Do you have to declare new medical conditions after you've got travel insurance?

Hi,

This is my first post and I could only find 'new thread' in this section, so I'm probably posting this in the worng place - apologies!

So here goes:

In April I bought an annual travel insurance policy with StaySure Insurance (by looking for good priced insurance through MSE). Last week I received an email, and today a letter from the company. They say that I need to let them know if our medical history has changed since buying the policy, and if so, they will charge me for updating their records. If I don't tell them any changes (including the fact that we've had dr's appts or started taking new tablets), our insurance is now void.

Is this normal or are they taking the mickey?

Thanks!

Comments

• helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    It is usually in the small print that you need to inform them if it is a significant illness, or something that may impact your ability to travel eg if you have a heart attack, stroke, thrombosis etc.
    Not if you have a cold and take antibiotics .

If you have had a significant illness since taking out the policy, you can contact them and either pay additional cover, or agree that you would not be covered for a claim based on the significant illness.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    helcat26 wrote: »
    Not if you have a cold and take antibiotics .

A cold is a virus. Anribiotics will do nothing.
    Hi,

This is my first post and I could only find 'new thread' in this section, so I'm probably posting this in the worng place - apologies!

So here goes:

In April I bought an annual travel insurance policy with StaySure Insurance (by looking for good priced insurance through MSE). Last week I received an email, and today a letter from the company. They say that I need to let them know if our medical history has changed since buying the policy, and if so, they will charge me for updating their records. If I don't tell them any changes (including the fact that we've had dr's appts or started taking new tablets), our insurance is now void.

Is this normal or are they taking the mickey?

Thanks!

Very normal. If your condition improves or worsens, you need to tell them as it will affect the cover they provide. Even if you visit a doctor and meds are changed, you need to let them know, as this can change your risk profile.

They cannot insure someone if they don't know the insurable risk. Its that simple.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is a bit tedious, but whenever I have rung up to declare anything, it has just been noted and there has been no extra charge.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is a bit tedious, but whenever I have rung up to declare anything, it has just been noted and there has been no extra charge.

That is my experinence as well,
    I have a yearly policy and they dont seem to care what happens between renewals as long as you update them at renewal so they can provide the correct cover the following year
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    OK I was being hasty in my reply. A secondary respiratory infection requiring antibiotics!

I had a pulmonary embolism and they gave me the choice of paying an additional £60 or not being covered for issues resulting from it. That was Columbus travel if I am allowed to say that.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    photome wrote: »
    That is my experinence as well,
    I have a yearly policy and they dont seem to care what happens between renewals as long as you update them at renewal so they can provide the correct cover the following year

Let's imagine that you had been diagnosed with a new significant condition (say type 1 diabetes just as an example) which later caused you to be taken ill on holiday and need hospital treatment. Your insurer wouldn't pay out for that treatment if you hadn't declared the new diagnosis before leaving for your trip.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    katejo wrote: »
    Let's imagine that you had been diagnosed with a new significant condition (say type 1 diabetes just as an example) which later caused you to be taken ill on holiday and need hospital treatment. Your insurer wouldn't pay out for that treatment if you hadn't declared the new diagnosis before leaving for your trip.

Are you sure?

If it's a yearly policy and you don't have the condition at the start of the policy

I thought the same as you ,but when I called to tell my insurance company of a new treatment they didn't want to know until renewal

Maybe I misunderstood though
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    With every annual policy we've had there's been a condition that we inform them of any major change.

That doesn't mean the flu, obviously. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • photome wrote: »
    Are you sure?

If it's a yearly policy and you don't have the condition at the start of the policy

I thought the same as you ,but when I called to tell my insurance company of a new treatment they didn't want to know until renewal

I wouldn't like to take the chance would you?
  • photome wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Read your policy. I know mine explicitly states "After you have paid for this policy, you must tell us if your health changes".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure