Cheap Car Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• catmonkey85
    catmonkey85 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Hi All

Just a query...

It says in the article that renewal quotes should be sent out 28days prior to renewal. Does anyone know if this is a legal requirement, or just a guideline?

Admiral will only prepare my renewal quote 21 days before renewal. It's a pain as I want to pay up front and really need to know how much I will need to shell out!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Not a legal requirement.
  • tigertech
    tigertech Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2012 at 11:46AM
    Im so fed up of car insurance , it just feels like a massive con im 32 this year and passed my test 3 years ago ... i have 3 years no claim discount and each year i have found it hard to save money.

My first year cost 1100
    My second year cost 1000
    My third year 950

And how for my fourth year im being quoted around 1000 cheapest i have been able to find is with octagon at around 900. I thought the longer you have been driving / made no claims the more discount your supposed to get but that just doesent seem to happen for me.

The worst thing is my car is mk1 ford focus 1.6 1999 its not even worth 1000£ :(

tryed moneysupermarket compare the market confused aviva and direct line
  • crazyterrier2000
    crazyterrier2000 Posts: 4,751 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 July 2012 at 11:09AM
    Have tried to find this, could not see it, so here goes

I renewed my car insurance on 01/05, in the beginning of June went away for a 7 day break, and came back on a sunday to a recorded delivery letter in the house (unsigned for) telling me my insurance would be cancelled 7 days from the date of the letter (monday) if I did not contact them as I had declared 9+ years NCD when only 6 years had been passed on.

Rang them on the monday and being left with no choice ended up paying an additional £53, £20 was admin fee, £33 was the fact the insurance company went up to 9 years NCD, I only had 6 years, from my previous insurer, they confirmed if I had not contacted them on that day, if I had gone away for a 2 week break, I would of been driving back with no insurance.

On my further investigation, and cutting a long story short, I found out in 2010/2011 I insured my car with 1 of the largest Insurers in Britain (not on comparison sites), I gave them 9 years NCD, but there policy is only to pass on a maximum of 5 years NCD, no matter how many years you declared to them, there started the problem, the 2011/2012 insurer passed on 6 years NCD, to what is now my present insurer, and they picked up the difference in NCD years, and hence sent me the letter.

So: managed to get proof of 10 years from the 2012/2011 company, sent it to the present insured, and got my £53 back in full.

Found out theat this is not only company that has this policy, so decided to contact the Ombudsman, who was happy to forward a complaint to the initial company 2010/2011, they rang me, and gave me a load of bull, they were not going to change their policy, when I pointed out they were one of the leading insurers in Britain and should be setting the example, it fell on death ears.

It could of been possible that because they only passed on 5 years NCD, the next company I had the insurance with, might have also gone to 9 years NCD, but I lost out on it because I never checked my renewal closely enough, which is the key.

Their is obviously a massive profit to be made by company's who practice this, and maybe if it has not been bought up before, Martin would like to take it up on behalf of Britain.
    No longer posting on freebies or comps
  • Hi,

I went through all the options suggested by Martin and the best one for me last year was consistently the elephant/admiral/bell trio.

The best price for that trio comes reliably via comparison site confused.com. That shouldn't be a surprise since confused.com belongs to EUI just as elephant/admiral/bell do. Perhaps it's worth to include this info in the main article: If you're going with any in said trio, use confused.com to get the best price.

Last year my wife (second driver) was under 24, so I would have expected this year to be significantly reduced from the initial year's £1170, however, we also had an accident (no injuries, £1550 claim) and consequently admiral mailed us a renewal offer of about £1270, a £100 more than last year.

So I went through the various comparison sites this year again as suggested on the page these comments relate to and the best I got was from elephant via confused at around £683.

I also added a third, experienced driver after the £683 quote and that brought the price down by a relatively insignificant £7 but since he's actually going to use the car every now and again I'm still delighted to see that that sort of thing makes the insurance cheaper rather than more expensive.
  • laburb
    laburb Posts: 8 Forumite
    I would recommend that you try searching the car insurance website you are using just to see how easy it is to get in touch with them.
    I ended up going with Budget, they have been a nightmare to deal with (however it is apparently all of my fault) despite me contacting them twice about my NCD and faxing it over too. I wanted to cancel but they were going to charge £75. Rock and a hard place. They don't understand that i am cancelling due to their inadequacies, poor customer service, lack of contact information on their website etc. :mad:
    Please dont use Budget.
  • Thank you MSE followed the Car insurance steps and watched the video had a slight mishap last year outcome was knock for knock but my premium went up considerably and my renewal was £594 after following your steps got it down to £238 fully comp and then went through topcashback and got £45 cash back bringing it down to £193 could not believe it thank you so much you saved me £401
  • andykn
    andykn Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I found, when searching a while ago, that the "Direct Line" brand of RBS' Insurance group ("not available on price comparison sites") used exactly the same quote generator as the "Churchill" brand of RBS' Insurance group.

So the quote Direct Line returned was the same, to the penny, as the quote Confused returned from Churchill.

So, if you have a quote through a comparison site from RBS Insurance via Churchill, is there any point in trying RBS Insurance via Direct Line?
  • m00nie
    m00nie Posts: 2,314 Forumite
    tigertech wrote: »
    Im so fed up of car insurance , it just feels like a massive con im 32 this year and passed my test 3 years ago ... i have 3 years no claim discount and each year i have found it hard to save money.

My first year cost 1100
    My second year cost 1000
    My third year 950

And how for my fourth year im being quoted around 1000 cheapest i have been able to find is with octagon at around 900. I thought the longer you have been driving / made no claims the more discount your supposed to get but that just doesent seem to happen for me.

The worst thing is my car is mk1 ford focus 1.6 1999 its not even worth 1000£ :(

tryed moneysupermarket compare the market confused aviva and direct line

haha been saying same for years.. started off people saying wait till you turn 21 it will get cheaper (it didnt) , then 25. 30.. now turned 40, another years NCD, just looked for quotes and still dearer than last year..

£500 for a peugeout 307.. no claims, no convictions. 7 yrs ncd..

just dont seem to go down...
  • JayM77
    JayM77 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 July 2012 at 10:56AM
    Hi All, I had to cancel my car Insurance with Tesco,they quoted me a final figure of £77 inc £30 cancellation fee...2 days later the letter arrives to confirm now saying I owe £115.So I phone to ask why and I am told it is because of an unpaid amount from last year.So I say well I was not told this at the time.They wont accept their mistake and I have to pay back the larger sum, which does not seem fair to me.So I now have someone ringing me back from their complaints department, but I am not going to hold my breath.Just think this is really bad customer service and wondered what you would do in this situation? Do I accept they have made a mistake and got me further into debt or do I challenge it somehow? any advice welcomed, and whatever the outcome I will not be going to Tesco Insurance again.

Apologies if i posted this in the wrong thread..was not sure
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport