country) are Tel XXXXX XXXXXX Mob XXXXX XXXXXXX.

Yours Sincerely

(Mothers signature)
    (Mothers name printed)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    My parents and I have taken my niece on holiday at various times, we have never had a letter of consent. We have never been asked for one by anyone when we have been travelling.
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport