Save water with dual-flush toilet for £10

Options
I went into ScrewFix today and purchased a 'Variflush drop valve' to turn my standard cistern into a dual flush, saving a heck of a lot of water over a year by only flushing with the amount you need. On a meter, of course saving water means saving money, and I've calculated this little device will pay for itself in under 6 months.

Fitting it is surprisingly easy and most competent DIY'ers would be able to tackle the job with no problems. If you have a cistern with a pipe coming down into the loo itself this is the easiest option as you just stop the water, unscrew the pipes, use the tool provided with the new valve and take out your existing valve and handle.

If the cistern sits straight on top of the basin, like mine, it's a little more tricky but not too bad, you just have to unscrew the wing nuts from underneath the cistern, disconnect the main water pipe and overflow, unscrew it from the wall and then you can get to the fitting underneath cistern to remove old one and put new one on.

The handle is replaced with the dual flush button and I couldn't be happier about the job. Was relatively easy, reasonably quick except I made a faux pas and didn't 'twist' the unit together properly (you'll see what I mean when you get it) which caused a slow drip to enter the pan below after flushing. So make sure it's twisted together properly otherwise you'll lose the savings by it going down the toilet! You can test for this by letting the tank fill up, turning the water off and seeing if it goes down a couple of hours later.

Happy water saving, I hope this advice helps.

IMPORTANT EDIT - I've withdrawn my support for this product, see further posts below and a new suggestion.

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only problem you might find is that an "old" toilet/cistern were designed to operate with a "full" flush only and they may not be quite as efficient at flushing away the "waste" with less water coming from the cistern.
    Still worth a try though !
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    I found this a poorly engineered product. My cistern had a handle on the side and although I tried all cable lengths the cable always ended up too curved for the half flush to work properly. Plus, it had a habit of not sealing properly after a flush, causing a constant drip of water into the bowl. You might end up using more water rather than saving it.
    Reed
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    After reading the above two comments, I've done a bit of research myself and tried a leak test of completely drying the toilet basin - there was a couple of drops in the toilet the next day. It's only a little, but with this sort of valve it's sure to get worse.

Anyway I've done a bit of research and found something called the Interflush. It converts a standard siphon arrangement so won't leak into a completely variable flushing system for about £20.

The website is here - http://www.interflush.co.uk/ - does anyone have any comments on this? I've emailed the company with some initial thoughts and they got back to me very quickly. If others are keen on this I'll be ordering on the weekend and going back to a more reliable siphon.
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    I purchased the Interflush device, and have since emailed the inventor to say how impressed I am.

It's more expensive at £20 or so including postage than the original dual-flush device I suggested, but there are two major benefits with this. One is because it works with siphons, it's impossible to leak in the same way a valve flush can leak. That means you can merrily go on holiday for a fortnight and not come home to find the toilet on constant flush costing you a fortune on a meter!

The other benefit is you only hold down the toilet handle for the amount of water you need, which I've found actually uses far less than its dual flush equivalent. Fitting it is reasonably easy, you need a gap of a couple of centimetres from the top of the siphon to the toilet lid, then a couple of marks of a pen later, one large hole and 4 small holes with the drill bits provided (that are marked up so they can't be drilled any further than necessary preventing you damaging your siphon), job's done.

It really is clever stuff yet incredibly simple. I hope this encourages others to consider this device and I'm sure you'll be as pleased with the results as I am, in particular having peace of mind that the siphon can't leak like a valve does so you know one of these will be even more efficient than the dual flush toilets that are so highly recommended by our government.
  • CrashUK
    CrashUK Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 May 2009 at 6:47PM
    Options
    Look very good. but interflush.co.uk site looks like it over loaded pages take a long time to load?

Update: Site works now.. I have order and fitted it. does save a lot of water and you can still have a full flush which stops toilet getting blocked. 15 mins to fit but they is a how to video on they site.
  • CrashUK
    Options
    Update.
    I have had a new water bill and its drop a lot.. I have been paying £44 pm and my girlfriend is a childminder so she is at home all the time with the kids.. I got a new bill and I got about £80 credit so from now on my bill will be £24 pm. :)
  • Westway
    Westway Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Having brought the device and found it excerlent i would give purchasers the following warning, buy the boxed kit for £2 extra you get the correct size drill bits as the 4mm for the exspanding fixing plugs is critical.
    Having drilled mine a little over size and the poly syphon plastic being thin they pulled through, leaving me struggerling to fix the valve (my fault).
    But not being one to give up I found a way out and for the bennfit of others like me :o( I can be the only tight wad) heres how:

Take a old credit card or simular rough the bottom face and the top of the syphon with sand paper, fix the vave to the card careful to drill the correct size holes this time, trim off some of the excess card, you may need to adjust holes in the syphon as the xspanded plugs will now go into the syphon as lock/locating pins.
    Now with Plastic Padding (other glues are available) Loc Tight or simular glue the card with valve fitted to the syphon, it will locate in the fixing hole you messed up in the first place but you have now saved the day.
    Have a cup of tea and piece of toast while the glue sets, then return and complete the istallation, Result and you now have infanite control over the flush.:j

I purchased the Interflush device, and have since emailed the inventor to say how impressed I am.

It's more expensive at £20 or so including postage than the original dual-flush device I suggested, but there are two major benefits with this. One is because it works with siphons, it's impossible to leak in the same way a valve flush can leak. That means you can merrily go on holiday for a fortnight and not come home to find the toilet on constant flush costing you a fortune on a meter!

The other benefit is you only hold down the toilet handle for the amount of water you need, which I've found actually uses far less than its dual flush equivalent. Fitting it is reasonably easy, you need a gap of a couple of centimetres from the top of the siphon to the toilet lid, then a couple of marks of a pen later, one large hole and 4 small holes with the drill bits provided (that are marked up so they can't be drilled any further than necessary preventing you damaging your siphon), job's done.

It really is clever stuff yet incredibly simple. I hope this encourages others to consider this device and I'm sure you'll be as pleased with the results as I am, in particular having peace of mind that the siphon can't leak like a valve does so you know one of these will be even more efficient than the dual flush toilets that are so highly recommended by our government.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Save Money by filling your toilet cistern from your outdoor water butt.....

All you need is a cheap water pump, some hose and a float switch.

Why do we insist on using fresh, clean drinking water to fill our toilets?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • CrashUK
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Save Money by filling your toilet cistern from your outdoor water butt.....

All you need is a cheap water pump, some hose and a float switch.

Why do we insist on using fresh, clean drinking water to fill our toilets?

I think a water butt would run out to sound. maybe a gray water system.
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This Discussion is actually on their website!
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family