PPI on store cards? Quick, free and easy check via Santander

If you had store cards from shops such as Debenhams, Toys R Us, Principles etc pre-2001, they may have had PPI included and you can confirm via one quick free phone call!

All you need to do is call Santander's Complaints Department on 08001712171.

Then press Options 1 > 1 > 1 > 1 > 3

Listen to pre-recorded message re PPI questionnaire.

Hold to be put through to advisor.

Give your name and date of birth and they'll check to see if you had any store cards with PPI.

You'll also need to confirm the address the card(s) would have been registered to.

You'll be asked to confirm why you're complaining re PPI, for example if you didn't request it or weren't made aware it was included.

If you have they'll complete the application there and then and a decision will be made within eight weeks if you are entitled to compensation.

Plus, as it's via Santander you won't need to pay a third party company a percentage admin fee :)

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,553
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's certainly good to avoid third party CMCs who will take loads of any refund but it is worth reminding people that complaint reasons really need to be factual and evidence based. A claim you didn't request PPI is easily disproved - why didn't you complain about it after the first statement? Saying you weren't aware it was included is also easily disproved - you signed for it and it was on every statement.

Use facts such as being unemployed / part time (under 16 hours) or having suitable work benefits that would help if you were unable to work for a period not speculative unprovable stuff
  • armybike
    armybike Posts: 180 Forumite
    So, it's taken a few weeks to be processed but now in receipt of a settlement offer of just under £400.

Well that's better than a kick up the bum! :)
  • On the phone now and had PPI on 2 cards Debenhams and Topshop, didnt even know i had it on them. Fingers crossed i get something back.

Thanks for the heads up
  • armybike
    armybike Posts: 180 Forumite
    On the phone now and had PPI on 2 cards Debenhams and Topshop, didnt even know i had it on them. Fingers crossed i get something back.

Thanks for the heads up

Also got my fingers crossed for you :D
  • armybike wrote: »
    Also got my fingers crossed for you :D

Also kicked me up the butt, to go all out for Natwest today. I had PPI on a CC and a loan! also went for the Adv Gold account charges as never used them and only took as they threatened to take my OD away otherwise. Fingers crossed for a payday coming :j
  • Quintet
    Quintet Posts: 5 Forumite
    I phoned the same Santander number and the lady in customer services stated she could see that I had insurance on a store card account and said she could fill in my complaint for me. Yesterday, I received a letter from Santander saying that my claim was being denied as they cannot find any insurance on the store card account! Errrrr.........how can that be??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Errrrr....could be that it was set up but you didn't pay any premiums?
  • Quintet
    Quintet Posts: 5 Forumite
    No, as the letter states they cannot find a policy at all, yet I had already been told by the Santander ppi helpline that a policy could be seen against a Laura Ashley card set up in 1991, which was under GE Capital at the time.

The point I'm questioning is how one Santander employee can clearly see the policy, yet their Head of Historical Complaints and Fulfilment is strangely unable to locate it!?
  • Just had a pseudo rejection from Santander regarding debenhams card ppi complaint they have asked for more info and proof of employment covered sick pay and proof of savings (I don't have proof it was my first job so don't have the contract anymore - 17 yrs ago) and my £6000 savings were cash. They have completely disregarded my primary reason for complaint that I was told I had to have it by an obviously commission hungry sales assistant at the till point and wouldn't let me progress with the application without ppi as I was 18??? No questions were asked regarding my circumstances/eligibility/cool off etc as is was a none issue - I apparently HAD to have it. Bit confused how that wasn't mis selling. Any advice guys? Loz
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    You can ask then to reconsider (some rejection letters have been sent out in error due to the sheer backlog) or as with any final written response (if it was one), you have 6 months to refer the matter to the Ombudsman who might ask Santander to think again. You can do this via a form on the FOS site or call them.

With all of these historic liabilities from the then Arcadia Group, Santander are paying most re store cards from Debenhams, Top Man and so on, but some have been paid by Genworth (the underwriter) after being rejected by Santander.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure