PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Awesome idea GINNY, would that make you a bunny girl? Ducks and runs, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19842401

Here's what we need to prep for next - cut down your elect consumption, try to find ways to do things without it. Try to work out old-fashioned or solar alternatives - I can't cos my OH is useless and we're in a HA house - because the elect bills are going to go much higher whether there are cuts or not.
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Mad-Frog wrote: »
    Would a car matt help me get my car out of the car park when it is snowed in?

Will definitely invest in a snow shovel thanks

If your wheels are just spinning (ice or mud) car mats under the front edge of the drive wheels can provide enough traction to get you moving.
    Lidl have a compact extending shovel on next weeks promotions.
    nuatha I don't know what a pitkun is nor the other :D off to google, should be embarrassed as I have been to Belize and Guatemala where it was all explained to me

The long calender is Olmec and was adopted by the Mayans. The easy equivalent idea is we count years as years, decades, centuries and millennium (though I've no idea if we have anything larger) A b'ak'tun is roughly 400 years.
    If memory serves correctly the 21/12/12 thing is based on one defaced stone prophecy and two records which state the third age lasted 13 b'ak'tun, we are currently in the 4th age, and December will see the end of the 12th b'ak'tun. I predict that in 390 years time the same prophecy will rear its head as we near the end of the 13th b'ak'tun.

Amazing what you learn when your curious (in this case about the back story to a roleplaying game Shadowrun)
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Right Mar now thats a good challenge cutting down on the ellecy. I am quite frugal but could be more I am sure. Need to drum it into Ds as he leaves a trail of lights on as he goes upstairs and while the lights dont use much its the fact that it all adds up.

I am on the cheapest supplier there is and check it regularly. I love it when someone stops me in the SM from an energy company and I say that cos they cannot believe me and have to check then look embarrassed :D

Going to switch pc off now.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    My elect is under £5 a week - but we spend a fortune on coal instead lol. I don't grudge the coal because the house is warm (often too warm) and the hot water is always boiling. But I somehow do grudge laying the elect bill .. the price of Calor gas (for cooking) bugs me now as well since Tonsils in Greece mentioned a 47kg cylinder costs her 20 euros and it costs me £69!!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    simmed wrote: »
    Amazing, I wouldn't think there were preppers on MSE. Are you guys registered on prepared 2 survive?

ah now that would be telling OPSEC and all that...:cool:
    ;):D

Had my leccy and gas bill in this morning :eek: summer bill same as spring not good was hoping the DD's would go down a bit but at least they should stay the same.

mad frog there was a great thread on here a couple of weeks ago re car kit and I picked up a couple of new ideas from it will dig it out later for you

Parents have just arrived with piles of shopping :A see you later peeps XXX
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    simmed wrote: »
    Amazing, I wouldn't think there were preppers on MSE. Are you guys registered on prepared 2 survive?

we're definitely here :D bookmarked P2S for a look through later. Are you a member there?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    My elect is under £5 a week - but we spend a fortune on coal instead lol. I don't grudge the coal because the house is warm (often too warm) and the hot water is always boiling. But I somehow do grudge laying the elect bill .. the price of Calor gas (for cooking) bugs me now as well since Tonsils in Greece mentioned a 47kg cylinder costs her 20 euros and it costs me £69!!

I seem to be being charged £5.25 a week but for that all I seem to do is run one energy saving light overnight, a DAB Radio and a pc. An odd quick hot meal(not every day)Perhaps a washing machine once every three or four weeks. Seems a lot for very little use but I suspect most of that is standing charges.

They were charging £10 a month for gas but until I see what the new supplier says I am using that may be too little or too much.

The previous supplier was charging £4.50 per week but most days I try to avoid using the CH or heating water so baths are not every day and often its a quick strip wash. When I do use it, it seems silly not to heat the house rather than just the water.

If my income reduces still further even that £9.75 will seem too much and as you say it will increase even being that frugal. And they keep saying don't be cold in winter use your heating so you don't affect your health.

There would be no slack for treats or replacement or repairing of items or going anywhere but I could survive on approx £52 a week but if I was not helped by the state at all and no one knows what the future holds with changes coming in and had to pay full rent, council tax, bedroom tax(and even in a smaller property the savings would be very little)I would have to find approx £120 so that's £172 per week altogether and absolutely no slack.

So I know that would need more than that and I cannot think of any jobs around here that pay a living wage or would offer enough hours or that I am well enough to do so the future does worry me as I am sure it worries many whatever their circumstances, carers, the ill who often have conditions that change daily or will get worse, the unemployed, those who work on a low wage/minimum wage but worry that their job is not secure.

There is something wrong when many who work still have to try and claim help of some kind. This is a worry whether you are single or a family.

It's a scary world...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am thinking about getting a device to store enough electricity to run a lightbulb, recharge devices and so on. I don`t know what to look out for, I don`t want normal batteries but one of those hulking multi use devices that can even jump start a car. I could do with some advice particularly if you have one. I know I am wanting to prepare beyond very temporary measures now as I have just heard the news about major power cuts in future. We have been notified of a six hour cut next week for starters I don`t want a generator
  • Hi all
    I just wanted to share with you lovely peeps that i ordered myself a dehydrator today woohoo:j x (one from the rainforest place) its not an expensive one but will at least let me practice and play and store some blasted runner beans that are currently taking over the garden.

Today I have sorted out some of our camping gear in the garage, so that it is easier to get hold off. Also moved one of the cookers into the attic as its not been unheard off to have so much snow that I can barely see the garage door:D.
    I like the idea of using up some stores in Oct to save money, im off to have a wee look see.
    Hugs to all
    WLL x
    p.s. Ginny, I like to think your never too old to wear a corset (and not the Miss Mary of Sweden type :rotfl:).
    Moving towards a life that is more relaxed and kinder to the environment (embracing my inner hippy:D) .:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure