The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 23 June 2017 at 5:06PM
    Hope you get your RAC payment sorted, patman. I've not been around much this past few weeks and totally took my eye off the financial ball whilst being totally drowning in major family 'issues':o. Discovered my car insurance has automatically renewed because I 'forgot' to cancel at the end of the year and shop around. Hasn't happened to me for years, I'm pretty savvy with renewals and switching as a rule. Could be worse I suppose, the premium hadn't gone up as much as I'd been dreading but it means my EF has taken a bit of an unexpected hit:(

I know you're a really handy sort of guy, patman, so I wonder whether you can advise on a potential expense on my car please. I was driving along on Wednesday when I got a warning message on the display that I had an 'Antipollution Fault'. It's an old car, the display is pretty basic and to be honest I haven't a clue where I put the manual (for safe keeping;)). I was very many miles from anywhere so kept on driving as needed to get home. The message went off but came back after I restarted the engine after each stop. Happened a few times that day. It hasn't done it at all today though, the first time I've used the car since then, so I wonder whether the hot weather was playing havoc with the display/electrics. I haven't a clue about the workings of cars:o, I just know how to drive one. Do you think it might have been anything serious? I dread going to a garage as it always means forking out big-time:mad:
  • foxyloxy11
    foxyloxy11 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Managed to send oddments to make total up to £400...then on 1st July my s/o will go in and make the total up to £450...nearly at my first goal of £650
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A bit late to the party but may I join in with this challenge?

My emergency fund stands at £350. After being stuck at £200-£300 for the last few months due to me dipping into it when things got tight I have managed to get it up to £350 this month with the help of a small bonus and insurance pay out.

I wont be feeding it much each month as I am also paying off debt but need some focus on my EF to keep my sticky mitts off it.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • PlaysNicely
    PlaysNicely Posts: 153 Forumite
    Hello there

I used to use MSE a lot but have recently needed to renew my focus on frugaldom as although we've made lots of positive and frugal-friendly changes to our life, it means that we don't have an actual emergency fund ready and waiting ... any emergency would mean dipping into the money we're living on, which is obviously less than ideal.

:o So, if I could join in with this challenge please, it would really help me to focus?

:T To get things started, a recent energy swap (via useful tools here in combination with TCB) has halved my direct debit for gas and leccy and bagged us £32 to get the emergency fund started! So £32 / 1000 and it's lovely to be back!
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #236 - £ 5 / £332.05 + 365 day penny challenge - £ 18.15 / £667.95; 52 weeks challenge = £183 / £1,378;Frugal Living 2018 #42 <£11,500
    :p
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    XSpender, you are #235 ad PlaysNicely, you are #236.

CBC it could well be that the heat effected one of the sensors that monitor either the exhaust gas leaving the car, or the fresh air entering the engine.

If the issue appears to have cleared by itself, then just keep an eye on it to see if it happens again if we have any extremely hot days.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• patman99 wrote: »
    CBC it could well be that the heat effected one of the sensors that monitor either the exhaust gas leaving the car, or the fresh air entering the engine.

If the issue appears to have cleared by itself, then just keep an eye on it to see if it happens again if we have any extremely hot days.

Thanks, patman:T. I thought you'd be the man to ask.

It's never happened again, just that extremely hot day, but I'm keeping an eye on it just in case;)

My MOT is due in mid July so I'll have a pre-MOT service done at the same garage and will mention it to them then. They're a good long-established family garage and don't rip people off:j
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    That reminds me, my car service is overdue.

Got contents insurance to pay next month but already budgeted for.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• foxyloxy11
    foxyloxy11 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    £50 in to take me to £450 :)
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July 2017 at 2:04PM
    Overspent on my food budget (AGAIN!!) so will need to work out what the damage is and how much money I've got available for the EF. :o

EDIT: Just checked and that would be a big fat NO!! :eek: :wall: :naughty:
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    #45 checking in

SO ready to go over on the next working day - this will bring the total up to £700 aka 70%.

keep on keeping on

Dobbi :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport