PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rent liability and moving out

I resigned my tenancy agreement for a further 12 months at the start of May 2017. At the start of June 2017 i got laid off work without any prior warning. That day i contacted the estate agents and my landlord to inform them accordingly. They agreed to advertise the property and once they had found a suitable new tenant i would no longer be liable and id be out of my contract.

Fast forward to 16/06/2017 and i had a viewing on the property where a couple really wanted the property and started to go ahead with everything. They were vacating their current property on 21/06/2017 so they would need to be able to move in for that time. Now i do not drive so i had to hire a removal van and people to help me move back to my parents. I did this and finished the move on 19/06/2017 and handed the keys back to the estate agents.

All going smoothly, thinking i had washed my of the property and i was due to receive my deposit once the new tenants move in. Today though 26/06/2017 i get a call from the estate to agents to say the new tenants have pulled out and will not be taking on the property, as such i am once again liable for the property.

Is this legal? Do i have to continue paying the rent? Surely once i have handed over the keys it is quite literally out of my hands and nothing to do with me anymore.

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    what evidence do you have of this early termination arrangement?
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    All depends on what you have in writing
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I resigned my tenancy agreement for a further 12 months at the start of May 2017. At the start of June 2017 i got laid off work without any prior warning. That day i contacted the estate agents and my landlord to inform them accordingly. They agreed to advertise the property and once they had found a suitable new tenant i would no longer be liable and id be out of my contract.

Fast forward to 16/06/2017 and i had a viewing on the property where a couple really wanted the property and started to go ahead with everything. They were vacating their current property on 21/06/2017 so they would need to be able to move in for that time. Now i do not drive so i had to hire a removal van and people to help me move back to my parents. I did this and finished the move on 19/06/2017 and handed the keys back to the estate agents.

All going smoothly, thinking i had washed my of the property and i was due to receive my deposit once the new tenants move in. Today though 26/06/2017 i get a call from the estate to agents to say the new tenants have pulled out and will not be taking on the property, as such i am once again liable for the property.

Is this legal? Do i have to continue paying the rent? Surely once i have handed over the keys it is quite literally out of my hands and nothing to do with me anymore.

As yet they haven't found a suitable new tenant so I'd guess you're still liable.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It depends on the precise agreement (hopefully in writing) you had with the EA/LL regarding

a) the general terms under which an Early Surrender would be agreed, and
    b) the precise commitment regarding this couple.

Please quote the relevant letters, emails etc in full.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,585
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I resigned my tenancy agreement for a further 12 months at the start of May 2017. - so you were committing to pay rent for the next 12 months.
    The LL doesn't have to accept anything less.
    At the start of June 2017 i got laid off work without any prior warning. - sorry to hear that That day i contacted the estate agents and my landlord to inform them accordingly. They agreed to advertise the property and once they had found a suitable new tenant i would no longer be liable and id be out of my contract. - that's nice of them. Was this in writing? Sounds conditional on it being relet.

Fast forward to 16/06/2017 and i had a viewing on the property where a couple really wanted the property and started to go ahead with everything. They were vacating their current property on 21/06/2017 so they would need to be able to move in for that time. - ok, viewings and negotiations are part of the process, but you don't suggest anything's finalised yet.. Now i do not drive so i had to hire a removal van and people to help me move back to my parents. - irrelevant. I did this and finished the move on 19/06/2017 and handed the keys back to the estate agents. - did the estate agent ask for the keys back on a certain date and state they were terminating the tenancy in writing?

All going smoothly, thinking i had washed my of the property and i was due to receive my deposit once the new tenants move in. Today though 26/06/2017 i get a call from the estate to agents to say the new tenants have pulled out and will not be taking on the property, as such i am once again liable for the property. - did you ever stop being liable? You signed a 12 month contract and the EA kindly readvertised etc, but haven't had someone else confirmed / move in yet.

Is this legal? Do i have to continue paying the rent? Surely once i have handed over the keys it is quite literally out of my hands and nothing to do with me anymore. you handing over the keys is an action on your part. You are free to request them back during your tenancy. You can only terminate the contract if / when both parties agree.

Sounds like the agent/LL's agreement to terminate the contract was conditional on finding another tenant to rent the place.. i.e. actually move in and pay rent. That hasn't happened yet. I suggest you focus on advertising as well and recommending prospective tenants to the agents, or continue living there and take in a lodger to pay some of the rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure