MoneySaving Poll: Is it time to ditch 1p and 2p coins?

124»

Comments

• dachse
    dachse Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2015 at 1:42PM
    To those old f4rts on here that think that abolition of the copper coins will cause prices to go up you must have very short or selective memories. You are obviously old enough to remember when we had the halfpenny, lots of things were priced to 99.5p (sorry there's no easy way to display half as a fraction) and what happened when the half penny was withdrawn? - Let me remind you; prices went DOWN to 99p.
    This is more likely to be the case now with prices ending in 99p going down to ending in 95p.

Also to answer an earlier posters comment that charities may lose out as a lot of people put their odd coppers in the collection tins at till points then I think those people will more than likely be putting their odd 5p coins in the tins instead. I know I would. So the charities may even do better out of it.

So the bottom line is YES please dump the copper coins ASAP. More trouble than they are worth.

PS: I'm also old enough to remember £:s:d but I haven't got my head stuck in the sand.
  • Retailers will always try to make things look cheaper so doing away with copper coins will result in £x.99 becoming £x.95. So prices would come down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure