PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer in London with 160k deposit

Options
13»

Comments

• Mark1987
    Mark1987 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just move to Bristol, if you're half decent in IT you'll earn 40k, and that sort of deposit will get you a place in Clifton. And no need to consider getting a lodger!

I was considering to move out of London but I am scared of the idea that probably I would be bored after a while. So I am not sure to buy a property anywhere else.
    Bristol is lovely and there are many IT jobs, it could be an idea...

Is it really worth to buy a flat above 400k in my situation?
    I mean, there is the risk to pay a very long mortgage + maintenance costs for something that it will never be 100% yours.
    What is a reasonable amount of years for the leasehold to buy a flat? Is there a risk that when you are still paying the mortgage you won't be allowed anymore to renew the leasehold so at some point when you will pay all the mortgage you will have something that is going to expire and it won't be yours anymore?

To me, flats are a good option if you are going to pay them in a reasonable short time and possible resell them, otherwise I would go for a house. What do you think?
    I would like to avoid to live in a small flats with kids when I am 40-50yo and still paying that mortgage.
  • ap1985
    ap1985 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    I lived in London for 11 years and moved out in May this year as I realised that I wouldn't be able to get a nice enough property on my budget....I now live in the Midlands and I don't miss London at all. I managed to get a good job albeit a slight pay cut but do not regret my decision at all.
    :jFinally going to be a homeowner:T
  • bownyboy
    bownyboy Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I echo what others have said. With that much savings I would move to Bristol. Its a great city, vibrant, young, lots going on, IT / Media jobs. Housing stock is much cheaper, you get a house and then a lodger to help with mortgage.

You will get so much more for your money and quality of life will be streets ahead of London (no 1 hour commuting!).

I know London can be seductive, I know as I did it, however it was much cheaper when I did it!
    early retirement wannabe
  • bownyboy
    bownyboy Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mark1987 wrote: »
    Is it really worth to buy a flat above 400k in my situation?.

I think you are answering your own question. You are realising that 400k is a ridiculous amount for a flat. You will not get bored outside London, what do you think everyone else does? Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh, life goes on. London is not the be all and end all of the world.

I say this as someone who graduated and went straight to London in 1997, but it was much cheaper then. I am hiring graduates now on £35k who can't afford to live as they are paying £1200 per month each for a flat share.
    early retirement wannabe
  • Mgman1965
    Mgman1965 Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    If you buy a leasehold flat don't forget to factor into your outgoings ground rent and service charges which can be eye-wateringly expensive.

Funny how these get left off EA's details and if you don't ask they forget to tell you about them !!!!!!!
  • Mark1987
    Mark1987 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    bownyboy wrote: »
    I echo what others have said. With that much savings I would move to Bristol. Its a great city, vibrant, young, lots going on, IT / Media jobs. Housing stock is much cheaper, you get a house and then a lodger to help with mortgage.

You will get so much more for your money and quality of life will be streets ahead of London (no 1 hour commuting!).

I know London can be seductive, I know as I did it, however it was much cheaper when I did it!

I am considering Bristol but no way that I will share my new house with someone. :) I'd rather eat plain rice all the time to save money. :D

I am not sure about moving out of London because I am used to change job very often and in London this is very easy. Somewhere else probably I need to stay in the same company for many years and I wouldn't have many opportunities to change or progress in my career.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure