Job Seekers Allowance

My wife use to be on incapacity benefit until it was removed. use to work before leaving due to tumor. (not life threatening ) She is fully up to date with national insurance contributions. Would she be able to claim job seekers allowance?

She has tried to find work but as yet no joy. I work 40 hrs +. I think that after paying your stamp etc she should be able to claim.

Comments

• Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    My wife use to be on incapacity benefit until it was removed. use to work before leaving due to tumor. (not life threatening ) She is fully up to date with national insurance contributions. Would she be able to claim job seekers allowance?

She has tried to find work but as yet no joy. I work 40 hrs +. I think that after paying your stamp etc she should be able to claim.

The National Insurance Credits that are given when claiming benefits, count towards the state pension but not towards JSA. When did she last actually pay National Insurance?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Think the OP said his wife was up to date with 'contributions' not credits.

Do you know for sure that she is up to date with contributions, it is covered byu the last two full tax years.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 December 2012 at 11:34PM
    If she claims before the end of this month, she will be assessed on her NI contributions for 2009-10 and 2010-11.

If she delays claiming until January 2013, she will be assessed on her contributions for 2010-11 and 2011-12.

So she needs to time her application depending on which periods she has the right NI contributions for. NI contributions made outside these periods are irrelevant.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/benefits_s/benefits_benefits_introduction_s/national_insurance_contributions_and_benefits.htm#contribution-based_jobseeker%E2%80%99s_allowance_and_national_insurance_contributions
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    Think the OP said his wife was up to date with 'contributions' not credits.

Do you know for sure that she is up to date with contributions, it is covered byu the last two full tax years.

He did, but I thought he must have misunderstood if she's been on IB for a longish period.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I wonder why the OP says her IB was removed. Would the case be that she should have gone from IB to ESA. Just wondering
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Hi and thank you for replys. My wife has applied for JSA (previously, got a memory like a sive she said :( ) but was turned down. I don't know why but there you go. She was on IB for a long time.
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Hi and thank you for replys. My wife has applied for JSA (previously, got a memory like a sive she said :( ) but was turned down. I don't know why but there you go. She was on IB for a long time.

You do not give enough information to get an informed response - when did her IB claim end, and has she worked since?
  • IB ended in 2007. Has had 3 jobs since totalling in 6 months work for all 3 jobs.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Thank you for your e-mail

There are a number of options that at this stage your wife may wish to consider. It appears from your e-mail that your wife considers herself fit and able to work and if this is the case and her contributions are up to date it may be that she could claim a contribution based JSA. You do mention that she had been turned down for this in a prior application but did not say why.

Other factors that may be considered is whether your wife feels able to work and whether she has considered a benefit such as Employment and Support Allowance if she feels not well enough to do so.

Further details may be needed for us to be able to provide accurate information and guidance and we would therefore recommend that if your wife is able to do so she could attend her local Bureau to discuss this further or alternatively contact our telephone advice line on 08444 77 10 10

Kind regards
    Birminghan CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
  • Thank you for the reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport