Anyone used the Shpock app?

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    techno79 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd add my experience. I only heard about shpock a couple of months ago after seeing an advert on the London tube. I used to sell odd things I no longer wanted on ebay but I had more than my fair share of bad experience. But really due to lack of decent alternatives, I had to persevere. Then I tried gumtree and I had limited success with that but still wasn't as easy to sell stuff. After a string of bad experiences on ebay, I decided to boycott it. Their huge fees and crappy experience as a private seller just made it completely annoying.

I'm so pleased to have found shpock now as I've managed to list a ton of stuff that didn't sell on ebay or gumtree. And they've all sold reasonably easily and quickly. I've even gotten my sister on it who doesn't live in a big city and she's managed to sell stuff too.

I can truly see the downfall of ebay now that a reasonable alternative has come along. Ebay have milked their users far too much and I will be happy to see them struggle.

I don't really see SHpock in the same area as eBay, I do sell on Shpock but only unwanted items I have lying around, it certainly doesn't seem to fit the bill for my business sales at all. The majority of eBay business is now the truly business sellers who pay for shops or listing fees , I suspect they can easily afford to lose private sellers with one off items who don't even pay to list.

For me it is a good way of getting rid of larger unwieldy items that don't really fit on eBay due to needing collection, I can't imagine being able to list 500 + business lots on there with International postal options and a compliant business returns policy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • techno79
    techno79 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I don't really see SHpock in the same area as eBay, I do sell on Shpock but only unwanted items I have lying around, it certainly doesn't seem to fit the bill for my business sales at all. The majority of eBay business is now the truly business sellers who pay for shops or listing fees , I suspect they can easily afford to lose private sellers with one off items who don't even pay to list.

For me it is a good way of getting rid of larger unwieldy items that don't really fit on eBay due to needing collection, I can't imagine being able to list 500 + business lots on there with International postal options and a compliant business returns policy.

True, I forgot about the business sellers which probably keep ebay going. I guess I had more pent up hatred for ebay than I realised ;-)

I still have a little solace knowing that my miniscule (and probably many other ebay private sellers) have taken their efforts to shpock :-D
  • lnesbitt
    lnesbitt Posts: 173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had someone send me a message saying they were interested in one of my items, but I have no idea how to reply.
    When I click on the message, it takes me to the item page, but her comment isn't there. Does that mean it's been deleted? Or is it somewhere magical that I don't know how to access?
  • techno79
    Options
    lnesbitt wrote: »
    I had someone send me a message saying they were interested in one of my items, but I have no idea how to reply.
    When I click on the message, it takes me to the item page, but her comment isn't there. Does that mean it's been deleted? Or is it somewhere magical that I don't know how to access?

They could have sent you a message in one of two ways, either it's a public message or they can send a private message along with an offer (entering 0 for the amount, is a work around just to send a private message without making an offer). Both ways will show the message up in the details of the item you are selling. Sometimes you have to click on a little label to expand out the details of the messages. Should be straightforward though. Don't know if you can delete messages but it's possible in case they sent a message mistakenly.
  • lnesbitt
    lnesbitt Posts: 173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    techno79 wrote: »
    They could have sent you a message in one of two ways, either it's a public message or they can send a private message along with an offer (entering 0 for the amount, is a work around just to send a private message without making an offer). Both ways will show the message up in the details of the item you are selling. Sometimes you have to click on a little label to expand out the details of the messages. Should be straightforward though. Don't know if you can delete messages but it's possible in case they sent a message mistakenly.

Thanks Techno79. The message isn't in the details of the item, so I can only assume she's found a way to delete!
  • techno79
    Options
    lnesbitt wrote: »
    Thanks Techno79. The message isn't in the details of the item, so I can only assume she's found a way to delete!

I just looked in the interface, and you can indeed delete your own questions/messages. So that's probably what has happened.
  • jbond
    jbond Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've said it before on here I think, the degree of success you're gonna get is going to be entirely dependent on WHAT you're selling.
    I've got stuff on there that I've been trying to get rid of for a while, and nothing so far!
  • techno79
    Options
    jbond wrote: »
    I've said it before on here I think, the degree of success you're gonna get is going to be entirely dependent on WHAT you're selling.
    I've got stuff on there that I've been trying to get rid of for a while, and nothing so far!

True. But also where you are as well. I'm in London so there are a huge number of people there who are potential buyers. If you live in some remote village then you're less likely to find a buyer unless you have users who are looking for a very wide distance radius.
  • abudabi
    abudabi Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just as the title says really... anyone used it to sell anything? Good/bad experiences?
    Yes I was conned I sold a bike rack tow bar carrier without key I stated this on advert
    2 burly men came round and put straight on their car locking it in the process then proceeded to say they didn't want it ? I couldn't get it off and told them it was their fault for locking it he refused to pay up I should have called police but just told themto take it
  • techno79
    Options
    abudabi wrote: »
    Yes I was conned I sold a bike rack tow bar carrier without key I stated this on advert
    2 burly men came round and put straight on their car locking it in the process then proceeded to say they didn't want it ? I couldn't get it off and told them it was their fault for locking it he refused to pay up I should have called police but just told themto take it

To be fair, this is nothing to do with Shpock and could have happened no matter how you sold the item.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback