Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Comments

• jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So much for trying another browser - both IE & palemoon failing too (at the same point, but a different one to Chrome).

So much for being told by their helpline that they are open until 11PM - they must be quiet the last hour - the phone lines say closed - call back between whatever & 10PM.

Not impressed.
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have a very positive experience with M&S Telebanking. First Direct takes too much talking, explaining terms and conditions and questions.

I tend to prefer good online banking interfaces so I can avoid all the explaining and talking through the phone.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    darkidoe wrote: »
    I have a very positive experience with M&S Telebanking. First Direct takes too much talking, explaining terms and conditions and questions.

I tend to prefer good online banking interfaces so I can avoid all the explaining and talking through the phone.

M&S online banking is stuck in a timewarp. The login process is the most awful of any UK bank that I have come across, and I have accounts with literally all of them. Their app is an absolute joke, too. Granted, they have now texted people to say they will upgrade their app in a couple of months time, so may be they will enter the 21st century sometime soon.

They do have a lovely Regular Saver account though.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,105
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    colsten wrote: »
    M&S online banking is stuck in a timewarp. The login process is the most awful of any UK bank that I have come across, and I have accounts with literally all of them. Their app is an absolute joke, too. Granted, they have now texted people to say they will upgrade their app in a couple of months time, so may be they will enter the 21st century sometime soon.

They do have a lovely Regular Saver account though.

I await the 'upgraded' app with baited breath as I still haven't been able to install the current version.

And I loathe the widget needed for online log in. Fortunately I rarely need to use it.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,093
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    M&S online banking. The login process is the most awful of any UK bank that I have come across, and I have accounts with literally all of them.

I really can't agree with you here WADR.

Username, which you can 'save' - EMA
    favourite city or country
    longish press on the reader
    press out a 4-digit PIN
    type the six figures in the box provided

20 seconds, 25 at a pinch?
  • schiff
    Forumite
    badger09 wrote: »
    I await the 'upgraded' app with baited breath as I still haven't been able to install the current version.

Love that :)

I've read that dragons have baited breath.
  • colsten
    Forumite
    schiff wrote: »
    I really can't agree with you here WADR.

Username, which you can 'save' - EMA
    favourite city or country
    longish press on the reader
    press out a 4-digit PIN
    type the six figures in the box provided

20 seconds, 25 at a pinch?

Who on earth in their right mind would force their customers to use that hideous number generating gadget that you can't even hook onto a key ring? No need to answer.
  • schiff
    Forumite
    Who on earth in their right mind would force their customers to use that hideous number generating gadget that you can't even hook onto a key ring? No need to answer.

OK then, don't :)
  • schiff
    Forumite

Just to add something to that. The gadget is a nuisance admittedly but I don't think many people would use this account as a full current account if they felt that way. I opened mine for the switching bonus and the regular saver, and only keep £50 or so in it. The mandatory £1000 deposit goes in every month and comes out instantly with standing orders to regular savers. The obligatory two direct debits go out and a miscellaneous bit of interest on an ISA goes in.

I check the account maybe five times a month, at home so there's no need to cart the gadget out of the house! The main issue is making sure that I have a minimum of £250 or so in the account when the RS deposit is due.
  • colsten
    Forumite
    schiff wrote: »
    Just to add something to that. The gadget is a nuisance admittedly but I don't think many people would use this account as a full current account if they felt that way. I opened mine for the switching bonus and the regular saver, and only keep £50 or so in it. The mandatory £1000 deposit goes in every month and comes out instantly with standing orders to regular savers. The obligatory two direct debits go out and a miscellaneous bit of interest on an ISA goes in.

I check the account maybe five times a month, at home so there's no need to cart the gadget out of the house! The main issue is making sure that I have a minimum of £250 or so in the account when the RS deposit is due.
    That is all fine and dandy and not totally dissimilar to what I did/do (except I only log in once a month and certainly don't keep £50 in the current account), but to call it a Top Bank Account would be rather far-fetched.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback