Everything is possible if you try!

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    There are ALWAYS options. I do wonder whether you will find yourself always wondering whether you gave up on it too soon if you're too quick to look for an alternative - but the flip side is that if you weren't particularly happy with the previous job it may be as simple as you're not suited to the company, in which case looking for an alternative might be the best thing. It's only time and a pro's and con's list that will tell you though! What is it you dread about the drive to the other site? Are there alternative routes that will make it better? Can you put together some music play lists that will help it pass easier maybe?
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    For the first time in over a week, I've actually turned on the computer so I can actually do this properly.
    Fancy phone stuff is all very well, but I find typing longer replies a little tedious, and hence haven't really interacted much. So here it is, T&K reporting in!

EH - Probably do need to give the new thing a bit more of a chance, but at the moment even just thinking about it is inducing an anxiety kind of state. I've been with the company for 16 years, so it's probably not me being unsuited to them. I've seen them do to other people what they've done in this instance in terms of moving people around, changing from having site based to a central team of whatever. I've just never been senior/had the right kind of job for it to apply to me.
    I get quite bad vertigo and dizziness, and a visual sensory overload, which is why the distance driving is not so good for me. I didn't drive for about 10 months because of it at one point. Before I had this condition it wouldn't have bothered me, but now I find driving so mentally exhausting that I struggle in the evenings and/or the following day.

Having a meeting tomorrow about possible p/t evening thing ... might just bring in enough to help get the debts down if I can manage to do it, though second job would get taxed loads.

Not doing amazingly at spend-free days. Many of these are little things, like buying a pint of milk when I went to a friends house (they have teabags in stock, but don't actually drink it themselves, so I take milk).
    What I feel quite good/virtuous about? Had friends around to play boardgames - they got takeaway, Kitty and I had already stuffed our faces with stew. Investing in a large pot for stew a couple of months ago is really paying off, I can make us a weeks worth buy doing one lot of cooking (even with Kitty's double helpings!) Might have to do a different flavour next week. I think Tuscan bean stew is going to be next in the pot - lovely and warming now the weather has turned cold.
    I still need clean/valet my old car to sell now that work have given me the hire/company car. I think I should be able to get £800-900 which can cover some debt payments and a little christmas cheer!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • Plush
    Plush Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Not doing amazingly at spend-free days. Many of these are little things, like buying a pint of milk when I went to a friends house (they have teabags in stock, but don't actually drink it themselves, so I take milk).

They don't have to be spend-free, right? they can be low spend. I plan spend free days too, but there is always something - and it's usually to do with my child. Like today - ran out of bread yesterday. I don't eat bread but DD does, so I can't claim an NSD but I'm only spending money on fresh bread today.
    current credit debt Jan-2018 £12000 @ 0% // initial debt Sep-2017 £14200
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    Very true, Plush! Now that I'm getting myself back together again, I shall try and plan to be a little more organised (e.g. I have milk at home, I could have decanted some for use at friends house).

It's a friend's birthday today (being celebrated at a sushi place), so I will go and be social for a bit, but driving, so no drinking, and my plan is to just have a mini platter, which keeps costs down.
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Absolutely right - I blew a NSD earlier in the week for the sake of £2 - I needed toothpaste and hair conditioner, and remembered this at exactly the point where I was walking past £Land. Both were NEEDED - not just wanted, and I made sure I looked for the toothpaste tube with the most in it. (125ml rather than 100 or 75) as well. Sometimes it's the small wins!

Good plan to take milk to your friend's next time though - or if you have to buy some, remember to grab the bottle and bring back with you, it can always go into the freezer if you don't need it right away.

I also worked for a company for many years who essentially behaved quite badly to people. I watched them to do it to many others over the course of ten years, hating the fact that speaking up about it was made impossible, and of course eventually as I should have been able to predict, eventually it was my turn. Giving my notice in and getting out was the best thing I ever did - I have absolutely NO regrets about it, the only thing I regret was that I didn't do it soon enough.

Good luck for the meeting about the P/T/evening job, but remember to balance off the loss of quality of life against the financial gain - especially in the light of the MH stuff.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Hope the meeting goes well. Those essential spends are frustrating sometimes. I had to buy fuel today that I needed, but was frustrated it ruined a perfectly good NSD!
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    Thank you all for assurances :)
    It does help!
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    T&Ks things to think about:
    - whether to take on p/t evening reception 1 or 2 evenings a week. Bit of extra to help get the debts down vs. brain weasels!
    - I've got a load of jewellery making things. Make stuff and Etsy for a bit of extra money.
    - Re-evaluate spendings.
    - sell car as unnecessary outgoings in current work situation
    - yoga ... benefits (MH & physical) vs cost.
    - menu variety for frugal eating!
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Good luck with the thinking. Sometimes writing down the pros and cons might help you see it for what it is.
    Anxiety can be a huge enemy for you, and certainly when it comes to over thinking things x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • 117pauline
    Options
    I have my menu ideas on a spreadsheet so it doesn't take too long to make my menu plans. I have a sheet for summer, one for winter and one for Christmas and boxing day too.

This way I don't have to come up with ideas each time.

How do you feel about the reception job now? I was wondering how it might work with your long commute?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business