free fresh yeast (merged)

Options

Comments

• ebsay2000
    ebsay2000 Posts: 6,571 Forumite
    Options
    JessW1986 wrote: »
    Actually, has anyone had a recent experience of receiving fresh yeast?

My ex-gf used to have plenty..........infact she used to make her own!! :eek:
  • part-timer
    part-timer Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I get fresh yeast every week from both Tesco and Asda (Eastbourne), depending upon which I do the weekly shop at. I usually ask one of the assistants near the bakery and off they toddle and usually come back with a huge lump for me. Very occassionally, they tell me they have run out, but this has only happened once or twice.
    MSE newbie and loving every minute :j
  • Ezmondino
    Ezmondino Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    Enilu wrote: »
    I've been getting free fresh yeast from ASDA for a number of years. Asked last week to be told they don't give it out any more, head office have told them not to do it. Asked if I could buy it and was told no. Anyone else had any recent experience of this with ASDA?? :huh:

I think it's more likely to depend on who you ask, as I know my mum got some from Asda recently. IIRC they shouldn't sell it to you anyway, can only give it away, as it's a living thing. However Sainsburys have always charged me for it, usually around 16p for 100grams!
  • Tightwadways
    Options
    snap! I've had it from Sainsburys before they charged 16p for around 100gm...but also had it from Tescos recently, a large sarnie bag with I'd say around 200gms in for free.
  • manch235ter
    manch235ter Posts: 985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ezmondino wrote: »
    I think it's more likely to depend on who you ask, as I know my mum got some from Asda recently. IIRC they shouldn't sell it to you anyway, can only give it away, as it's a living thing. However Sainsburys have always charged me for it, usually around 16p for 100grams!

Does that mean a florist has to give you free flowers because they are alive? Do Tesco/ASDA Get it free from their suplliers because its alive? Dont be silly! Just depends on how nice the assistant is!
    James thinks worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

If i help you...Please thank me! :beer:
  • rachQ
    rachQ Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I work in the bakery at Saffron Walden's Tesco and yes, we do give fresh yeast away for free. I usually give a good ol' hefty chunk too.

Apparently it's a traditional thing.
  • Ezmondino
    Ezmondino Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    Does that mean a florist has to give you free flowers because they are alive? Do Tesco/ASDA Get it free from their suplliers because its alive? Dont be silly! Just depends on how nice the assistant is!

I think you missed my point. ; )

From what I've read EU regulations say you are not allowed to buy a living organism: Yeast. That's why they give it away free.

Anyway, at the end of the day it's possible to get it. :)
  • Enilu
    Enilu Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options

Yes, I think it's all down to the assistant (I think she's German). She told me for a couple of weeks they didn't have any, then she said they didn't have any because it was evening and they had run out, and then followed it up on the final week with the "sorry not allowed any more" story.

I think I'll have to wait until she's on a different shift, or change my shopping day!

Thanks anyway
  • Itsahardlife
    Options
    Been reading all the posts on this very interesting thread and will be going to my local Tesco and Sains soon.
    Can somebody tell me though if making your own bread is actually cheaper then buying say basic supermarket sliced stuff.
    I can think of many pros for making your own but just wondered about the cost element. I usually buy the cheapest sliced load at about 65p from Sains, can you make your own bread for cheaper than that?
  • blackaqua
    blackaqua Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    Well lets say you got a bag of 1.5kg Hovis wholemeal flour from sainsburys for £1.06 plus yeast for 16p = £1.22 (not including a tiny bit of sugar and salt). = 41p a loaf (slightly smaller than a shop bought one, prob about 700g after cooking (you add water which brings it to 800g).

I get bills included in rent but you may want to add these on. If you go for the supermarket own bread flour then its going to work out closer to 30p.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure