PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's a pain nicki. Better to know now than later that all is not well. Hope the refund clears super quick.

Found my wellies.
    Put the garden chairs away into the garage.
    Oiled the shed locks/hinges.
    Put a couple of mugs of salt into the shed to draw moisture.
    Had a quick look at the felt roof (what I could see) to see if ok.
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    This is a link to the winter storm story my weather friend told me about...its probably going to hit the same areas the Hurricane did... not good news....its going to be below freezing in the current awful conditions....it will hit around Wednesday

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151296365228352&set=a.10150510202963352.430992.338552703351&type=1&theater

They have just announced it on CNN...it is based on European forecasts and models for that area.

The European model is also forecasting that the UK could get a very wintry blast of air with very high winds next week. Had it been mentioned in the UK yet?
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 November 2012 at 8:27PM
    deleted...............
  • For most of the UK Kittie? Widespead or just the highlands and pennines?

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    bluebag wrote: »
    I always split it into two lots this way as well. Saves it getting all crushed and creased too, which saves on the ironing time.

Apart from hating ironing with a passion, I was also staggered to find out how much electric an iron uses, about 8-10p an hour, fancy paying that much for pure torture.

I think it's much more money saving to ignore the ironing. :D

couldn't agree with you more, so i avoid most clothing that might require ironing and i hang anything that might require ironing out on the line outside, the wind does a lovely job of getting what few wrinkles i seem to get, free, and no time being tortured :T
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 November 2012 at 8:40PM
    kittie wrote: »
    yes 2T. PC is saying widespread snow and blizzards 7th+
    Avoiding the 9th and 12th I hope between London and Thetford as we'll be travelling to and from there, but it's welcome to snow on the 10th and 11th or the 12th after we've arrived home safely :D

Just had a quick look at the charts and I would say from the 10th, Scotland/ possibly 'up north' and only a quick artic blast for them, bit like the one we've already had. But whilst I can read the charts my interpretation could be wrong.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    Nicki, I've just bought one from Amazon too. Its the mini one (around £33). Its not this one is it?

No its this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002TVWU2Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I'm not the only one to have got one that wasn't working properly. Since its a refurbished one I ordered I'm wondering whether I've got the one they returned. :(
    ZsaZsa wrote: »
    Oh no, what a pain. Can amazon not replace rather than refund so you dont have to be without?

I didn't have the option to replace it unfortunately, only return for refund. :( Also means I need to wait in on Monday until the courier has been, so I'm going to do my monthly shop online (including stocking up on some bits) and get it delivered ;):rotfl:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • ZsaZsa
    ZsaZsa Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How annoying. You'll be glad when you get a working one though- they make such a difference!
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Can't remember if I put this tip on this thread or the earlier one.:D

If you have one of those two differing thickness duvets which popper together to give the differing warmth, put each one individually in to their own quilt covers, that way if too warm can easily throw back the thinner top layer, and as this is not next to a body it doesn't need changing and washing every time.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    It has never occured to me that there is difference between different kinds of logs. Our kiln dried logs that we got on Thursday gives out so much more heat compared to those that we have previously bought in Homebase. The briquettes are brilliant to get the fire going and get heat quickly.

Sadly our boiler didn't switch on this morning so off to call British gas this morning for them to come and fix it at least we got the log burner.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure