Low Carb Diets Support Thread

Comments

• kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    If you go on a calorie control diet, say you're aiming for 1800 calories a day, and you overshoot the mark by say 250 calories. The theory goes that over the next few days you can pull back those calories. Your calorie count at the end of the week hits the mark

Can you do the same on a LCHF diet?

Say eg you're aiming for 70% fat; 20 protein; and 10 carb and you maybe overshoot by a few percentages for a few days can you cut back on your carbs for the rest of the week and end up with the percentages you've set yourself? Or is the LCHF not just as simple as that
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes that`s fine.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • kah22 wrote: »
    If you go on a calorie control diet, say you're aiming for 1800 calories a day, and you overshoot the mark by say 250 calories. The theory goes that over the next few days you can pull back those calories. Your calorie count at the end of the week hits the mark

Can you do the same on a LCHF diet?

Say eg you're aiming for 70% fat; 20 protein; and 10 carb and you maybe overshoot by a few percentages for a few days can you cut back on your carbs for the rest of the week and end up with the percentages you've set yourself? Or is the LCHF not just as simple as that
    Technically, you can so long as your carb intake isn't at the top end to begin with.
    If you were to normally eat 30% carbs, but then occasionally eat 60%, then the diet won't work as it should because you will come out of ketosis.
  • Morning All

I lost 3st 9lbs a four years ago, kept most of it off for a couple of years and then gradually edged it back up! Keep trying to get back into it but think I try too hard with it and then fall off the wagon. Decide to relax more with it and not beat myself up, hopefully then some of the changes will become more embedded and sustainable.

Three challenges I have in particular are eating lunch when I am on the road with work, everything seems to involve bread and when I'm not home its difficult to do when you cant prepare yourself. Always nuts to fall back on but I need to think more on this. Another issue is exercising on little carbs, makes me feel ill. Lastly the alcohol demon. Trying to have more dry nights than those I have a drink. Need to look at better options.

Bought Paul McKenna's how to give up sugar and Tom Kerridge's Dopamine books recently. Have just ordered almond flour, really looking forward to trying the fathead nachos.

HHx
  • pamsdish
    From what I have read, don`t go in myself, McDonalds and Burger king are quite happy to do bunless burgers, supermarket hot roast chickens, keep a pack of serviettes in the car, salad bar, grab a pack of smoked mackerel, or smoked salmon, I buy the trimming packs, quite acceptable, olives from the deli counter, don`t forget cheese. Boiled eggs, unshelled will keep for a day or so.
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    pamsdish wrote: »
    From what I have read, don`t go in myself, McDonalds and Burger king are quite happy to do bunless burgers, supermarket hot roast chickens, keep a pack of serviettes in the car, salad bar, grab a pack of smoked mackerel, or smoked salmon, I buy the trimming packs, quite acceptable, olives from the deli counter, don`t forget cheese. Boiled eggs, unshelled will keep for a day or so.

I survive on Babybels to snack on if I'm out and about. If I'm on a Uni day then I get 4 rashers of bacon for breakfast. Packs of sliced ham rolled around a bit of cheese or use iceberg lettuce leaves as wraps around fillings. There are some recipes out there to make wraps from eggs and psyllium husk fibre, but life's too short.

Went to a Brazilian restaurant yesterday. Omg. Totally meated out http://www.vivabrazilrestaurants.com/
    The best thing about the diet doctor website is the free 2 week meal plan. I've used a lot of their recipes.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I've went off buying ordinary sliced bacon of late, it's very expensive water. Instead I buy small back bacon joints

No need to pre soak but I still soak for an hour or so and change the water 2 or 3 times. Then I'll place in a large pot of cold water, bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer for 20 minutesNext into the oven to roast. With pre simmering I allow 30 minutes per 450g/½kg(1lb) plus 20 minutes over at 180 C

You have a nice piece of back bacon, something you can get your teeth into and if your feeling hungry just pop a piece into your mouth 😁

For every 100g you have No Cabs, 10 fat and 18 protein. And for those watching calories as wel 162l Granted the protein is a bit on the high side. But Hi who said life is perfect
  • kah22 wrote: »
    I've went off buying ordinary sliced bacon of late, it's very expensive water. Instead I buy small back bacon joints

No need to pre soak but I still soak for an hour or so and change the water 2 or 3 times. Then I'll place in a large pot of cold water, bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer for 20 minutesNext into the oven to roast. With pre simmering I allow 30 minutes per 450g/½kg(1lb) plus 20 minutes over at 180 C

You have a nice piece of back bacon, something you can get your teeth into and if your feeling hungry just pop a piece into your mouth 😁

For every 100g you have No Cabs, 10 fat and 18 protein. And for those watching calories as wel 162l Granted the protein is a bit on the high side. But Hi who said life is perfect
    A lot of the supermarket bacon is fast cured using a liquid, which is why you get all that foamy water when you cook it. It also contains nitrates, not something you want.

Go for Dry Cured bacon, which will cook better without the watery foam and tastes nicer.
    Try get organic, nitrate free if you can.
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Made my first "Crackslaw" for dinner last night. OMG!! Yum! Yum! Even OH asked for more. This is one low-carb meal that will definitely feature regularly.
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • pamsdish
    Never tried it, what was the recipe you used please.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure